Solo from MCO to Swan/Dolphin?

Peculiar Penguin

Earning My Ears
Wife and I are on different flights, far enough apart in time that it makes no sense to travel together to/from the airport (I get to do the extra driving on the home end). I know uber is a good choice for 2 riders, but I wondered if Mears would be the best choice for a solo rider each way?

And if so, should we book in advance?

She will have a checked bag that she can easily handle, I won't, if it makes any difference.

Thanks!

I've used Mears from MCO to the S/D several times. You can book in advance if you want, but you can also just walk up to the counter. It did take a fair amount of time to get there...seems the S/D are at the end of most routes. But, you do get to seem parts of Orlando you normally wouldn't see. It took me about 90 mins to get to the hotel after arriving at the Mears counter.

I concur with goofytink. If you book Mears shuttle online, use code WEB10 for 10% discount. Even if you book online, you will still have to go to the Mears counter inside the airport, either the A or B side, and print off your receipt and ticket. It can take up to 20 minutes to board a shuttle, once you have checked in at the curbside Mears counter.

I would still have her take an Uber, I wouldn't want to take a shuttle that makes multiple stops before getting to the hotel, you might save $15 or so but to me that wouldn't be worth it.

I would still have her take an Uber, I wouldn't want to take a shuttle that makes multiple stops before getting to the hotel, you might save $15 or so but to me that wouldn't be worth it.

I agree. Sometimes the most direct way there is the easiest. And the bit extra isn't that much that makes it not worth it (in my opinion).

Don't know what kinds of problems you have had with Uber, I don't use Uber, I use Lyft. Have not had a problem in 4 or 5 trips.

I ended up grabbing a cab, was about $65 to Dolphin from MCO. Going back to MCO I had an early flight, she had a late one. Asked the doorman to get me a cab and he motions to a very nice Lincoln, which turned out to be a Mears limo for $80 something when I got to MCO (plus an optional tip, no thanks). I've informed the hotel that when someone asks for a cab they should get them a cab or tell them they don't have them available and we can get you a limo but it's gonna cost ya. Wife took the Mears shuttle for $27 and was the only passenger, and left a nice tip.

I ended up grabbing a cab, was about $65 to Dolphin from MCO. Going back to MCO I had an early flight, she had a late one. Asked the doorman to get me a cab and he motions to a very nice Lincoln, which turned out to be a Mears limo for $80 something when I got to MCO (plus an optional tip, no thanks). I've informed the hotel that when someone asks for a cab they should get them a cab or tell them they don't have them available and we can get you a limo but it's gonna cost ya. Wife took the Mears shuttle for $27 and was the only passenger, and left a nice tip.
That would be a Mears towncar, not a limo which is larger and costs more. I believe Swan & Dolphin have a deal with Mears to give Guests towncars rather than taxis. When I was driving Disney buses, I always saw a dozen or so towncars lined up out front, but never any taxis.

I usually book Mears shuttle for transportation for myself between MCO and Swolphin. IIRC it was around $30-$35 for the round trip when i booked on the website.
I have also taken cabs from Swolphin to other points nearby. The trick is to tell the valet outside that you need a metered taxi (emphasis on metered), not a towncar. That will get you what you're looking for, although you may have a bit of a wait as the taxis don't queue up outside like the town cars do.

So you refused to tip them? It wasn't their fault, they had no way of knowing you told the doorman you wanted a cab.

But yeah, good reminder that if you ask for a cab make sure they get you a cab.

This thread has reminded me to add the man's info to our Uber account. Thank you!
Mear's is too rich for my blood ($50.00 plus tip from Poly to MCO for a metered taxi) so I just take the Magic Express when available. Wish WDW would set up pick up service from any of the nearby Amtrak train stations but as things stand now it is what it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!