Solo Trip and Using an ECV

CatNipRules

DIS Veteran
Okay, so the last trip I went on to Disney went great with the ECV. However, this trip is going to be a solo trip. I'm a bit nervous about getting into and out of the room by myself with the ECV.

We stayed at AKL on our last trip. It door was very tricky getting into and out of on our room. It took my son and me to keep the door open and getting the ECV into the room. Since it's going to be just me, I'm a bit nervous about how it's going to work.

I'm staying Saratoga Springs this trip. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated to help settle my mind.

I've been exactly where you'll be. My first time using an ECV was on a solo trip (maybe I can do it-umm, no I can't) so I was completely unprepared. Some people recommend getting a rubber door stopper to hold the door open while you enter. Unfortunately, that hasn't worked for me (taken 3 solo ECV trips), but I find that turning the ECV off, "free-wheeling" it, and "walking" it into the room works (a Disney CM can show you how to "freewheel"/push an ECV). I was afraid of getting to doors everywhere solo, and not having anyone to hold the door open for me. But most doors have those automatic-opening push buttons, and if you don't find them, people are always super nice about holding the door open. I had one lady who held the door open, then showed me where the push button was "for next time"! I thought that was so nice. I've had people who see me solo in CS restaurants insist on carrying my tray for me. Have fun!

Room doors it you can't do what Simba's mom does: bring a cane. Drive next to the door, at the wall. Open door. Use cane to push door open further, navigate ECV with free hand, wedge into door opening, proceed carefully. Return, back up to the door, open, reverse gently.

It makes sense when I do it, just not on paper.

Room doors it you can't do what Simba's mom does: bring a cane. Drive next to the door, at the wall. Open door. Use cane to push door open further, navigate ECV with free hand, wedge into door opening, proceed carefully. Return, back up to the door, open, reverse gently.

It makes sense when I do it, just not on paper.

Thanks for that idea. I always carry a folding cane for when I walk (well, what counts for walking with me!) and it beats getting off the ECV.

I'm a great fan of the doorstop. You do have to find the sweet spot where it won't move on you too much. And you have to get the doorstop secured by pushing hard on it against the door. You can maybe practice at home with placement of the doorstop.

I would never have the strength to push a door with a cane.

And it won't hurt to have both.

Doorstops can work great on some Resort doors... and others not so much!

After one trip where I was particularly frustrated about the door situation, hubby did this for me:

*2* doorstops - both have a hole drilled through the "high end" in the center. Through that hole, I slipped a long, wide grosgrain ribbon, and knotted it from underneath. I tucked the knot up into the "hollow" underside of the doorstop, and then secured the knot with hot glue.

Did that twice, to both doorstops. Here's why:

At some WDW Resorts, the gap under the door is actually taller than a standard doorstop. Solution? Stack the doorstops, one on top of the other. The long ribbons are so you can yank the doorstops out after you are in the room! I have made the ribbons long enough that I can lay the end over the door handle, and don't have to stoop over. (So yes, you are looking at about 3 feet of ribbon!)

The hubs suggested a "double length" ribbon for the next trip - with one door stop on either end!

When I'm out of the room, I take it with me, and just wind the ribbons around the doorstop, and leave it in the bottom of my basket.

Alternate use scenario: You can also stick the doorstop into the EDGE of the door, after it's opened. So, the "slot" between the door frame and the door is where you wedge the doorstop. Again, if it happens to be too wide, use 2 doorstops, stacked together.

When I'm not alone, I have a set of two doorstops that a companion can just place and remove without the ribbons. But if I need or want to go back to the room alone for any reason, or if I ever go get that solo trip... I've got my doorstops all "tied" up! :upsidedow

My last 2 trips were solo using an ECV. Last April I stayed at AKL and was using a cheap rubber doorstop. There were times that the door just wouldn't saty open with it unless I really jammed it underneath. This past January I stayed at the Boardwalk and upgraded my doorstop to the "Stoppy" doorstop pictured below. It was great! Since it is curved it can accommodate any size gap under the door. I got mine at Target, but they also have them on Amazon.

Most places have the button to open the doors, but the Boardwalk is seriously lacking. Most of the time, I had to wait for someone to open the door for me, unless it was already propped open. Other guests were always very nice about it and I made sure to say Thank You.

14767794_Alt01

i second the stoppy.

also, bell services puts their doorstop in the gap edge of the door when it is open [inserted from the hall side], not under the door. seems to work well.

sw

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter