Solo on Kali River Rapids

tabbytrekker

Mouseketeer
In another thread I posted recently, it looks like I'm going to Disney World next week. I'm still in a bit of shock that I am, but excited! One thing I'm not that excited about though is the fact I'm pretty sure I'm going to melt. haha. I'm from Michigan - it's planning to snow today. :)

I want to spend a lot of time at Animal Kingdom on this quick little trip. I've only rode Kali River Rapids once, and that was in 2003. So I remember one can get drenched on it. Which, if I'm melting, might feel pretty great! At least at first...

Anyone have any tips on how to enjoy Kali River Rapids solo (which means a family member or friend can't just hold onto your stuff), without regretting the decision afterwards while walking around the park or trying to enjoy another attraction? And also without ruining one's phone?

In another thread I posted recently, it looks like I'm going to Disney World next week. I'm still in a bit of shock that I am, but excited! One thing I'm not that excited about though is the fact I'm pretty sure I'm going to melt. haha. I'm from Michigan - it's planning to snow today. :)

I want to spend a lot of time at Animal Kingdom on this quick little trip. I've only rode Kali River Rapids once, and that was in 2003. So I remember one can get drenched on it. Which, if I'm melting, might feel pretty great! At least at first...

Anyone have any tips on how to enjoy Kali River Rapids solo (which means a family member or friend can't just hold onto your stuff), without regretting the decision afterwards while walking around the park or trying to enjoy another attraction? And also without ruining one's phone?

There are free lockers you can use before getting in line. They are across from the entrance. Just put all your stuff in one and go enjoy!

We always carry a ziploc bag for my daughter's iphone,and another for autograph books, then just throw it in the backpack and take it with. The wet backpack helps keep you cool later! I'm the person who gets soaked on every water ride- I've walked off Frozen and Pirates actually dripping. And I wasn't sitting in the front either time.

For your phone there are double sealed waterproof lanyard pouches available that keep them dry. Most department stores and sporting good stores carry them. Less than $10 normally. Kept my phone dry as a bone at Blizzard Beach last year.

We always carry a ziploc bag for my daughter's iphone,and another for autograph books, then just throw it in the backpack and take it with. The wet backpack helps keep you cool later! I'm the person who gets soaked on every water ride- I've walked off Frozen and Pirates actually dripping. And I wasn't sitting in the front either time.

Where do you put the backpack on the ride? They took that space out in the middle.

Where do you put the backpack on the ride? They took that space out in the middle.
I sort of tuck it behind my legs, so it's not quite on the floor- more rested on my heels and held between my legs and the seat. My backpack is average size, but isn't overstuffed, so I can do it, but it may not be comfortable with a bigger pack or diaper bag.

Valuables in a ziplock or plastic waterproof phone pouch, in our pockets, and the rest in a locker!

I got soaked last month. Twice. You'll dry in no time in the heat. Put your bag in the lockers and enjoy!

I bring a poncho. Usually I get one at target or the dollar store...cost $1 - $2. Not only does it keep me dry, but I put my pocketbook on my lap under the poncho when riding. Its easy to store when its new, folded up, I can just carry it in my pocketbook. After the ride, I usually throw it away, or if my daughter has a cinch sack on, we fold them up the best we can and put them in there. For $1, Im not too worried about it and its well worth being dry. I once too got DRENCHED and it was no fun walking around for hours (it as cloudy that day), with your bottoms heavy and soaked, waiting for them to dry.

We usually just accept that we will get wet. I have a water resistant pull over wind breaker that I wear on the ride and it helps a lot. Years ago we got these microfibre pants with zip-off legs at AK right near Kali. These shorts along with a pair of quick drying travel underwear allow us to dry off amazingly quick. We've been looking for these pants in the parks for a long time since and there just isn't anything like them now.

Hello from Animal Kingdom!

I just wanted to say thank you for all your help!! I don’t think I’ll end up on the ride today. We’ll see. But thank you all!!

EDIT:
I ended up riding it, and the locker worked great! Thank you again!

Last edited:
valuables in a zip lock, put that into your backpack and then cover your backpack in a $1 poncho from walmart. The ride is reallly short and there's a 50/50 chance of you getting 'soaked'. Having a microfiber towel on hand wouldn't hurt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts