Solo passholders, how do you Disney?

Carolyn Louise

Mouseketeer
I just got back from WDW on Monday and I'm pleased to say I'm officially an AP holder! :flower:I moved 9 months ago to a state where I'm only an hour's flight from MCO and had been thinking about it ever since. I have a bf who loves Disney and some friends I can occasionally go with as well but I definitely want to do some quick solo trips throughout the year, just some weekend getaways etc. So my question is, are there any passholders who like to solo trip and how do you make the most of it?

I have an AP and generally do one solo trip a year (in March) and one or two family trips in the same time period. The solo trips are usually 4-6 nights, I stay offsite since all I care about is a bed to sleep in and dining is either QS or offsite. Since I'm offsite, I also have a car. Generally speaking, I'll pick one park a day and maybe hop to another for either the afternoon or just for the night show. I'll do Fastpasses at the 30 day window (remember with the AP you can only be holding 7 days at a time). I don't worry about rope drop, but sometimes I'll make it if I'm up and I try not to obsess on making sure I get a certain attraction because I figure I'll be back. I like to hit a nighttime show just about every night if the weather is decent. Lastly, I always spend my last day at Epcot because I find that the most predictable for getting back to the car and driving to the airport.

I have an AP and generally do one solo trip a year (in March) and one or two family trips in the same time period. The solo trips are usually 4-6 nights, I stay offsite since all I care about is a bed to sleep in and dining is either QS or offsite. Since I'm offsite, I also have a car. Generally speaking, I'll pick one park a day and maybe hop to another for either the afternoon or just for the night show. I'll do Fastpasses at the 30 day window (remember with the AP you can only be holding 7 days at a time). I don't worry about rope drop, but sometimes I'll make it if I'm up and I try not to obsess on making sure I get a certain attraction because I figure I'll be back. I like to hit a nighttime show just about every night if the weather is decent. Lastly, I always spend my last day at Epcot because I find that the most predictable for getting back to the car and driving to the airport.

Thank you! So do you find there is a significant cost savings in staying offsite and renting a car vs a Disney value for example? I enjoy staying on Disney property so much that I haven't looked much at offsite hotels but if I'm sure if I can get something nicer than a value for the same or less cost it might be worth looking into. What hotels do you like?

Thank you! So do you find there is a significant cost savings in staying offsite and renting a car vs a Disney value for example? I enjoy staying on Disney property so much that I haven't looked much at offsite hotels but if I'm sure if I can get something nicer than a value for the same or less cost it might be worth looking into. What hotels do you like?

Usually its less expensive. Car rates can really vary...if I'm by myself, I usually just get a compact. Sometimes I get lucky and get a weekly rate under $100, sometimes more than that. You really have to stay on top of rental rates, keep checking...the best deals are sometimes just in the few weeks leading up to the trip...but if a popular time, they may rise. Lately my favorite spot has been the SpringHill Suites at Flamingo Crossing. Its right at the end of the Western Way entrance to WDW. I've been there a few times now and have been able to get $64 a night booking at lastminutetravel.com ...no resort fees, free parking and free breakfast.

I've had an AP for a number of years and go solo at least once a year. I live in Georgia and it's about a 7 1/2 hour drive down for me so I drive. My honey hates to travel, hates crowds and hates WDW (he hasn't been since he was a teenager and played in the band there) so he doesn't go. My son is grown and has other life interests but does go with me at least once a year. I went 4 times last year on my AP. First trip was F&W in Sept solo when I renewed it, then my son and I took a quick 4 night trip the week before Christmas, where mine got extended the extra month they were offering and he converted his pass into an AP. Then in March he and I went for a week for his Spring break. He and I went back in August before school started up again just because we could. I went again for a week in Sept. for F&W solo. I shop around for hotels and tend to do split stays with a night or two in a moderate/value then move over to an Epcot resort, lately it's been Swan/Dolphin because I've found the best rate at the time there. I won't stay off site, I just like being in the bubble and even though I have a car, I rely completely on the Disney transportation. I'm in the process of retiring, which boils down to cut my hours down to next to nothing and make only enough to pay my few bills (I'm debt free but do have cell phone, car insurance, etc) but I do have savings and 401K so my trips will most likely be cut down to one or two a year now and I may have to break down and stay at a moderate the entire trip for one of them. I'm not a fan of the value resorts, they are just too busy for me and I tend to spend a lot of time at the resort when I'm there solo so I like somewhere I can sit and relax and not be bombarded by noise.

I'm about a 2 hour relatively cheap flight away - and the years I have an AP - I typically travel solo 3-5 times - with a couple other family trips that year, too.

I typically travel Sunday to Wednesday/Thursday for solo trips. I can get the time off work - and this is when you can get passholder discounts on rooms. And if I'm offsite - that avoids the Friday/Saturday night rates which are usually higher. And as half of a couple - my bf and I get half the weekend together before I head out solo.

I TEND to be more on-site for my stays - usually just a value for solo trips - though I have done moderates on occasion. So - I usually skip the rental car this way - though sometimes I splurge anyway because I like having a car. I've also rented DVC points - though not as much lately.

I have stayed off-site, too - mainly when I can't get a cheap rate onsite due to planning/time of year issue. I do agree the two Marriott Properties at Flamingo Crossing/Western Way have been great options. I've stayed at the Townplace Suites there - mainly because when I booked it was a couple dollars cheaper than the Springhill. The two are so similar - though I do like the stovetop in the Townplace. I've stayed farther away - but even with a car - I would say that distance DOES MATTER. When I've been a full 30 minute drive back to my hotel at night - that just feels like forever.

When renting a car - I stick with the places that are right onsite at the airport (so - no shuttle - just walk to car) - and I typically get the smallest car unless it's just a couple of bucks to move up in size. And I bargain shop for those. I'm a Costco member - and often renting through them is the rate winner - though not always.

If I have a car - I will make a run to the grocery store. If I don't have a car - you can guarantee I brought some food with me in my suitcase. I typically eat ONE table service meal per day - and I book that in advance when I pick my FPs/park days. The nice thing about solo travel - is when and what I eat is up to little ole me and nobody else. I can eat ice cream for breakfast if I want! Or just order the bread service at Sanaa for dinner.

The on-site vs. off-site and car or not debate - I go through this nearly every time. I just price it out. Usually my days of when I could make the trip are the most restrictive part of when I chose to go - only some weeks can I get away from work. So - I typically narrow down my time frame - and then do A TON of shopping - plane fares/hotel prices/car prices - so I can make my final picks. OCCASIONALLY - it's based on mood - or like when Pandora opened - based on wanting access to EMH - but I usually price shop.

I still believe that going with your own children is the greatest way to experience Disney World, but after now going twice solo in the past 2 months (with two more solo trips booked this winter) it is a VERY close second. It's so nice to be able to do as you please. So if you wish to ride POTC 3x in a row, there is no one complaining! I always stay on site because I enjoy not thinking about driving, directions, parking, walking from parking lots and never leaving the lovely WDW bubble of happiness.
Also with the AP, I feel it's easier to take a relaxed approach in the park knowing that the park tickets are already paid for and not having to get as much done as possible to make it worth it. My favorite memory of my last trip was sitting for 90 minutes for the Festival of Fantasy parade and talking with my "neighbors" about our love for Disney, the parks, etc.
But as others have said, getting an AP is dangerous because you will find yourself checking flights and room rates often!

(remember with the AP you can only be holding 7 days at a time)

This is not NECESSARILY true. If you are onsite, you can have FP for ALL of your onsite days. At one point, with two trips planned, one for October and one for November, I had FIFTEEN days of fastpasses booked. For those who wonder how I can afford the stays, I always stay value. I don't pay any more for Pop Century than I do to stay on the beach.

OP is correct for those who stay offsite--only seven days of FP with an AP. IMO another reason to stay onsite at a value. Being able to pay in the parks with the magicband is another. That magicband is the best thing Disney has come up with in years: ticket, room key, charging privilege, fastpasses. And now I have three of them that I can use interchangeably.

I go to Disney 3-4 times a year. Sometimes solo, but sometimes I end up meeting with people last minute. When I book a hotel I have to make a decision of whether I'll be spending most of my time in the parks, or if I'll be spending a big chunk of my time at the hotel. In the fall/spring when it's warm I like to do nice Disney hotels, but for my solo trip next month I'm off property. It's too cold for me to swim in December! I usually go Friday-Wednesday, leaving after work on Friday. A few times I've stayed off site or at a friend's house Friday night so I'm not paying a ton for a hotel that I'm only sleeping at. Have fun!

My plan is for two visits a year: a week long trip around the beginning of Flower and Garden Fest, and then a long weekend trip in the fall (provided injuries don't derail my plans, as I've missed my fall trips the last three years because of them). I stay on-site, as I do not drive.

I take Amtrak for my journeys to Orlando and back home. I live only about 10 minutes away from the station here in Hollywood, and I can get a round trip ticket for $70. Lyft from the station to the resort is about $25.

Thanks for the advice all. :) I'm waiting for my work schedule to shake out for the first few months of 2018 and then will be booking a solo trip in January or February. Also have plans to go with my bf in April. Credit card rewards will help keep the costs down lol. For the first trip of the year I'm thinking of splurging on a nice Epcot area hotel, probably Beach or Yacht Club. Can't wait to start planning!

I've been a solo AP for more years than I can count and living 10 miles from Disneyland I just typically just go with the flow. If the park is not busy during my visit I attempt to get on as many rides as I can before it starts to get crazy but if it's busy I just get on a my favorites and then I leave. There are times when I will go to the park to just watch the fireworks, have dinner and go home. When I visit WDW they are certain rides I want to experience but having the flexibility of park hopping has it's advantages. Staying on site also has it's advantages because of those magic hours and as a DVC owner sometimes I just want to chill at the resort but I usually gravitate towards one of the parks at some point during the day/evening. Have fun with your solo visits.

After this last solo trip I’m officially a AP member XD. Im excited but also wondering how to make the most of it too. I plan on doing 2-3 more trips into 2018. It’s hard to top a solo trip tho, I dunno if I could ever go back to doing group trips after spoiling myself.

I guess my approach would be just to do value resorts and do 4-5 day stay with just disney transportation. Hopefully I’ll find some cheaper flights. Also, I always find car rentals to add up so much with all the fees and gas and all that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter