Solo time for Parents

Boardwalk_bride

Married in WDW :)
We decided that each parent will have one late afternoon/evening "off" to get a break but also be able to do a night thing (our daughter goes to bed at 6:30pm). I'm assuming my hubbie will choose HS for the star wars stuff. I'm stuck between Epcot (for a drink and fireworks), MK (for fireworks) and Disney Springs (shopping, food and drink). What would other mama's (or dads) do with their one night?

We are staying at Kidani.

Please no judgement for the break. It is what works best for our family :)

Wow, I think that's awesome! I've always thought I would love to have some solo time in the parks, to totally do my own thing. Unfortunately, DH is a bit clingy and would be very put-off at the suggestion. (Plus our kids are older, and never went to bed early anyway, so never had a good excuse, lol).

For me personally, I would probably spend the evening at MK, riding all of the Fantasyland rides and meeting characters. Because those are the things DH (and our kids for that matter) enjoys the least, so we don't spend nearly as much time on them as I would like. Is there something you really like doing that he only tolerates? That is how I would prioritize the evening.

Wow, I think that's awesome! I've always thought I would love to have some solo time in the parks, to totally do my own thing. Unfortunately, DH is a bit clingy and would be very put-off at the suggestion. (Plus our kids are older, and never went to bed early anyway, so never had a good excuse, lol).

For me personally, I would probably spend the evening at MK, riding all of the Fantasyland rides and meeting characters. Because those are the things DH (and our kids for that matter) enjoys the least, so we don't spend nearly as much time on them as I would like. Is there something you really like doing that he only tolerates? That is how I would prioritize the evening.
My DH is really laid back, so he pretty much tolerates evereything. I've traveled a lot alone for work to the US and Europe (we are in Canada) but he never has - so his goal is to do something on his own (which is 3/4 of a day in HS, as I do not have any interest in Star Wars). I'm thinking MK. I cannot imagine not seeing the fireworks!

Please no judgement for the break. It is what works best for our family :)
I am judging that this is a great decision. My family has been to Disney every year of my daughters 15 year life, and while we do most things together, there are some things we will do either solo or in a group of 2. It sounds like you really want to do Magic Kingdom, so go for that. I hope you have a great trip.

My H had a solo evening (and I did not because he agreed to do all vacation laundry when we got home, which was a good deal for me!). He did MK in the evening and rode his favorite rides and saw the fireworks. It was his favorite evening of the trip because he went at his own pace, could change plans on a whim, etc.

I am judging that this is a great decision. My family has been to Disney every year of my daughters 15 year life, and while we do most things together, there are some things we will do either solo or in a group of 2. It sounds like you really want to do Magic Kingdom, so go for that. I hope you have a great trip.
I do really want to do MK - I just like the food and drink options better at Epcot (but of course I can get better food and drinks at home anyway!).

When dh and I went for our anniversary (no kids with us) there was one evening he wasn't feeling well so he wanted to hang out in the room.
I ended up at WS, having a couple cocktails and shopping :thumbsup2

Disney Springs! But only because the rest of my family hates shopping.
Or
Resort pool and LOTS of drinks so I was close enough to hobble back to the room
o_O
But to be honest, I would probably wimp out venture around my resort.

Disney Springs! But only because the rest of my family hates shopping.
Or
Resort pool and LOTS of drinks so I was close enough to hobble back to the room
o_O
But to be honest, I would probably wimp out venture around my resort.

We will have lots of time at the resort already - since she goes to bed so early and we are there for 8 nights! I'll definitely try and take advantage of the AKL lounges! I was thinking Disney Springs but I think I'd rather take advantage of park time. So MK it is! I'll need to do some shopping there anyhow, as our daughter's 3rd bday is the second last day of our trip!

For me it would be MK parade and fireworks because my family does not really care for that sort of thing. I would get food from Casey’s and maybe a dole whip, find a curb, and park it for the night. I do like the evening by the pool with a few drinks idea too though. I don’t think you can really go wrong here. Whatever you pick will be enjoyable. Have a great time, no judgement here (only jealousy lol)

I love alone time !! I went with DD12 (mother daughter trip) and she did not want to do the booths at Epcot one afternoon. We were staying at BWV so she walked back while I hit the booths for a few hours. I loved it.

I never did this when my kids were younger but now that they’re older we do a date night (or two) while the kids hang at the pool or chill in the room or arcade. Sometimes the kids tell us to go because they don’t want to come with us so we get that second date night!

I would go Epcot since my kids aren’t huge WS people. It would give me time to really explore the countries. Maybe hit the tequila spot in Mexico. Things I don’t do with the kids.

Just came here to say I have never thought of this before and love this idea! Before my DD was born DH and I went as a couple a lot, and even then the only time I did something by myself was when he wasn't feeling well one afternoon and I walked around the resort by myself. It never occurred to me to go do something else...not sure why.

Our DD also goes to bed early and we have been traveling with my mom so we have gotten a few date nights, but never considered solo time.

Anyway, I personally love the idea of spending time in World Showcase at my own pace. I am going to consider this for our next trip!

Just came here to say I have never thought of this before and love this idea! Before my DD was born DH and I went as a couple a lot, and even then the only time I did something by myself was when he wasn't feeling well one afternoon and I walked around the resort by myself. It never occurred to me to go do something else...not sure why.

Our DD also goes to bed early and we have been traveling with my mom so we have gotten a few date nights, but never considered solo time.

Anyway, I personally love the idea of spending time in World Showcase at my own pace. I am going to consider this for our next trip!
I've also only been to WDW as a couple - first time as a parent! I've become so much more comfortable travelling on my own as I've had to go overseas a few times on my own for work, so I really enjoy time alone. I also know, based on the last 2 weeks off, that I need my own space from my wild toddler and dependent husband to be able to enjoy the whole 9 days!

This is a great idea! Last trip my dad was with us so he watched the kids one night while we did Epcot. It was so fun to get a drink and browse the shops and watch entertainment in each country at a leisurely pace. I would love to do it solo, as well.

If you go to Disney Springs, you might want to check out the music/dancers at Raglan Road. You can sit at the bar and have a drink/meal and enjoy the Craic!

If you go to Epcot, consider exiting the park through the International gateway and walk around the Boardwalk area. If it's a weekend, they will have buskers out and you can watch a bit, maybe get an ice cream at Ample Hills creamery to enjoy while you walk/watch.
Jellyrolls is also on the Boardwalk. You have to pay a cover charge (last I was there it was $12, but it may have increased since then) and they have two piano players that play songs and people sing along. It's my #1 favorite adult activity (you must be 21+ to enter) at Disney! Drinks only, no food available.

I would head to Epcot no question and stroll around WS shopping and checking out the countries in as much (or as little) detail as I like. Catch a show of British Invasion and any other live entertainment that may be happening, grab a drink and maybe some snacks and then catch the fireworks.

I love this idea! I would pick MK for sure. I love the park at night with everything lit up. And a little shopping in shops without the extra hands to help. I. Or ally travel with my girls without my hubby since he does not care too much for the mouse! And would love to have a few hours to regain my sanity!

I want to hear more how you get a almost 3 year to bed at 6:30. My kids lived on about 20 mins of sleep a night when they were young.
But as far as parks, my vote would be Epcot. Map out which countries are doing what shows and plan to grab snacks to enjoy while watching.

Is there anything you like to do that you're family doesn't? That would be my first priority!

I got my first opportunity for a Disney alone evening last May, when my mom stayed back with the kids. I went to Epcot because I enjoy the food and drinks there best, and the atmosphere is more my vibe than the nightlife at Disney Springs. It was great getting to enjoy good food and people watch without being rushed through the countries, and I rode Test Track several times in the single rider line!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter