Solo hotel upgrade opinions needed

MusicalAstronaut

DIS Veteran
Hi all! I'm currently booked at Coronado Springs for my solo trip in October. I've stayed there multiple times though, and I'd love to switch to a better resort if I can. The first half of my trip I'm staying with a friend and then moving to a Disney hotel when everyone else heads home. Currently I'm considering switching to the Yacht Club for $327/night for two nights, or $338/night for three nights. Or, to the Boardwalk for basically the same price. Is that just too high for a solo trip? Which one is better? Should I do two nights and stay the one night in a value resort instead? I'm going down for Food & Wine so being able to walk to Epcot is neat, and I love the idea of being right on the Boardwalk for my solo trip too.

Also, I currently have dinner at The Wave booked for one of my nights. I think I'd like to switch that to something closer to the resort if I decide to switch. Any recommendations? I'm open to anything at the Beach/Yacht Club, Boardwalk Inn, or on the Boardwalk. I'm pretty familiar with the restaurants in Epcot and would like to try something new. :) Thanks!

Well, whether or not it is too high or not depends on what your wallet can tolerate. I would consider Animal Kingdom Lodge or Polynesian Resort going solo if I had the funds, but that is what appeals to me. I have a sort of adventure type personality. You are correct that the Boardwalk would be convenient, but bottom line, it is your vacation. If you can afford the extra for something nicer, and want to upgrade, go for it. Others can be more helpful on specific resorts, but on the financial end, I can understand why you would hesitate, but you are there to enjoy yourself.

I would consider Animal Kingdom Lodge or Polynesian Resort going solo if I had the funds, but that is what appeals to me.
The friend I'm staying with is DVC so I'm actually getting to do AKL for the first half! Super excited. And I agree, I would totally do Poly if I could, but it's still not showing as available for my trip. :(

Last edited:
The friend I'm staying with is DVC so I'm actually getting to do AKL for the first half! Super excited. And I agree, I would totally do Poly if I could, but it's still not showing as available for my trip. :(

Just wanted you thinking about the money as an investment in enjoying your vacation. Let me know how AKL is. Eventually I want to stay there.

You could also just see if you could switch up the moderate. I really like CSR - but POFQ has been my go-to lately if I upgrade to a mod. It's got a different vibe. That would not be as much of a money difference- depending on availability. I wouldn't do POR though, kinda boring. And CBR sounds not worth it right now.

I admit - if I was going to upgrade to a deluxe - the Epcot area resorts aren't my first choices - so YC vs. BW - no difference to me.

You could also just see if you could switch up the moderate. I really like CSR - but POFQ has been my go-to lately if I upgrade to a mod. It's got a different vibe. That would not be as much of a money difference- depending on availability. I wouldn't do POR though, kinda boring. And CBR sounds not worth it right now.

I admit - if I was going to upgrade to a deluxe - the Epcot area resorts aren't my first choices - so YC vs. BW - no difference to me.
I would totally switch to French quarter if I could, but so far it's not available for my dates. I'm going to keep checking though! That's definitely my favorite resort.

From the options you've listed I've stayed at both Beach Club and Boardwalk resorts solo numerous times (although I'm a DVC member). From these two resorts Beach Club is my favorite because of the proximity to Epcot (it's just a little closer than Boardwalk), the pool, and the surrounding restaurants. Is it too costly for a solo trip that is totally subjective and personally I say it is worth it. Sure if you stay at a value resort you can use the money elsewhere but personally when I go on vacation I prefer to always upgrade my hotel room and flights if possible. I hope this helps.

Out of the deluxes in the DHS/Epcot area, I'm going to vote for Yacht Club. I think their refurb'ed rooms are so pretty. We stayed at Boardwalk last December, and it was fine, but I loved the feel of the Yacht Club when we had dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse.

For my solo trip in May I stayed at AKL and it was perfect for a solo traveler, but if I go solo again I will stay on the monorail line I think.

I would also definitely stick to one place once you leave AKL after your friends depart...just because I personally would prefer to stay put somewhere and not worry about transferring bags and things.

Most importantly, whatever you decide, have an AWESOME trip!

I would vote yacht club because I think it has a cool relaxed atmosphere and the pool is amazing. Boardwalk has a night life advantage though so depends on your priorities. And yes, totally worth splurging on yourself as a solo.

I have stayed at both (but not solo.) They are really just so close together, I don't think the "distance" of Yacht club from the night life of the Boardwalk is much of a consideration. For me, it would come down to theme/decor. I personally prefer the theme of the Boardwalk more, so that is what I would choose. But totally a "personal preference" thing--both are beautiful resorts!

I like YC just a bit better than BWI. The YC was a bit quieter and so it had a laid back feel. BWI was bustling most of the time so it was more crowded and louder. If it was me, I'd stay at YC and head over to BWI for fun - best of both worlds.

How much more is the splurge to upgrade? If you've never stayed in this area, it's worth it. You may get hooked. I haven't done YC, but I've done the Beach Club and Boardwalk in the DVC. I liked the Beach Club better (because of the pool). So YC would be my choice. I love this area, it is so relaxing taking the boat to DHS or Epcot, or even just walking to each. My last few trips I stayed at the Swan because I have tons of Starwood points but trying the Dolphin time. The Boardwalk is a pretty fun area. If you end up in the area maybe I'll see you at Jellyrolls.

How much more is the splurge to upgrade? If you've never stayed in this area, it's worth it. You may get hooked. I haven't done YC, but I've done the Beach Club and Boardwalk in the DVC. I liked the Beach Club better (because of the pool). So YC would be my choice. I love this area, it is so relaxing taking the boat to DHS or Epcot, or even just walking to each. My last few trips I stayed at the Swan because I have tons of Starwood points but trying the Dolphin time. The Boardwalk is a pretty fun area. If you end up in the area maybe I'll see you at Jellyrolls.
It's a big difference. My Coronado total is $572 and the YC total is $1142, so it's literally twice the price. If I decide to keep YC I'll be sure to spend quite a bit of time at the hotel in the middle of the day to get my money's worth, haha. They extended the park hours for October again so that shouldn't be too hard (for example, MK is open 8am-midnight now for 2 of my days).

Hmm... well, if you did 2 nights in the deluxe and 1 night in a value, you would save between $200-300 for the stay, so maybe 2 nights at YC and a night at a value like AoA? If you're starting the first half at AKL, that would mean a total of 3 resorts. I know some people would think that's too much hopping around, but it may be fun to get a sense of the different resorts!

Hmm... well, if you did 2 nights in the deluxe and 1 night in a value, you would save between $200-300 for the stay, so maybe 2 nights at YC and a night at a value like AoA? If you're starting the first half at AKL, that would mean a total of 3 resorts. I know some people would think that's too much hopping around, but it may be fun to get a sense of the different resorts!
I haven't done resort hopping before, but I'm willing to give it a shot! That way also I can use the AKL pool on Saturday (when I check out of AKL and into a value) and the YC pool Sunday (when I check out of value & into YC). I feel like I read somewhere that Disney will move your bags for you, is that true? It's not a huge deal since it's just me though, and with online check in the only time I would need to get to the value resort is when I show up to sleep haha.

I feel like I read somewhere that Disney will move your bags for you, is that true? It's not a huge deal since it's just me though, and with online check in the only time I would need to get to the value resort is when I show up to sleep haha.
Yes, bell services will move your bags for you!

~~~

Out of the choices I would vote YC. Stayed there solo in August and it was really lovely; the refurbished rooms are awesome. Stormalong Bay is nice, too (but overhyped imo :) )

What about Swolphin for your dates? This is just on the assumption that it would be a bit cheaper, like closer to $200/nt.
A little bit of a further walk to Epcot, but closer to HS too. I stayed solo at the Swan (also in August, ha) and looooved it. Felt truly like a deluxe resort. The only "downside" is no MB charging and you have to use a plastic card room key, otherwise EMH and all that jazz are still a thing.

I honestly preferred the Swan for its resort and the quiet pool :laughing: it was always so empty, and the employees made a huge difference. I really like YC, but SAB was usually crowded, and I guess it felt like I was the only person *not* part of a family whenever I was around the resort. Whereas Swan was just business as usual (and I saw lots of solo travelers and solo adult couples). Also, the pool complex over at the Dolphin (it's not far, at all) is great too.

One thing, though, I'm not sure Disney->Swolphin bell services talk to one another. I think I've read that they don't "have to" but that they will transfer your baggage.

Also, for cost concerns, I would probably do 2 nights deluxe 1 night value, but maybe do the value night first, then the last 2 at deluxe. If you do a value, try Pop for their refurb rooms! Sooooo nice!

really hard to say if Yacht Club is worth it for you. Really depends on your personal finances. yes, it's double the price -- but it's all in how you value that $600.

If you're planning on going to epcot for F&W, I will tell you that being able to walk to and from Yacht club to the international gateway is extremely convenient. It is so much better than catching a bus and then going through the main security lines of epcot, and then walking all the way to the world showcase. From yacht club, it is literally about 10 to 15 minutes from your room to eating a croissant in France.

From Coronado springs, you'll be lucky if you're on the bus within 10 to 15 minutes. It's probably an hour from your room to eating a croissant. And forget about heading back to your room during the day. That'll burn 2 hours round trip.

Being at Yacht club allows you to pop into epcot for an hour or so and then head back to the resort. It takes almost no time to go back and forth. Plus it opens up your dining selections.

The Wave is great, but if you prefer to dine in the Boardwalk area, there is Yachtsman Steakhouse at the Yacht Club, or Flying Fish near the Boardwalk Inn. (There is no real restaurant inside the Boardwalk Inn; just a bar that has snacks and continental breakfast options). As for choice of staying at Yacht Club vs. Boardwalk Inn, do you prefer strong theming, or more subtle and subdued decor? The refurbed Yacht Club rooms have the theming toned way down, while the Boardwalk rooms are still more noticeably themed. If you like pool time and waterparks, then Stormalong Bay at the Yacht/Beach Club would be fun. Split stay with a value is also fine, and then you can focus more on the deluxe while there, and more on a park while at the value. Disney can transfer your luggage between any two Disney-owned resorts at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!