Solo trip being lonely?

I went on my first solo trip last week and had an amazing time. I was there for 5 days and not once was I lonely. I didn't have a lot of people strike up conversations with me like a lot of people have said but even still I was never lonely. I downloaded a book on my phone and would read that at dinner or if I was in a long line for a ride. I'm already planning my next solo trip for later this year!

I've been on two solo trips and felt lonely for about 5 minutes on the second one. It depends on your personality, but there is so much to do at Disney to distract yourself.

I had the same concerns before my first solo trip to Disney. I too enjoy my alone time but didn't know if it would be TOO much alone time. Not once did I feel lonely or regret my decision! I am going again for my second solo trip in May. There is so much to do, you are just too busy having fun to feel lonely. Plus you get to do what you want when you want and you can get through the parks much quicker. I just hopped around all day. I definitely recommend it!

I haven't done a full week solo, but on my solo trips when I would start to feel lonely I would just change scenery. I went to the pool for a bit, went to another park, popped over to see a different resort, etc.

My DH and I will be at Epcot on May 5th if you want to meet up!

Hi Dan Thanks for the reply. Put me at ease a bit. I am actually travelling same time as you then. April 24 - May 6. And it's my birthday while down there :). I would love to meet up with people but not sure how to go about it. I'm staying at the CBR during that time so going to spend some time roaming the resort as apparently it's huge

Hi! I'm a local! I'll message you!

My one and only solo trip was my favorite trip of all! I thought that I would be too much in my own head, but I was pleasantly surprised at how many people actually strike up conversations with you when they see you're alone. I think maybe you just tend to look a little more approachable because you're not constantly immersed in convos with your friends or family. You'll notice just how in their own little bubble people will be. It's fun to just people watch. My favorite part was cutting out all of the extra babble like, "okay so do you want to run in this store and then we'll hit Test Track and head towards our lunch spot?" ...you just go at your own pace and sit down when you want to sit down, and move on when you want to move on. There's no conversation about every move you make. It's sooo nice! You don't realize just how much "traffic directing" you tend to do when you are with someone else. Every decision has to be spoken allowed. lol

I've gone by myself and struck up many conversations with people in lines. One thing that I do because I just enjoy it, but it would be a good way to strike up conversation is when you're interacting with a college program cast member (and they're not busy) take a glance at the university listed on their name tag. If you know anything at all about their school or region (something complimentary, of course) mention it. If they've had bad weather, ask how their friends are making out. If you don't know anything, ask them about their school anyway. The kids' eyes invariably light up and they are thrilled to have someone to talk to about their college - I think it helps with homesickness, because for many of these kids, college is their first time going off on their own, so they made that their home, and here they are in a new strange place, and they're feeling homesick all over again. From a purely selfish standpoint, I learn all about different college and universities all over the USA this way!

Also, if there's a family with kids behind me (it helps that I'm old enough to be the kids' grandmother) I will find something good the kid is doing and compliment them on it. Like "I noticed that even though you look tired and hot and bored you are doing your best to be polite to your parents. That's really impressive!" or "You are so sweet to your little brother. I bet you're a great big brother and your parents are proud of you." Even the most ill-behaved child is probably doing SOMETHING right at some point. This is purely selfish behavior on my part, of course, because once you've a kid that you think he/she is a good, well-behaved child, they will usually act like it for the rest of the line wait, but sometimes this leads to hour long conversations with parents while we wait.

I've gone by myself and struck up many conversations with people in lines. One thing that I do because I just enjoy it, but it would be a good way to strike up conversation is when you're interacting with a college program cast member (and they're not busy) take a glance at the university listed on their name tag. If you know anything at all about their school or region (something complimentary, of course) mention it. If they've had bad weather, ask how their friends are making out. If you don't know anything, ask them about their school anyway. The kids' eyes invariably light up and they are thrilled to have someone to talk to about their college - I think it helps with homesickness, because for many of these kids, college is their first time going off on their own, so they made that their home, and here they are in a new strange place, and they're feeling homesick all over again. From a purely selfish standpoint, I learn all about different college and universities all over the USA this way!

That's such a good suggestion! It reminds me of another one. DH has lots of pesos, since we live right next to the Mexican border. So often, when he sees a Disney CM who's from Mexico, he'll "pretend" to try to pay with pesos (until he "realizes" his mistake and gets the US cash). That always leads to the CM talking all about their community. Or for other countries, if you've ever been there, CMs are ecstatic. Mom was lucky enough to have visited Morocco, mentioned it to a CM in the Moroccan pavilion, and he was so happy to talk about it. Please notice where CMs are from. Especially if you're solo, it kind of gives them permission to talk all about it.

I did my first solo trip two years back and had a great time, but I will admit that by the end it was a little lonely (went for 8 nights). That being said, the huge plus was being able to come and go as I wanted; my DH is not an early riser, and when we travel I'm always waiting for him to get his butt in gear -- I did NOT miss that, LOL!

I will often strike up conversations with people in line, and if you're eating somewhere family style there is usually someone to talk to there as well. I always take a day to go to Universal Studios, and do the same thing there.

Just wanted to say - this is a really great thread. I am considering a solo trip myself (none of my friends are that interested in Disney) and this was REALLY helpful!

And I remember one night, I mentioned to the CMs at Spaceship Earth when I got off (I thought) that I was looking for Hidden Mickeys and had only found one on the ride. Well, they sent me around two more times, gave me little hints to find more, and we had so much fun! Definitely talk to CMs!

AS the date approaches the more nervous I get about this trip. Good thing Disney as a lot of bars to keep me company lol

hey live about 60 to 90 minutes from WDW - if you want company - Now my tickets don't include sat or sun - but mon-fri can meet - not a grandmother - but in that age group.

that say never had problems talking to others in lines - it can definitely be fun.

heck I move to Florida because of WDW.

Just looking for some advice. Heading on a solo trip soon and was just wondering does anyone get lonely during the trip. I am just thinking. If I have no one to talk to do you normally find someone to talk to or is it just being alone all day. I am just getting nervous I enjoy being alone but can see how being alone for a week can get lonely.

I am going on my third solo trip the last week of April. Funny how many of us are going at the same time. You'd be surprised how little actual conversation is held with a party of friends and family. It's mostly "I'm hungry, let's not go there, let's go here, I'm tired, boy is this nice!, etc."
You end up having better conversations with the people you meet in line, even when you're with people. One year I met a woman in the line for Kilimanjaro safaris who was in attendance on opening day of Disneyland. I felt like I was in the presence of Disney royalty!
The other great thing is the freedom to do the obscure things that other people may not want to do.

I always liked the name of Downtown Disney
Everyone there felt it had a lot to offer families
Very family oriented

City walk is the entertainment, dining , shopping portion for Universal Orlando parks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter