Solo Disneyland Trip in August: Help appreciated!

11 days to go! I did a lot of planning this week.

They opened up 2 week in advance reservations for Savi’s lightsaber building and for Oga’s. I decided “screw it, I’m sure I can get my saber on a plane” and booked Savi’s for the afternoon on my first park day! I also booked Oga’s for an evening drink. I’m going to book another evening drink for later in the week when that window opens.

I also called and booked the Walk in Walt’s Footstep’s tour for the 14th. Plans are finally falling into place. I’m so excited!!

I also decided against the WB studio tour. It’s just really expensive with transport and all. I’d rather spend my money elsewhere. But that definitely gives me a reason to come back.

I went on a little “pick me up” shopping spree earlier in the week. Bought a new backpack and purse/wallet set for the trip. I bought new sunglasses, and some cute luggage tags in the vera bradley outlet. They also had a flamingo blanket which was adorable and super cheap. Perfect for the plane! I bought some cheap regular headphones for the tv on the plane, and some other necessities for travel.

So there we are. 11 days to go! More importantly.. only 5 shifts at the hospital until I’m on vacay! Thankful for all of the planning advice. I’m pretty much all set and ready go!

Sounds like it's going to be an awesome time!

As a fellow solo female traveler, I've stayed at the Anaheim Marriott several times (not far from the Clarion) and never felt unsafe walking back - oftentimes late at night after park close. It's well-lit, and usually has a few other folks/families taking the same route.

That said, I'm from NJ and work in NYC so I'm used to putting on my "don't you dare even look at me" face when I'm walking 😆 All kidding aside, just keeping your ears open (no headphones) and being vigilant is the best advice I can give for late night walking. When I was in college in Boston, I'd sometimes pretend to be on the phone with someone if I felt unsafe. But I've never felt that way in my 5 solo trips so far.

WooHoo for fun shopping! As long as you are in a shopping mood, make sure that your DLR shoes are comfortable and broken in before your trip! Many of us pack two (or more) pairs for the parks so that we can alternate shoes to avoid pressure points building up. And have good socks, too -- never underestimate the importance of good socks in the parks! (We love Smartwool, but there are other brand that are recommended here, too.) The WIWF tour is really fun, but does involve a lot of walking, so have comfortable shoes ready to go for that.

WooHoo for fun shopping! As long as you are in a shopping mood, make sure that your DLR shoes are comfortable and broken in before your trip! Many of us pack two (or more) pairs for the parks so that we can alternate shoes to avoid pressure points building up. And have good socks, too -- never underestimate the importance of good socks in the parks! (We love Smartwool, but there are other brand that are recommended here, too.) The WIWF tour is really fun, but does involve a lot of walking, so have comfortable shoes ready to go for that.
Thanks for the advice! I got these nice sneakers with memory foam, but I should really break them in. I’m gonna start wearing them around the house over the next days. I got such a bad blister on my foot a few months ago from breaking in ASICS at work. Great shoes, but very stiff to break in!

I read this really interesting book called “How To Be Alone” today. I mean, I’m not “alone.” But I’ll BE alone. And it really inspired me to take the plunge and book some dining reservations. Dining alone sounds super relaxing! I booked Wine Country Trattoria (I think that’s the name) for dinner with the WOC dining package. Fun story: I did a WOC dining package with my family back in 2011 when the Ariel’s grotto restaurant still existed. That place was REALLY weird.

I also booked River Belle Terrace dinner with the Fantasmic dining package. And another Oga’s ADR for the afternoon on the same day. I figured it’ll be a nice way to duck out of the heat. The heat on the west coast is so different than what I’m used to in Florida. Or so I hear. I can’t really remember!

I will be there the 8-11. If I see ya I will say hi :) I am doing this solo thing for the first time.. Even though I will be in a crowded place I am looking forward to being "by myself". I got bold and will be doing Cafe Orleans (super sucker for the Monte Cristo) Hungry Bear Fantasmic, WOC dessert party, and Oga's...

My only regret going on my own is that I don't get to share the rest of my parties food :)

I will be there the 8-11. If I see ya I will say hi :) I am doing this solo thing for the first time.. Even though I will be in a crowded place I am looking forward to being "by myself". I got bold and will be doing Cafe Orleans (super sucker for the Monte Cristo) Hungry Bear Fantasmic, WOC dessert party, and Oga's...

My only regret going on my own is that I don't get to share the rest of my parties food :)
Ahhh, awesome!!! I’m gonna be around the Downtown Disney area on the 9th, and I’ll be in Disneyland on the 10th, and CA on the 11th. I’ll look out for you!

And I totally forgot that Cafe Orleans had the monte cristo. Time to book that, too. Yum!

Hello @TheDisneyNurse ! One of your questions that I can help with was:
1) I've never travelled alone. Ever. Not even to WDW, and I live only 3 hours away. Any tips? I don't mind being alone. Is there anything around the area that is particularly fun and interesting for singles?

I've traveled alone many times. I've been to 30 countries so far (38, if you count repeats), at least 25 of them by myself. I believe that traveling alone is easier than most people think and it's helped me to become more confident and self-reliant. I've also traveled to NYC about 14 times on my own. Now: having said that, Disneyland is a very easy place to visit solo. Think of it as self-supported travel with training wheels ;-). Before I moved out here, I visited DL many times alone. It's so easy to strike up conversations with Cast Members and other guests there that it's often easy not to feel alone (not that I mind that).

I'll be there at least on Sunday August 11 (bear in mind that the park opens at 10:00 that morning (boo!) because of the annual CHOC Walk). By all means, feel free to come and find me at the rope and say hello. Many people from the boards do. You can also message me via the boards, if you like. I'm happy to show you some of my favorite park-related tricks/tips. I often meet up with four or five friends as well, however I don't think they'll make it that morning because they hate late openings even more than I do ;-).

If you'll have any free nights in LA, I go to UCB (Upright Citizens Brigade) about three nights a week. I've seen the best improv of my life there (and I'm a native Chicagoan). Shows are cheap and an absolute blast. Minor celebrity sightings there are common since many stars started there or are now affiliated with the theater. Indeed, Amy Poehler is one of the four founding members. Let me know and I'll advise on the best shows.

Have a great time! DL solo is an absolute blast! Oh - let me know if you'd like me to mail you some park maps. I've done that for dozens of other board members and it's a nice way to get psyched for your trip.

Rob

Thanks for the advice! I got these nice sneakers with memory foam, but I should really break them in. I’m gonna start wearing them around the house over the next days. I got such a bad blister on my foot a few months ago from breaking in ASICS at work. Great shoes, but very stiff to break in!

I read this really interesting book called “How To Be Alone” today. I mean, I’m not “alone.” But I’ll BE alone. And it really inspired me to take the plunge and book some dining reservations. Dining alone sounds super relaxing! I booked Wine Country Trattoria (I think that’s the name) for dinner with the WOC dining package. Fun story: I did a WOC dining package with my family back in 2011 when the Ariel’s grotto restaurant still existed. That place was REALLY weird.

I also booked River Belle Terrace dinner with the Fantasmic dining package. And another Oga’s ADR for the afternoon on the same day. I figured it’ll be a nice way to duck out of the heat. The heat on the west coast is so different than what I’m used to in Florida. Or so I hear. I can’t really remember!
Dont break in the memory foam sneakers too much. I've learned they don't last as long.. Definitely take them on a walk or two to make sure they don't rub or hurt your feet.

... I got such a bad blister on my foot a few months ago from breaking in ASICS at work. Great shoes, but very stiff to break in!..
Posters here swear by moleskin, alternating shoes, and Bodyglide to prevent blisters! Also wicking socks -- we swear by the brand we like -- never had a blister in the parks (including swing dancing!) as long as we wear them. Cotton socks? Whole 'nother story...

Just updating you all!

Today’s my second park day. Yesterday I did Disneyland Park, and today I’m doing California Adventure. I’m finishing up dinner at Trattoria. I did the WOC package. I thought the food was pretty good! I was planning to ride some more attractions while I wait for WOC, but I am STUFFED. I’m just going to chill for now.

Some thoughts so far:
1) I LOVE THE MAXPASS!!!! I love it SO much! I don’t know how I’ll get by with fastpass+ when I’m back home. I’m spoiled!

2) The photopass photographers here are GREAT! I’ve had so many great mini photoshoots in both parks. The lines take longer than in WDW, but it is well worth it to me.

3) I love the ART! I have a stop right in front of my hotel. Buses seem to come pretty frequently. I’ve never waited more than 5 mins—so far!

4) I’m in love with California Adventure. The rides, the atmosphere, the shows. Gah. Love it all! I’ve been here all day (since the 10am opening) and there’s so much I haven’t done yet. I can’t wait to explore more!

And also... I made a violet lightsaber yesterday! I have no idea how I’m getting it on the plane, but I love it soooo much. I named her Beverly.

4) I’m in love with California Adventure. The rides, the atmosphere, the shows. Gah. Love it all! I’ve been here all day (since the 10am opening) and there’s so much I haven’t done yet. I can’t wait to explore more!
If you’re spending more time at DCA, make sure to stop by the Animation Academy. You learn to draw a character. Takes about 15 minutes and they do a different character every 30 minutes. It’s the best free souvenir in the parks!!

If you’re spending more time at DCA, make sure to stop by the Animation Academy. You learn to draw a character. Takes about 15 minutes and they do a different character every 30 minutes. It’s the best free souvenir in the parks!!
Thanks!! That sounds so fun :)

Beverly is TSA approved as a carry on, FYI ;)
Perfect!!!! Beverly is gonna love the plane. She has her own bed in the hotel and everything LOL

I’m having a great relaxing day so far. I ordered ubereats breakfast from a local place. Had some great french toast, yum.

Also, I saw WOC last night and had a perfect viewing in the reserved dining area. Last time seeing this show was in 2011. I had chills, it’s amazing. I’ll definitely be using my maxpass to score a FP for another night. So good!!

So glad you're having a magical trip! Rock on! :)
I’m having a most magical time. Thank you so much for all of the advice :)

Hey, everyone! I came back home last Friday after an amazing week in Disneyland. I meant to post here when I got back, but I went to South Carolina the following day. I had a nice weekend there with my friend!

Towards the end, I did get a little homesick. Not for my ACTUAL home, but for Disney World. That place is my home away from home, always. That being said: I CANNOT wait to visit Disneyland again sometime. Thank you for the planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter