Solo trip being lonely?

thats_so_pj

Earning My Ears
Just looking for some advice. Heading on a solo trip soon and was just wondering does anyone get lonely during the trip. I am just thinking. If I have no one to talk to do you normally find someone to talk to or is it just being alone all day. I am just getting nervous I enjoy being alone but can see how being alone for a week can get lonely.

Wow, you asked a really good question! I've traveled solo to both WDW and DL, and have had a magical time! Once I even traveled solo on my birthday, and stopped by City Hall on my way in to get an "It's my birthday!" pin. Once I put it on, people kept wishing me happy birthday wherever I went throughout the parks! I just usually said, "Thank you!" and let it go at that, but some stopped me and asked me a few questions about where I was from, etc. While walking to Fantasyland from Tomorrowland, the 4 sax players saw my pin and started playing "Happy birthday" and got a total and complete stranger to sing it to me along with the music! It was magical! One of the big perks of going by yourself is that you don't have to wait in stand-by lines -- you can usually walk up to the attraction and walk in the single rider line (do they still have those?) and get on almost everything as if you had unlimited fastpasses, depending on what time of the year it is. I'll tell you, it might seem lonely in the beginning, but the more you do, the less bored/lonely you'll feel.

What you could also do is see how many people you can get together on Disboards to meet and have coffee with you somewhere in the World. I did this on the same trip, and I met a wonderful woman whom I'd been corresponding with for a couple of years online, but never met, and along with her husband, they took me to Kona Cafe and they bought me dinner and a piece of birthday cake! So it's only how you look at your trip as a single traveler. If you WANT it to be lonely, it will be. If you make the most of it, you'll speak to lots of people on any given day.

Just as an FYI, I'm traveling solo for about my 4th time to WDW at the end of April for 8 days. When are you going?

Dan

Wow, you asked a really good question! I've traveled solo to both WDW and DL, and have had a magical time! Once I even traveled solo on my birthday, and stopped by City Hall on my way in to get an "It's my birthday!" pin. Once I put it on, people kept wishing me happy birthday wherever I went throughout the parks! I just usually said, "Thank you!" and let it go at that, but some stopped me and asked me a few questions about where I was from, etc. While walking to Fantasyland from Tomorrowland, the 4 sax players saw my pin and started playing "Happy birthday" and got a total and complete stranger to sing it to me along with the music! It was magical! One of the big perks of going by yourself is that you don't have to wait in stand-by lines -- you can usually walk up to the attraction and walk in the single rider line (do they still have those?) and get on almost everything as if you had unlimited fastpasses, depending on what time of the year it is. I'll tell you, it might seem lonely in the beginning, but the more you do, the less bored/lonely you'll feel.

What you could also do is see how many people you can get together on Disboards to meet and have coffee with you somewhere in the World. I did this on the same trip, and I met a wonderful woman whom I'd been corresponding with for a couple of years online, but never met, and along with her husband, they took me to Kona Cafe and they bought me dinner and a piece of birthday cake! So it's only how you look at your trip as a single traveler. If you WANT it to be lonely, it will be. If you make the most of it, you'll speak to lots of people on any given day.

Just as an FYI, I'm traveling solo for about my 4th time to WDW at the end of April for 8 days. When are you going?

Dan

Hi Dan Thanks for the reply. Put me at ease a bit. I am actually travelling same time as you then. April 24 - May 6. And it's my birthday while down there :). I would love to meet up with people but not sure how to go about it. I'm staying at the CBR during that time so going to spend some time roaming the resort as apparently it's huge

Just looking for some advice. Heading on a solo trip soon and was just wondering does anyone get lonely during the trip. I am just thinking. If I have no one to talk to do you normally find someone to talk to or is it just being alone all day. I am just getting nervous I enjoy being alone but can see how being alone for a week can get lonely.

Group trips are fun and solo trips are fun. I love both. It is easy to chat with strangers in line for attractions, even if you are shy.

If you are feeling the need to be social:
  • book a tour like Keys to the Kingdom; over the course of the day you'll make new friends
  • meet up with online disney friends who you haven't met in person before
  • take a friend from home on a "walk" around disney via Skype/GoogleHangout/Facetime/whatever video chat app you use on your phone
  • make a vlog

Hi Dan Thanks for the reply. Put me at ease a bit. I am actually travelling same time as you then. April 24 - May 6. And it's my birthday while down there :). I would love to meet up with people but not sure how to go about it. I'm staying at the CBR during that time so going to spend some time roaming the resort as apparently it's huge

The resort is huge, I've stayed there before. If you've never walked down to the far end of the resort, you'll notice that right across the street is the entrance to the Pop Century and I think, and Cast Member training building. At least that's how I remember seeing it. Wait... maybe that was Coronado Springs. Oh well, a walk around the grounds is definitely doable. On an off-day from the parks, it's a very relaxing walk. :)

I've been going solo at least once a year for the last 4 or 5 years. I love it, and no I don't get lonely. I've struct up conversations with people in lines and ended up riding the ride with them, then we both go our own way afterwards. Last Sept. I was in line for SDMT, it was an EMH night but still the line was about 30 min. wait, so what, I don't have anyone else to please but me. So, I'm happily waiting in line reading my kindle on my phone and the lady in front says excuse me. Turns out it's a family with 3 small kids, the ride only seats two per car and all their kids were under the age where they could ride alone. She asked if the older little girl could ride with me. (I must look friendly and harmless). I said of course and suggested Dad and one kid ride in the car in front and Mom and the other kid ride in the car behind so the little girl would have eyes on a parent at all times and the parents would have eyes on her as well. She was real shy and kind of scared at first but my mama gene kicked in and I started pointing things out and asking her questions about the story and before the ride was over she was laughing and having a good time. They thanked me and went on their way, I got a good memory. If you want to interact with people you can, if you don't want to, that's easy too.

I think it depends on how used to being alone you are. I am very used to it, and don't really mind, though I admit I do like having a friend, or meeting people. I am a talker and will often chat with people in lines. Brief chats with CMs are nice too.

don't forget that you can always facetime with people back home. The Wifi coverage in the parks and resorts is pretty good (and some rides too). I was on a ride with three teenagers last year and they were facetiming the entire time. The photopass picture is pretty funny b/c the three girls are all holding their phones and looking at them as opposed to the actual ride.

I don't find it lonely. The way I put it is that every trip to Disney is different, not only with what has changed at Disney, but your traveling party, if any. Kids grow up and their progression dramatically change the way you go around a park. I tend to do a trip differently if my wife is with me or if the kids (now adult) are in tow. The same goes for solo trips and while you may not directly have someone to talk to, the solo trip has one big advantage: you do what you want, when you want. If you want to sleep in one day, do it. If you want to sit on a bench in World Showcase and people watch for awhile, do it. If you need to talk, I've always found that castmembers are often chatty.

I have a solo trip coming up in a few weeks and its hard to think of much else. It'll be great, and then it'll be nice going back home.

Don't hesitate...do it and have a blast!

I love solo trips. I usually go when my husband is hunting in Pennsylvania or when he doesn't have the extra vacation time. You get to do whatever you what whenever you want or nothing at all. I like to go to movies at CityWalk and also Universal mainly. I'm a PT so I'm use to talking to people I just met. Plus when you tell someone you're a PT they usually start telling you all types of things about themselves or their parents. I love my job so it works out great.

I usually try to help people that look lost or take pictures for people if no cast members are around.

I've done all sorts of solo trips.... multiple week long+ stays at WDW, month long trips to Europe, 7-14 days on a Disney Cruise, week long stay at Aulani and even a week long stay in Iceland. I clearly have no problem being alone and not conversing with anyone plus there's all this stimuli around me (rides, checking out museums, scuba diving, bicycle riding, hiking, character pictures, shows, people watching, etc.) that I'm entertained enough. However my solo trip to Iceland last was a bit different and I did feel a bit lonely at times. Yes, it was beautiful and I had a wonderful time but it was winter, the sun rose at 10AM and went down at 4PM so my time frame to do thing with the sun out was limited. Yeah, I did things during the evening (northern lights, spas, exploring) but it was winter time so I didn't say out much and being the type of person who doesn't hang out in bars I have to admit I did get a bit lonely.

In all my solo trips, there was only once I felt lonely. That was at DFW, when I was changing planes. At WDW? Never! Other guests and CMs are always so willing to strike up a conversation with you if you feel the need for companionship.

I've gone solo three times in the past couple years and I've never felt lonely at the parks -- and I'm the kind of person that tends to feel lonely at home (or even at work) a lot. The people surrounding you in lines tend to become your short-term line friends, and I've always found the castmembers to be extra friendly when they see someone traveling alone, to try and make the trip a little more magical. One thing I do to try and help alleviate any possible loneliness is book multiple character meals. It might seem strange, but that moment when you're dining alone and Snow White or Winnie the Pooh comes over to your table makes for a great feeling. One time at 1900 Park Fare, Lady Tremaine actually sat down at my table for about 10 minutes and we had a lengthy conversation (with her staying in character the entire time).

I'm introverted and do things alone even when I'm at home. That being said, yes, I do have bouts of loneliness at WDW. However, they typically don't last long. After all, I can video chat with my family and keep up with friends on social media. I'm not the type to start a conversation with someone in line, but even so, you have plenty of human interaction at WDW! I did a tour on my first solo trip and here were several friendly, inclusive people. On my second solo trip, I attended MNSSHP, did a couple of character meets and greets, and went trick or treating.

Last edited:
It depends...I travel a lot on my own...live alone and generally like being on my own. I do solo trips as well as family/friend trips to WDW. The memories of the nightmares of the group trips can make me very happy to be solo. They are not all bad...but there was a family member meltdown in front of expedition Everest that lives on in my mind...but even with all that the lonely bug can hit...esp because there are a lot of families around...if they are screaming at each other...you will be glad to be on your own...but if you find yourself feeling blue, I found a sure fire trick. Smile. Smile at people and they will talk to you and you will be less lonely. Smile at cast members and they will smile back and chat. Also, I found pin trading to be a great way to interact with folks.

Actually, there are ways to feel less lonely. You can dine at places like Teppan Edo and the Biergarten where you sit as a group at a table. Some restaurants have tables very close together like Coral Reef and it's very easy to strike up a conversation there with your neighbor.

Ride queues are easy, too. Everyone is waiting in line; so, it's like a captive audience. Maybe, a few times someone doesn't want to have a conversation, but overall people will talk.

For parades and fireworks everyone is held captive again.

Taking a tour is more in smaller groups and it's very easy to talk in that situation.

I love doing the Imagineer Lunch and that's a small group and easy to make conversation.

Actually, I found myself most lonely in my room. I would stay in the parks pretty late. So, in my room I would call back home and catch up on texting and e-mails in my room.

If you like to drink there are poolside bars. It's easy to talk there.

Actually, there are ways to feel less lonely. You can dine at places like Teppan Edo and the Biergarten where you sit as a group at a table.

Actually my experience wasn't good dining as a solo at group tables. When I ate at Teppan Edo, they seated me next to a young girl who was just "too cool" to be at Disneyworld with her family. Any attempt at conversing with her, asking her questions, was met with monosyllabic grunts. At the end of the meal, I don't know which ch one of us was more anxious to get out of there. That's when I decided that there are worse things than dining solo-that is, wishing I was solo! I'd much rather enjoy the fish swimming by at Coral Reef or watch the tourists walk by at Chefs de France or even watch the movie at Sci Fi Drive Inn.

Actually my experience wasn't good dining as a solo at group tables. When I ate at Teppan Edo, they seated me next to a young girl who was just "too cool" to be at Disneyworld with her family. Any attempt at conversing with her, asking her questions, was met with monosyllabic grunts. At the end of the meal, I don't know which ch one of us was more anxious to get out of there. That's when I decided that there are worse things than dining solo-that is, wishing I was solo! I'd much rather enjoy the fish swimming by at Coral Reef or watch the tourists walk by at Chefs de France or even watch the movie at Sci Fi Drive Inn.

I hear you, but I would just try to change seats to someone at least in my age category. You really don't get served immediately; so, you can possibly rearrange where you are sitting there. Also, I would try to sit the long way where you have a better chance of someone to the right and left of you. You have a better chance that way. I know this can happen and sometimes you're stuck.

I agree, I much prefer eating alone than sharing a table with strangers. Small talk with strangers gives me mucho anxiety lol! It's why I prefer to make TS ADR's while traveling solo as opposed to doing QS, where almost every time, I've ended up being asked to share a table with families who ignore me, and make me feel like I'm encroaching on their space. Pass!

My biggest fear going into my first solo trip was feeling lonely, mostly because my family told me I would be! Turns out they were totally wrong. I've met some amazing people on my solo trips..in lines, through these forums...solo trips are only as solo as you want them to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter