Solo? So What!? So Wonderful! 14-18 Oct Trip Report - Finally done!

Canadian Harmony

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I'm not sure how many photos I'll be able to post up as I've decided to send all the ones I took straight to Costco so I can print them out and make a scrapbook, but I'll do my best. For me, the fun part of TRs are the photos, so I'll see what I can do for you.

First off... Hi again! I'm a Canadian on the we(s)t coast who loves going to DLR. My husband and I took our girls for the first time in 2015 for their birthdays and after that I decided to try to spend my birthday (or near abouts) at Disney too! I had my 50th there in 2016, we had Christmas in 2017 as a family, my birthday in 2018, a Dis Diva trip and a birthday in 2019, and then the family went again in March 2020 - JUST before the closure. I knew that once I was vaccinated I would be figuring out the best way to get me back for my birthday this fall. I wasn't sure I was going because I am currently on a Masters program, but it was a good time to go because it was in the practicum part of the course and was less structured than the other weeks.

My pre-planning included:

Flights - through Air Miles. West Jet Victoria-Santa Ana, morning of the 14th, arrival around 1pm. Depart afternoon of the 18th, arrival home around 10pm.

Hotel - Checked out the Del Sol (no availability), Tropicana, Clarion, and Desert Inn. Desert Inn proved to be the least expensive and was available the whole time I needed, so I booked it! It was around $1200USD for the 5 days. No car parking required.

Shuttle - Karmel as usual.

Spending money & Gift Cards - picked up $1500CAD gift cards before I left from Canadian Tire. When I got home I transferred $500 from one onto another and registered them in case something happened at the parks. So I had one $1,000 and one $500 CAD.

Pre-departure testing - this was the hard part for me. There are few places on the Island with affordable testing - most PCR tests are $150-$250 depending on when you need the results, and everything I read did not allow the antigen test (but I have since found out that it's acceptable). I was considering a lab in Victoria, but once WJ changed my flight to YVR, I had about 3 hours to kill, so I decided to get the test there with a 15 minute turn-around.

Tickets - just got 4 days through Disney when I grabbed my Oogie Boogie ticket. I usually get them through Air Miles but they weren't offering and I was just too tired emotionally to go hunting around to save $10.

But nothing goes smoothly.... does it!? A week before I was to leave, a rep from Air Miles called me to say WJ had changed my flights. I knew they'd changed my flight from the Island to YVR... but no. They CANCELED my Thursday and Monday flights and moved my trip to Friday-Sunday. That would not do. Just would not do! So my Air Miles were returned to me and I re-booked. I wanted WJ, but they just weren't giving me the flights I needed, so I ended up with Air Canada, Victoria-LAX, arrive around 4pm, depart 7:30 AM (!!!) on the 18th, arrive Victoria around 1pm. Ugh. I also had my insurance and fees returned to me, and used that to purchase new insurance and for the new fees. My new flight was actually about 400 Air Miles less than the original, so that was a nice bonus too.

That meant I had to change my Karmel timings too, with an increase of $50, and of course I didn't need my Monday reservation at the parks either (I usually do a couple hours in DCA before I leave), so I canceled it.

I was reading through the threads here and found out that I wouldn't even be allowed on the first flight without a negative covid test in hand, so I canceled the one at YVR and found out the ONLY Shoppers here on the Island (so far) was about an hour's drive away. I booked them through LifeLabs and paid $157 and change (GST) for the test.

Now things were taken care of, I also had to look into return testing. I found out Walgreens was free, so the day before I was to leave Canada, I booked Walgreens for the afternoon of the day after I arrived (because of the within 72 hours requirement and the 'up to' 48 hours test return time). I wanted to rent a car from Paradise Pier Enterprise but they didn't have any cars available on the Friday. I booked through Budget on West Katella, and decided to make a morning of it by hitting Knott's for some chicken and jam before my testing at the Walgreens on Euclid.

I had my birthday at home, and the next morning at 7am, I headed out to the airport!

I received my test results back in 15 hours (so the morning before I left essentially) and printed them out before I left. I also made sure to have my vaccination card with me, along with driver's license, passport, DVC card, etc, etc. One last note about the testing through LL/Shoppers: I didn't put my middle name in on the requisition because it wasn't starred as mandatory. The pharmacist said this happens a lot and gave me a slip of paper with the customer service number on it. When I talked to the guy on the phone, he said it happens all the time and added in my middle name. He also asked when my flight was, and I think that helped me to receive my results so quickly.

Also, once I knew my flight was landing in LAX, I filled out the electronic form required by LA County. It took no time at all and was linked on the LAX webpage.

I arrived in plenty of time at YYJ and parked in the long-term parking, near the arrivals end of the airport because I knew coming home I'd appreciate fewer steps!

I headed inside with my HUGE Mickey hard-shell suitcase and a Mickey backpack and my smaller Dooney purse. Turns out it was a good thing I had my printed results because, as previously noted, I would not be allowed on the flight without them! I showed my passport, test results, and checked my suitcase.

The flight to YVR was uneventful and going from the domestic to international terminal was also pretty standard. They wanted to see my boarding pass (on my phone - very cool), and border security wished me a good trip to Disneyland. I sat in the lounge for the next 4 hours until we boarded the plane. I paid the extra $43 for the emergency exit row for the leg room going to and from LAX. Totally worth it, IMO.

Upon landing at LAX, in Terminal 6, we were told our luggage would be at Terminal 5.... but not until I got to the baggage carrousel at T6. It's a simple walk along the outside of the building to the next group of doors and then inside to the carrousel. Then the loudspeaker told us which one to go to. We all made it there before our bags did.

Bags came relatively quickly, and I called Karmel. He said to go across the inner drop-off road to the outer median and stand by pillar 5G, which was where I happened to be! 45 minutes I waited. 45. minutes. I don't understand - if I'm telling you when my flight lands, should you not have someone closer to where I'll be when I'll be there? Ugh. Anyway, after calling again, buddy finally arrived. It was another hour to the hotel (thank you LA traffic), and I was FINALLY changed into my OOB costume by 7:30 and across the road outside of the gates 10 minutes later.

I'll write more in a bit, once I can figure out how to link photos for you all to see.

Hi again! I've moved a few of my 630 photos to a public album so I will link those photos here.

I arrived at the esplanade after going through security. For the first time ever I was told I couldn't wear my cape because I might wear it on a ride and get it caught. Yes, because apparently I'm lucky enough to escape certain death in the past at OBB and the party at DLR. At any rate, I took the cape off - it was a warm night anyway - and put it in my bag.

I was so happy to be back!! I got my tiny treat bag and then headed to the hub. Carthay was all lit up again and it was so nice to see.

I went over to the Headless Horseman and had a few snaps taken.

I headed over to explore the Oogie Boogie treat trail in the Animation Workshop but he wasn't there! I got some treats then headed in to learn to draw Sarah Sanderson. Super fun as always! When I emerged, Oogie was there but I wasn't about to go around again.

I went outside and found the parade in full roar. So cool. Everything moved so fast it was hard to get a decent photo of anything.

I watched (as I couldn't really get anywhere due to ropes) and then decided I was hungry. I used the mobile order through the App and used my gift card to pay. Pro Tip: If you use gift cards, put it in the Notes App and then just copy and paste instead of typing out all the time. I ordered a beer and half Monte Cristo from Smokejumpers. It was good but there was a LOT of batter on the sandwich. So much so, I couldn't finish it.

I was nearly turned away from my beer because I showed a driver's licence instead of a passport photo. I had completely forgotten this requirement of Canadian visitors. I looked at the CM and thanked him for thinking that I was under 21. "I'm 55. I think I'm okay to have a Bud Light." His supervisor agreed and soon I was enjoying a quick meal.

I left and headed toward the Maleficent Treat Trail and she was in fine form as usual.

The line up for Villains Grove was back to the entry to GCH, but I missed it last time due to a long line, so I just hopped in and was surprised it was going so quickly. It wasn't too bad at all.

I've reached my limit for photos so I'll continue on in the next post.

It was full of cool projections and sounds with some spooky lighting effects. Then, I came around the corner and the smell of roses smacked me in the face! The Queen of Hearts' rose garden was so magical!

I loved seeing all of the projections and hearing the sounds and sights. Would recommend to anyone to do it. Plus the flooring is soft and easy on the feet!

When I came out, there were characters waiting - King John (who I'd seen before), the Sherrif (ditto), and a new one for me - SMEE! I love speaking in a horribly broad Scottish accent and accusing the first two of thievery and telling them to stay out of my country. Smee and I bonded over missing sailing.

