Solo traveler to tokyo Disney

oconnolt160

Earning My Ears
I will be a solo traveler for my first trip to Tokyo Disney. I’ll be there May 12-19th. Anyone have a prior solo traveler? What was your experience like? Is there anything I can do to make the most of my limited time there?

I'd probably just recommend learning how to say "solo traveller / single rider" in Japanese.

I vaguely recall reading a trip report from a solo traveller who found that holding up one finger was getting lost in translation and they would put them in the first carriage / car rather than understanding that they were trying to say they were travelling alone.

The website tdrexplorer.com has a post with information about the rides with formal "single rider" lines: https://tdrexplorer.com/best-tokyo-disneysea-attractions-fastpass-guide/

I will be a solo traveler for my first trip to Tokyo Disney. I’ll be there May 12-19th. Anyone have a prior solo traveler? What was your experience like? Is there anything I can do to make the most of my limited time there?

Have you done solo traveling before? I'll be heading to TDR solo as well but I don't really see it as that different than when I did my solo trips to WDW and DLR. Perhaps the main difference is that we don't have that extra person to lean on when we are trying to figure things out and must rely on ourselves. Otherwise, it's still Disney. Do lots of research before you go, look at the maps, read up on the shows and parades. See what the food offerings are so you are prepared ahead of time of what's available. As a solo, we can be more flexible with your schedule but it's always good to make a brief plan. We also get the benefit of moving around a lot quicker.
Keep note that Indiana Jones and Raging Spirits have single rider lines so you won't need a FP for them. Also there are some closures at TDL during your time there so also look into that. :)

Most of my TDR trips are solo. In my opinion, it's the most friendly of the Disney parks for solo travelers. If you are waiting for a show and need to use the bathroom, you can leave your bag and tell a CM (Japanese people will not steal your stuff). If you have to leave a line, just tell the people around you and they'll let you back in. I think most Japanese people consider going off to grab a FP, snack or clothes as OK but leaving to ride something or shop for souvenirs as abusing hospitality.

In the other parks, as a solo traveler you may want to slip between people to get a better view during shows. Don't do this in Tokyo because it's considered rude. Other than that, do what you would do if you travel by yourself in other Disney parks.

Have you done solo traveling before? I'll be heading to TDR solo as well but I don't really see it as that different than when I did my solo trips to WDW and DLR. Perhaps the main difference is that we don't have that extra person to lean on when we are trying to figure things out and must rely on ourselves. Otherwise, it's still Disney. Do lots of research before you go, look at the maps, read up on the shows and parades. See what the food offerings are so you are prepared ahead of time of what's available. As a solo, we can be more flexible with your schedule but it's always good to make a brief plan. We also get the benefit of moving around a lot quicker.
Keep note that Indiana Jones and Raging Spirits have single rider lines so you won't need a FP for them. Also there are some closures at TDL during your time there so also look into that. :)

I've been doing so much research. i've been reading more than watching things on youtube as i don't want to spoil the visual of the parks. I am a new disney fan as the first time i went to WDW was 2017 and i became hooked so bad i've been 11 times since. i watch the tim tracker on youtube and he went last april with some other disney vloggers. after watching that i knew i had to go. this will be my first ever solo trip disney wise. in 2015 i did travel to colombia on my own however, i did it with a program and then ended up staying another week on my own. so i don't know if that is the same as i had already gotten comfortable in the country. i did not speak the language and was able to navigate fine on my own. at this point in my trip planing i think i'm just following up on small details. I actually just finished my "trip shopping" and got a battery pack and an plug adapter. (some sites say you need one, other don't so i figured for a couples bucks i would get one just to be safe). i will be staying offsite and there is a free shuttle, but i am also only 8 minutes away via the rail system.

I think there may be a few of us on here that owe Tim Tracker for our sudden interest in TDR. After watching his vlogs, I felt the same way of needing to see TDR for myself even though I haven't flown overseas before. I'm a good mix of excited and nervous.
It sounds like you have lots already covered. I'm definitely watching vlogs more than reading. And I will watch anything pertaining to TDR, some videos are super helpful and some not so great.
Many people are nervous about their first solo trip but once it's done, it can get addicting. It's great that you've already done a solo trip.
Hmm...I wasn't planning on getting an adapter but maybe I should...

I think there may be a few of us on here that owe Tim Tracker for our sudden interest in TDR. After watching his vlogs, I felt the same way of needing to see TDR for myself even though I haven't flown overseas before. I'm a good mix of excited and nervous.
It sounds like you have lots already covered. I'm definitely watching vlogs more than reading. And I will watch anything pertaining to TDR, some videos are super helpful and some not so great.
Many people are nervous about their first solo trip but once it's done, it can get addicting. It's great that you've already done a solo trip.
Hmm...I wasn't planning on getting an adapter but maybe I should...
We looked into adapters and it seems like most places we will be fine with our plug ins

Japan uses the 2 pronged plugs commonly used in the US but most plugs are only at 100 or 110 volts meaning stuff may feel like it charges slowly. If you have a 3 pronged device such as a laptop charger, you'll probably need an adapter but most American devices will be fine.

Japan uses the 2 pronged plugs commonly used in the US but most plugs are only at 100 or 110 volts meaning stuff may feel like it charges slowly. If you have a 3 pronged device such as a laptop charger, you'll probably need an adapter but most American devices will be fine.

To clarify what I mean to say was that I bought a voltage converter.

Is there anything you guys bring that I may be forgetting? Obviously I have in mind clothes and toiletries, chargers and phones.

Anything else I should look into?

Besides the usual stuff, I'm also bringing rain gear. A light rain coat, boots and an umbrella. It might take up more space in my suitcase but I'd rather have that than no weather-proof items. Oh and a few pairs of Minnie Ears!

Besides the usual stuff, I'm also bringing rain gear. A light rain coat, boots and an umbrella. It might take up more space in my suitcase but I'd rather have that than no weather-proof items. Oh and a few pairs of Minnie Ears!

Umbrellas are easy to purchase from any 7-11 (of which there are a lot) in Tokyo. They're also really cheap (and clear plastic, so you can still see all around you).

Tokyo Disneyland also normally has a good selection of Minnie Ears (although a tiny selection of Mickey Ears, but that seems to be the norm in every park). So, you may just want to grab a pair when you're there (to wear and as a souvenir).

Umbrellas are easy to purchase from any 7-11 (of which there are a lot) in Tokyo. They're also really cheap (and clear plastic, so you can still see all around you).

Tokyo Disneyland also normally has a good selection of Minnie Ears (although a tiny selection of Mickey Ears, but that seems to be the norm in every park). So, you may just want to grab a pair when you're there (to wear and as a souvenir).

Good to know about the umbrellas.
As much as I love Disney Minnie Ears, the ones here the headbands are so dang tight and uncomfortable so I buy mine through Etsy. I don't know if they are like that at TDR but I do plan on getting one or two. I've already got my eye on that Minnie Easter one with the rabbit ears. :)

We’re packing our umbrellas only because they’re pocket ones that take up hardly any space

For those of you who bring ears, TDR does not allow you to wear headbands during shows because they can obstruct the view of people behind you.

Also, TDR has the best ponchos of any Disney park. A lot of HKDL annual passholders like to buy them when they visit TDR. Not saying you shouldn't bring an umbrella but if it rains, you may want to get a poncho because they are not the clear plastic ones you get at the other parks.

For those of you who bring ears, TDR does not allow you to wear headbands during shows because they can obstruct the view of people behind you.

Also, TDR has the best ponchos of any Disney park. A lot of HKDL annual passholders like to buy them when they visit TDR. Not saying you shouldn't bring an umbrella but if it rains, you may want to get a poncho because they are not the clear plastic ones you get at the other parks.

thanks for the information. i'm not usually a fan of ponchos as I typically only use them while on vacation at WDW and the heat makes it rough. seems like it should be a bit cooler in Tokyo so i'll pick one up once I get there.

during Easter time is there only the one Easter parade that goes on, or is there a regular parade as well? I was looking at the Tokyo Disney resort page and I think I may have confused myself lol. can anyone clarify?

I'm sure there will be someone to confirm since I've never been BUT from what I've researched is that there will be 2 parades. One will be the Easter parade and the other will be Dreaming Up. Which will be awesome because I REALLY want to see the Dreaming Up parade.

I want to see dreaming up so bad. I really hope they show both. i'm also excited for the nighttime parade as the first time I went to wdw they just got rid of the electrical parade.

The schedule for Easter this year is not out yet but usually, TDR will have the seasonal parade twice a day: once in the morning and one later in the afternoon and the normal parade once in the early afternoon.

The schedule for Easter this year is not out yet but usually, TDR will have the seasonal parade twice a day: once in the morning and one later in the afternoon and the normal parade once in the early afternoon.

Perfect! I hope so ! Thanks for the Information. I’ll keep an eye out for more info closer to my trip

I want to see dreaming up so bad. I really hope they show both. i'm also excited for the nighttime parade as the first time I went to wdw they just got rid of the electrical parade.

I grew up watching the Main Street Electrical Parade so I'm looking forward to watching that one as well and its Tokyo twist on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter