Solo trip to TDR...

Shock13

DIS Veteran
So a few of my favorite youtube vloggers just returned from TDR and now I'm hooked. I've always had my eye on doing Disney in Tokyo but after seeing all the cool things over there, I'm in that "semi-committed" stage. I was thinking about going this fall but after seeing the Easter decorations I think next spring is the best. And because I don't have rich friends or Disney-interested family members I'm probably going to do this thing solo. Which could be fine since I've done WDW and USR solo and other trips as well but...another major issue is that I'm visually impaired. This still hasn't deterred me from wanting to go however. After doing some light research, I found out about the airport limousine which takes you directly to the hotel (which will probably be Sheraton or Hilton) and then easy access to the parks via monorail.

Also I don't think I can do just 4 days. With my vision issues I go at a much slower pace and I can't tour the parks after it gets dark so I'm thinking maybe 8 days? Seriously not sure and I have PLENTY of time to come up with a good touring plan that works for me.

My biggest issue however is that if I go on my own, I won't be doing any non-Disney touring. Too many factors that would just make me anxiety-riddled. For sure it would be a disappointment to miss Tokyo but everyone has their limitations and I know mine pretty well.

Going to Disney on my own being visually impaired always brings about a bit nervousness as I have to deal with crowds and etc but overall it has never deterred me from going to the parks as the customer service has always been impeccable and the CM's are sooo accommodating when it comes to my specific needs. I just love Disney too much to not go.

Besides, I really want to get my hands on all that Gelatoni merch!

Just had to share...:)

Hey @Shock13 - a few things to note before you plan your trip.

The Tokyo parks do have a pass like the DAS in the US that will allow you to sit up close for any shows you might want to see. I'm not sure if you would be interested in using this because the shows are in Japanese.

However, the CMs are not able to assist you with boarding or evacuating. Many of the attractions will require you to have a companion with you if your visual disability means that you cannot safely board or evacuate on your own. This information is posted at the entrance to each ride with this type of restriction & is probably published somewhere online. I will try to remember to look for it later.

Also, not every CM speaks English, so you might want to be familiar with the layout of the parks before you arrive, if you think you might have an issue reading the paper maps.

Hey @Shock13 - a few things to note before you plan your trip.

The Tokyo parks do have a pass like the DAS in the US that will allow you to sit up close for any shows you might want to see. I'm not sure if you would be interested in using this because the shows are in Japanese.

However, the CMs are not able to assist you with boarding or evacuating. Many of the attractions will require you to have a companion with you if your visual disability means that you cannot safely board or evacuate on your own. This information is posted at the entrance to each ride with this type of restriction & is probably published somewhere online. I will try to remember to look for it later.

Also, not every CM speaks English, so you might want to be familiar with the layout of the parks before you arrive, if you think you might have an issue reading the paper maps.

Thank you for informing me about the DAS. I wouldn't mind if the show is in Japanese. That is what makes it interesting going to another country.

Apologies if I made it sound like I expect the CM's to accommodate me as that is certainly not the case. I understand that each CM has a specific duty and post and I don't want to deter them from that. I sometimes use a white cane and if a CM sees it they often ask me if they can assist me with various things. I will certainly take them up on that offer if they extend it. Otherwise if I know the queue area is too dark or the ride vehicle is difficult to get in/out of then I pass on the ride. I've missed out on experiences in the past but that's fine as there is more to see and do that won't be an issue. Besides going on a well-lit ride isn't an issue as much as carrying a tray of food from the counter to the table.

Because maps are difficult for me to read, I always prepare myself when I'm in unfamiliar parks relying on sign postage and etc to get where I need to go. As long as the CM's can point me in the right direction for the nearest bathroom (as they are often hidden or behind other things) then I'm good.

Thank you for informing me about the DAS. I wouldn't mind if the show is in Japanese. That is what makes it interesting going to another country.

Apologies if I made it sound like I expect the CM's to accommodate me as that is certainly not the case. I understand that each CM has a specific duty and post and I don't want to deter them from that. I sometimes use a white cane and if a CM sees it they often ask me if they can assist me with various things. I will certainly take them up on that offer if they extend it. Otherwise if I know the queue area is too dark or the ride vehicle is difficult to get in/out of then I pass on the ride. I've missed out on experiences in the past but that's fine as there is more to see and do that won't be an issue. Besides going on a well-lit ride isn't an issue as much as carrying a tray of food from the counter to the table.

Because maps are difficult for me to read, I always prepare myself when I'm in unfamiliar parks relying on sign postage and etc to get where I need to go. As long as the CM's can point me in the right direction for the nearest bathroom (as they are often hidden or behind other things) then I'm good.
I think it's called the Guest Assistance Card & you can collect one in various locations, but you might find Guest Relations the easiest as there's a high likelihood of an English-speaking CM being there.

It didn't sound that way at all! I wasn't sure how much assistance CMs in the US are able to provide & didn't want you to be disappointed if they do one thing there & another thing here.

Here are those lists of attractions with boarding restrictions:

https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/tdl/bfree/view
https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/tds/bfree/view

I hope you have a great time if you decide to make the trip :)

I think it's called the Guest Assistance Card & you can collect one in various locations, but you might find Guest Relations the easiest as there's a high likelihood of an English-speaking CM being there.

It didn't sound that way at all! I wasn't sure how much assistance CMs in the US are able to provide & didn't want you to be disappointed if they do one thing there & another thing here.

Here are those lists of attractions with boarding restrictions:

https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/tdl/bfree/view
https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/tds/bfree/view

I hope you have a great time if you decide to make the trip :)

Thank you for the info! I try to be as independent as possible but not everything is doable which I'm fine with. The rides that have dark queues and boarding areas are the worst for me so based on videos and pictures it looks like Journey to the Center of the Earth, Indiana Jones and Haunted Mansion are out. I have no idea if 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea has a dark queue area as well?

Thank you for the info! I try to be as independent as possible but not everything is doable which I'm fine with. The rides that have dark queues and boarding areas are the worst for me so based on videos and pictures it looks like Journey to the Center of the Earth, Indiana Jones and Haunted Mansion are out. I have no idea if 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea has a dark queue area as well?

If need help to get familiar with the various ride vehicles, I would recommend a visit to the guest services desk at each park. They have a braille map and get this: perfect wooden reproductions of every ride vehicle in the park. You will be able to hold them, feel them so you know what to do when getting on a ride.

I've done many solo trips around the world before and you will have a great time!

If need help to get familiar with the various ride vehicles, I would recommend a visit to the guest services desk at each park. They have a braille map and get this: perfect wooden reproductions of every ride vehicle in the park. You will be able to hold them, feel them so you know what to do when getting on a ride.

I've done many solo trips around the world before and you will have a great time!

Thank you for this info! Fortunately, I'm not quite there yet with having to rely on braille but this is so cool that they offer this. I think Disney has always been great with people with disabilities.

Actually, the queue area is not that dark. There are overhead lights & I can't recall ever thinking that it was hard to see. However, I am only judging from the perspective of someone who doesn't have vision issues. It is absolutely brighter in there than it is in the queue for something like Space Mountain or Haunted Mansion.

Actually, the queue area is not that dark. There are overhead lights & I can't recall ever thinking that it was hard to see. However, I am only judging from the perspective of someone who doesn't have vision issues. It is absolutely brighter in there than it is in the queue for something like Space Mountain or Haunted Mansion.

I watched a few videos of vloggers going through the lines at the rides and I was thinking that it didn't look bad at all! Indy, Journey and 20,000 all look doable and it will be nice that Indy has a single rider line. The queue of Indy at DLR is a nightmare, dark and windy. Space Mountain may also be doable if its anything like the one at Disneyland. HM unfortunately is a no. Way too dark. Overall though, there is so many more rides and attractions to see and do than not so I'm fine with it.
I appreciate your continued advice!

I'm going solo to TDR during Easter too! I'm having a week in Tokyo first and then hopping over to the parks for four days. It was some of my favourite vloggers that inspired me to go too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!