This brought me out to the Pier area. I love how it's all lit up at night.

Walking down a little further was the Plaza de Familia and I got such a kick out this silly puppers.

At the beautiful wall, I was fortunate enough to have kind people in front of me, so I offered to take their photo if they took mine. They did and I should have removed my mask because I really like this one!!

I wandered along the back of the Pier and hopped onto Incredicoaster. It's traditionally my first ride at DCA. I took my wig and crown off, but lost my mask in the process. I'm a little sad because it was one of my favourites.

After Incredicoaster, I headed to Radiator Springs through the back way. So beautiful at night.

The main street is so cleverly decorated.

More in the next post.

I then headed into Avenger's Campus for the first time. I was amazed, and completely forgot that Webslingers was walk on.

I found Captain Marvel and had a chat about my solo mission with her.

I headed out towards Guardians - line up was too long and I was too tired. I realized I had lost my mask so went to the Guardians gift store and a nice CM gave me a disposable mask (after the other CM stopped me from going there and interrogated me as to why I was going the 'wrong' way before allowing me to do so - on the street not the sidewalk for some reason).

I was getting bushed. I'd been traveling all day it seemed. I headed out through the shops after getting one more decent photo of Carthay.

Next time - Friday with DLR and testing part 1!

Loving your solo trip report! You are living my dream. I've never gone to disney alone before but always wanted to. Maybe one day. It's so much fun to see your beautiful pictures and the fun you are having!

Thank you! This is my 4th solo trip and it's so much fun! I used to go from rope drop-close, but now I take my time and just go with the flow.

FRIDAY! Or The Best Laid Plans...

Today the plan was to hit DLR for an hour or so, then grab my rental and hit Knott's market. Then get my return Covid test in the afternoon, return the car, and finish at DLR. Let's see how that worked out in reality!

I ended up across the street at 6:15 or so. The line up was nearly to Harbor when I joined it.

We finally started moving through security at 7. I was at the gates by 7:18.

We counted down at 7:30 - it was so great to hear it again! - and by 7:40 I was inside!!

I purchased PhotoPass for the day via the app and got as many professional photos as I could.

I always ask for a Magic Shot.

I went left and came through the tunnel with tears in my eyes.

I wandered to the City Hall trolley with the buttons in it. I grabbed a birthday, celebrate, and Graduation (I got my Undergrad last year) button and headed over to the pumpkin photo line up. I was directed to the side facing the castle and got some fun photos.

I made a mobile meal choice at Jolly Holiday. My traditional first breakfast in DLR, I ordered the breakfast croissant and an abuelita hot chocolate. The mob of people were all waiting for rope drop, and when it was 8am, the area cleared out quickly and I was able to get my meal quickly. So delicious!

I had my breakfast and then had to head back out as I had a walk to get down to Budget on Katella. It took me about 15 minutes - not that I was walking fast, but I was walking with purpose - and as I was about half a block away and regretting my choice to walk instead of taking a lyft, I noticed the back end of the Toy Story parking lot and an ART bus coming out. Hmmmm... filed that away for future.

I arrived at Budget on time and was given a Toyota Prius. I drive a plug-in hybrid at home, so while the car was new to me, I figured out how to get it onto electric and managed to spend the whole time on that motor and didn't need to fill up the gas tank at all. I plugged in Knott's Market parking into my phone's map app and headed out.

In about 10 minutes or so, I was at Knott's and the first parking lot is for those headed to the marketplace. The second lot was for those going to the park for the day. The last time we were here, it was a miserable, rainy March day. Today was a glorious 32 degree day (umm... that'd be...double it and add 30... about 90 degrees F) and I was wishing the family could have been there with me so we could enjoy a Knott's day. Oh well, next time we all go, we'll hit Knott's and have a better day than last time.

The market stores had just opened (10 am), and the WHOLE POINT of me going was to get some boysenberry jam and/or boysenberry butter. I went through the whole store and nothing. Just canned boysenberries and a boysenberry/cranberry relish. I was surprised because that's their whole thing, right? Not that I didn't find anything else to buy, mind you! I picked up the canned berries and the relish, some cobbler and orange muffin mixes, and "buy 4 and get 2 more free" fudge to bring home.

Then I went next door and grabbed a chicken meal. They had no sides available except biscuits and jam, but I was cool with it. I was really there for the chicken, tbh. Best I've ever eaten, and I brought the jam samples home with me because YUM!

So that was 10:30. I went to the car and drove back to the hotel to hang out. I just relaxed and ate 2/3 of the chicken and then left at noon for my 12:30 appointment at Walgreens on Euclid. And I COMPLETELY forgot to book a virtual queue for RotR.

When I arrived, the drive-through line was out into the driveway. So I parked and watched. The line didn't move for 20 minutes. One vehicle was parked in front of me waiting for the line to move, but she left after 10 minutes. The last vehicle in line left 10 minutes later, and JUST as she left, no lie, the line moved forward. That was my cue and I managed to get into the line just at 12:30.

By the time it moved forward to my turn, it was about 1:10. The lady in the booth saw my passport and paperwork I put up against the window and I said, "I'm Canadian, but if I have to pay I will." She said, "That's okay. They'll track you down." I wasn't sure if she was kidding or not. She seemed really grumpy.

She asked, "Have you done this before?" I said, "Well, only had it done TO me, not done myself." So she explained the steps: open the vial, put the swab up the nose until the cotton disappears, swirl around, then put the swab into the vial, snap off the excess of the handle, put the lid onto the vial, and put into the bag. Then put the bag into the drawer and close it.

So, I did that, but some liquid dripped out of the vial. She didn't say anything about it, so I didn't think it mattered. Apparently it mattered. She saw me mopping up the liquid and said, "Did you spill the liquid?" "Yes, I guess I did." SIGH, "You're aren't supposed to spill the liquid!" But you didn't say anything about liquid, I thought. "HERE, take this new vial and move the swab over. And DON'T SPILL THE LIQUID!"

Okay, okay. I took the old swab out (took a minute due to the shortness of the stick) and moved it over to the new vial, being VERY careful not to spill the liquid this time. Back into the bag, and into the drawer (NOT the garbage though, so don't try THAT trick!). Great. Done. I felt like such a dummy but honestly - I'm not in the health care sector and if you don't tell me there's liquid in the vial, I'm not going to know this and it will spill!

But finally, I was done! I headed back to drop the car off, and walked a block down to the Toy Story lot. It was another block along the side of it to get to the entry to the busses, but I made it, grabbed a seat, and was back at Harbor by 2:30.

The rest of my day in the next post.

Last edited:
So, back into the park! I went right this time and headed into the Opera House to check out the Muppet Haunted Mansion info they had. Just a set piece and showing the movie on the screen.

I always like to do things I haven't done before. I find something new every time I go! This time, my feet took me to the Davy Crockett Canoes! The line was short too and I didn't have to wait long to get seated in a canoe. What a fun 'ride'! The guy in the bow was really funny (gave the JC Skippers a run for their money!) and said, "The ride doesn't go if we don't row!" so we rowed (paddled). It was cool to see the area around the Rivers from a different angle.

When we were done, the guide said, "Ok, that was our first turn!" WHAT? "Yes, the first time is for practice, the second is for speed, the third is for endurance, and the fourth... the kids get out and push!" So funny. After that, I headed to the loooong line up for Splash as it was about a gazillion degrees out. Splash was a long line (a little over an hour) but standard fun was had.

I was hungry by this time, and headed to Rancho Del Zocalo for my other tradition - Horchata and dinner! I had the Tostada Salad without dressing (can't stand cilantro) or guac. Super yummy!

That horchata drink is so delicious. Absolutely a liquid dessert. I wandered through the Day of the Dead area next to it and got some great photos of the area. Here is one I really like of the set up.

I headed back to the castle hub and got some fun photos from the PP+ photographer. I took the castle photo while I was waiting and then had some fun magic shots too.

At this point I asked some friends on my Facebook for some suggestions for where to go. Someone said, "Small World!" so I headed over there and took a ride.

I love horses so I had to take this photo! Then the time hit the top of the hour and the whole thing came to life right in front of me while I was waiting to load. Continued in the next post.

Inside, I took some great photos with my new iPhone 12.

Once I was out, the new suggestion was Star Tours, so I headed past the Matterhorn...

and onto the best ride in the galaxy! The screen with the usual times and places also had a new little film about Star Tours and I was happy to see a few clips of rare places and creatures.

After a trip where I hadn't been before (new scenes!), someone suggested Pirates. I went back through the hub and waited at the partner's statue for some photos and magic shots.

And this is why it's important to keep your stuff with you instead of putting it down just anywhere. Sure am glad some random backpack made it into my shot. Thanks so much for that little extra, stranger!

On the way to Pirates, I had to get a few shots of the Halloween Tree. Just as beautiful as ever.

Pirates had a Very Short Lineup and my timing was perfect.

When I came back from my travels I saw the Mark Twain all lit up. So lovely.

My night ended with a long lineup in front of the pumpkins again, but this time I wanted the back-side. Chatting with people in the line made the time pass quickly and soon I was posing.

I took one last photo of the castle lit up before heading back to the hotel room for a well-deserved lay down with my feet up on pillows! I stopped off at the Cove Market for a 6 pack of Coors light though!

Day 3 in a future post.

I'm back! We went to Aulani for Christmas and it was awesome. That will be a different trip report! So now we're on Day 3 - the 16th of October. It was a lovely day (as always) and it was my second DCA day. I love going across the street and seeing the Disneyland sign. Gives me a warm fuzzy.

Bogie talks to you as you get closer to the gates. It's really cool all lit up at night too.

It seems to be a tradition with me that even though I check to see if anyone is taking a photo with Walt and Mickey, I always seem to inconvenience someone when I try for my selfie. This time I think I managed to sneak one in before anyone else wanted a photo.

Carthay Circle was lovely and I had tried to get a reservation but no luck. Still awesome to see the bats coming from the belfry.

I was in my Lilo dress and matching mask today in case I saw Stitch (didn't see him).

I decided to explore the Avengers Campus in the daylight. I missed most of the shows but quite enjoyed the little nooks and crannies with different and interesting things to check out. The Photo Pass photographers had all the cool magic shots.

Spider had just come out for a visit. I managed to get a couple good shots with him. The hardest part of going solo is getting others to take photos for me using my phone.

In the Dr Strange area, the visual effect was really cool but ONLY worked if the camera was at head-height. Any lower and it didn't work. I was lucky that a nice girl offered to take my photo. I wish she had told me to move forward just a little because it would have been better, but this was still really fun to see.

The door in the destroyed area of the Sanctum was really intricate and the whole area was super interesting with lamps and broken walls. It was really cool.

I grabbed a bite to eat at the Test Kitchen and afterward, I headed to Guardians for a ride. This and Incredicoaster are my two favourites in DCA. I love all the detail in GotG and always try for a photo of Harold.

The ride photo never appeared in my app. Maybe because someone removed their mask for it (EVERYONE else had theirs on, but there's always that ONE person who thinks rules don't apply to them) but I took a screenshot and saved it.

I headed over to the Hollywood backlot area and got someone to take a photo in the WandVision set for me. I liked how I was the only pop of colour in the photo. Thy did a cool job of set dressing.

more in the next post.

I wasn't planning on doing a lot of walking but after I went to the Grand to check out the annual Treat statue,

I noticed there was a scavenger hunt of sorts for DVC members. Take a series of photos throughout DCA and get e-stickers for them. Then head to the DVC offices near the Spa and get a gift (it was a button). As I was in the Acorn gift shop getting DVC march, I saw the pumpkin scavenger hunt sheet as well. This was where you go through DTD and find pumpkins and then match the stickers to the places on the sheet. I had missed the Easter egg hunt in the past, so I was quite happy to be able to participate in this.

In DCA I found a few (mostly outside stores) and headed into a couple stores as well. I was hungry and stopped into Ralph Brennan's for a bite. While waiting for a seat, I managed to get in the virtual queue for Webslingers! I celebrated with a delicious Louisianna Hurricane drink (OMG! SO good!) and a super yummy chicken caesar salad.

I continued for just a while longer but the heat was getting to me, so I handed in my pumpkin for a mug (which I gave to my daughter when I got home).

In DCA, I went all over the place for the photos for the DVC hunt. On my way, I managed to grab a photo with Dracul-Mater.

I love Cars Land for the theming. Their posters on the main drag are so funny.

I managed to come across Spidey's show at some point in my walk, and it was really cool! Quite enjoyable.

While in line for my Webslingers ride (which of course, happened just before my dinner at WCT) I noticed the Black Widow show across the way. I would have like to stop and see it but it's something for next time.

The lineup for the ride was themed so perfectly, of course! All parts of it were so interesting to look at and many things made me laugh (not this - the 'potato gun' poster did).

more in the next post.

see? Funny, right?

Anyway, by the time I got through the line and the ride, my dinner reservation was 10 minutes overdue. I booked it over to WCT and they were kind enough to hold my table for me. My table neighbours suggested I try for cocktails in 15 minutes over at Carthay, but WCT had held my table and I wasn't about to disrespect them by leaving early.

Instead, I had a blue... something or other that was really delish, and a shrimp linguini to die for (the red pepper flakes set it off perfectly), and of course, dessert was tiramisu.

Ok, two blue drinks. With Tajin on the rim!

I grabbed another photo in Cars Land and headed to the RSR ride for a turn in the single rider line. It was an hour wait, but still shorter than the 2 hours in the standby line.

While waiting for Sh-boom (before the ride), I saw the cast members hold sprints at the main corner. Then Sh-boom turned into a Halloween song and it was so lovely.

This ride is so beautiful at night. Perfect way to end my day.

On that day, after walking all over DTD and DCA, I managed to do over 16,500 steps! Definitely more than my average.

I will be back with day 4.

Last edited:
Day 4! Already?!

I forgot to mention - when I returned to my hotel after my long day earlier, I still hadn't received any notification about my test, so I immediately booked a test at Anaheim city hall for the next morning. It was $200USD, but also a quick return and at this point, I couldn't be choosy. I booked for what I thought was 7am Sunday morning, and went to sleep.

The next morning (day 4, Sunday), I used my Lyft app for the first time ever and he drove me to city hall. I gave a tip and headed around back to the area where they were doing the testing. No one was there. I was worried - had I misread the website (totally possible) and they were closed on Sundays?! I double checked and no - not closed, but not open until 8. Turns out, I had made my appointment for 7am MONDAY instead of Sunday! I quickly changed my appointment and then settled down to wait on a small rock wall area where I did a live for Faceplant and watched the squirrels run around. They were hilarious.

At about 7:45, public health nurses arrived and had the pods set up in no time. By 8am, I was first in line with about 20 people behind me. The nurse didn't bat an eye that I was from Canada. She told me that out of 60 people per day, at least 58 were from Canada! She passed me to another tech who performed the swab on me, and sent me on my way. I called for another Lyft, but for some reason, when I put in "Disneyland" it translated to "empty lot around the corner" in the app. The driver was confused too, but I told him I'd pay him $20 cash if he'd just take me back to Disneyland. He agreed and off we went.

It was my DLR day, so once though security and the gate, I headed to the hub. Carnation Cafe had no room for a walk-up for breakfast, so I went to Plaza Inn. They were more than happy to take my money for breakfast ($41USD up a couple bucks from 2020) and sat me outside. I got a few cute photos with Minnie

and had a lovely breakfast. While I was in line for my eggs, my phone rang but my hands were full with a tray, so I let it go to voice mail. When I was sat and eating, I checked my messages and it was Anaheim Health calling letting me know the results were ready. I checked my email and there it was - a negative result! YAY! That took no time at all!

After breakfast I headed to Galaxy's Edge for a wander and to do a live for some Star Wars fan friends. Of course, I needed a photo in front of the Falcon.

I love those Porgs! I went in for a ride and while the line was about an hour, the theming is so great that I was sad I had little time to take cool photos along the way. I was the only gunner in my run. Still did pretty well even if the pilots weren't all that great.

I headed to the Marketplace afterward and saw Chewie up on the balcony.

I miss the hugs he gives. Best hugs in the galaxy. I love all of the details they put into SW:GE.

I hadn't ridden Mansion yet, so I went over there to get into line. It was LONG! All the way back to French Market. Moved reasonably quickly though and I got some photos of things I hadn't been able to see in the past.

On the bottom, you'll see my guardian angel's usual pose...

Jack popped out while we were in line. So cool!

Another fun ride finished with my traveling ghosts. When I was 9, my mother took me to DLR and the whole way there I begged to ride the Haunted Mansion while all my Mum wanted to ride was Pirates. HM was our first ride and when I saw the ghost at the end, I was quite worried and outside I asked my Mum if it was still on my shoulder. She assured me it was. I freaked out and lost my mind, and we never did ride Pirates. I have felt horrible for ruining the trip for my Mum since I was in my 20's so every time I come back, I ride Pirates for her (and send her photos) and take a photo of my ghost to show her I'm finally okay with the hitchhiking ghosts (or in this case, nasty cookies)

While in the lineup for my Doom Buggy, it was noon, and I was able to quickly get a boarding group for Rise later on in the day. YAY!

More in the next post.

I wanted to get the rides I hadn't had a chance to get to a couple days ago, so I first went to Indy. The line was short and I was quickly ready to ride! I was in a car with new riders - a family and a couple - and mentioned the daughter should put her ears in the bag or she'll lose them. The girl in front of me didn't take her ears off and they flew off her head during the ride. Luckily her boyfriend caught them for her.

As I left, the line coming in had gotten quite long! I lucked out with a small queue.

Next, I headed to Jungle Cruise. The line up was pretty long but was moving quickly, so I hopped in line and looked for the new stuff based on the new movie. I was not disappointed - maps and other paper notices were added to the route.

In the ride itself, the new animatronics looked like they were always there, and while our Skipper really tried to be funny, he just fell a little flat sometimes. We ended up sitting outside of Trader Sam's new set up for about 20 minutes due to a pause at the dock.

I decided I was done with adventure, and as BTMRR was down for refurb, I went over to Fantasy Faire to check out the princesses and grab a boysen-apple slushie. It was perfect for a treat to beat the heat. While at the tall table, I could see inside the theatre where Cinderella and Elana were meeting guests, and outside, Snow White was chatting with passers-by. Then the Evil Queen came out and things got interesting!

She would see someone pointing at her and she'd point back and say, "And this is the part where we stare at each other!" She had me in stitches. Once the place cleared out a bit, I headed over and first talked to the Evil Queen, then to Snow White. Poor Snow, she was a little surprised I told her she'd have to wait until after I'd talked to EQ. She was gracious about it though and really sweet to let me take her photo afterward.

The next two in the Theatre were Belle and Gaston, and of course, I couldn't pass up a chance to say hello (especially since my shirt was specific for her) and we had a great chat about books and the fact my daughter and I are in rehearsals for the musical Beauty and the Beast (we go on stage mid-January!). When I told Gaston my daughter is playing one of the 'silly girls' who loves him, he said, "Of course she does!"

After a few chuckles, I went through to take a ride on Snow's Enchanted Journey and the refresh was really well done. Of course, the scary parts are still scary, and I was glad to see the change of the EQ into the Beggar Woman was still there.

It was getting close to dinner now, and my ride at Rise was drawing closer. I went back to SW:GE and had my traditional Yip Tip salad. It's really yummy and even though I have the recipe, theirs just tastes better than mine. Maybe it's the atmosphere. Plus, the dessert is super yum too.

I had a bit of a wait for my boarding group, so I sat near the entrance and had a nice chat with a dad who was with his baby while his wife rode the ride. When it was my turn to go, I headed through the line and again was just amazed at all the detail they put in to the queue. I managed to get a few new photos of things I hadn't seen before or was unable to capture.

I stood at the back of the shuttle this time and saw the battle outside of the window. It really is such an immersive experience!

more in the next post.

Rise is such an amazing ride, and I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't ridden yet. But here are some photos I was lucky to catch - I ended up in the front row of the vehicle during the escape. I loved hearing the comments of the new riders behind me because it was such a surprise to them.

This took me to the end of my day. I was tired and had an EARLY departure in the morning (4:30 early).

I returned to my room, ate as much as I could, drank my beers, and packed. In the morning I called down to the night clerk who had my paperwork ready and allowed me onto the computer they had set aside so I could print out my test results for the airline.

My shuttle arrived right on time and I was quickly dropped at LAX (we beat rush hour traffic!), checked in and went through security. I promptly forgot my shoulder bag at security. Ran back for it. Watched as they dumped my pop and water then handed me my bag. Went back toward my gate and just sat and waited. The flight was uneventful and I landed at YVR on time. If you've never seen the International Arrivals gate, here's what you see when you come off.

It's so beautiful And they even have sounds of ravens and the sea!

I made it without requiring another test through Border Security and over to the domestic gates. My return flight was on time and easy. I was home by noon!

Now my report is done and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed re-living it. After chatting with my kids over Christmas, it seems my next trip will be delayed to November when they get a week off and we can all go as a family. I just hope there's room at GCH and we have enough DVC points to get a villa for 5 days. I'm already starting to collect more Air Miles so we can try for 'free' flights too!

Now... off to do an Aulani trip report!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter