Some small, private colleges struggling to survive

For small, private colleges, fewer students means more worries
Laura Krantz

BROOKLINE — Joseph Chillo has a luxurious office in a beautiful building with a view of a leafy neighborhood in this wealthy town. But while his perch may look idyllic, his job is not.

As the leader of Newbury College, a small, struggling, liberal arts college where enrollment has declined 86 percent over the past 20 years, he has a lot of sleepless nights.

Chillo worries about a lot of things: Will next fall’s crop of students materialize, will there be enough financial aid, which majors should be cut, how much will the school get for a building it is selling, and will that be enough to close a 10 percent budget deficit.

They are all facets of the same nagging question: How can schools like Newbury survive?

“This stuff keeps you up all hours,” Chillo said in an interview in his office recently. “It’s a 24-hour-a-day, seven-days-a-week job. . . . You are constantly worrying about the institution.”

Chillo is among a growing number of presidents of imperiled small colleges fighting every way they know how to stay open. A Globe review of undergraduate enrollment trends across New England over the past 20 years shows that 20 percent of the 118 four-year, private colleges in the region have seen their enrollment drop by at least 10 percent.

Newbury College saw the biggest drop, except for two schools that merged with others so they now have no students at all. Franklin Pierce University in New Hampshire lost 40 percent of its enrollment over the 20 years but still has 1,800 students. Other colleges survive on microscopic enrollments, like Boston Baptist College, which saw a lesser decline but has only 77 students, according to data from the US Department of Education data analyzed by the Globe.

The main reason these schools struggle is demographic. The number of high school graduates has been shrinking — and will continue to. Experts predict a major drop in the number of high school graduates overall after the year 2025 — especially in New England — because people have had fewer children since the 2008 economic recession.

The other thing these schools have in common: They are small and have relatively high tuitions, an increasingly hard sell as middle-class families struggle financially and think twice about debt.

“The demand for higher education is not rising like it was,” said Richard Vedder, a retired economics professor at Ohio University who studies trends in higher education.

Vedder predicts that 500 US colleges will close in the next decade. This will cause a rift in the industry, with titans such as Harvard untouched and much of the rest of the private college landscape decimated, he said. More families are looking toward large, public schools because they are more affordable.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Decades ago, when four-year degrees were less common, such a credential made a big difference in job and salary potential, so schools could charge more, Vedder said. But these days, data show the value of a degree from a relatively unknown college is much less.

“The benefits are sort of stagnant,” he said. “The costs are continuing to rise, and this is squeezing the schools that are less well endowed.”

Newbury has a $2 million endowment, tiny even for a school its size. Regis College, which just signed an academic partnership with Newbury, has a $34 million endowment. On the other end of the spectrum, Smith College has an endowment of $1.6 billion; Boston University, $1.96 billion; and Harvard, $38 billion. Tuition plus room and board at Newbury is around $47,000.

As they fight to survive, many struggling schools have employed several commontactics to try to resurrect their enrollments. They deploy social media marketing, expand financial aid if they can, and offer more practical majors that students believe will get them jobs.

Colleges have begun using aggressive recruiting techniques to lure students away from other schools. Some admissions officers visit the homes of admitted students with gifts and certificates, said Lawrence Jensen, president of the College of St. Joseph in Rutland, Vt. (His school does not do that, he said, but competitors do.)

“It’s a much more concentrated, organized, deliberate attempt to stay in touch with the students,” Jensen said.

Springfield College saw a 26 percent drop in enrollment over the past two decades, from 2,844 to 2,114, but recently managed to stabilize its numbers and even saw an increase this year, to 2,228 according to Stuart Jones, the school’s vice president for enrollment management. Among other tactics, the school used targeted digital marketing to recruit a subset of students it believed was likely to attend, he said.

“The higher education industry is as competitive as any other industry in the country. It has become that way because revenue is paramount,” he said.

For most students, accepting a college’s offer boils down to how much financial aid a school offers them.

At the College of St. Joseph, enrollment dropped 32 percent over 20 years, from 336 students to 230, according to federal data. To help counter this trend, the school lowered tuition for students entering this fall, from $23,000 to $17,500. It will also give students a laptop and help pay for books.

Instead of lowering the sticker price, however, many schools deeply discount their tuition on a student-by-student basis. For example, tuition at Newbury is $33,000 per year, plus about $15,000 for room and board. The average discount at Newbury is 52 percent, Chillo said, meaning the college collects only about half the revenue that it could per student.

As a result, small schools nationwide saw lower growth in net tuition revenue than larger colleges in 2016, and that pattern is likely to continue, said Dennis M. Gephardt, a vice president-senior credit officer at Moody’s rating agency who specializes in higher education.

Gephardt said there will likely be more college closures and mergers to come, but not all at once or even quickly. There are ways for these schools to survive, or even thrive, with lower enrollment, he said, but it will be more difficult. For small schools with small endowments, the difference of a few students can be significant.

“There’s just more sensitivity to changes,” Gephardt said.

Meanwhile, schools like Newbury have changed the types of majors they offer. Newbury got rid of several associate’s degrees, like one in “arts in general studies,” because officials realized those didn’t help students get jobs. It abandoned an attempt at online degrees because its sole offering had only about 10 participants.

Instead the school is focused on majors like business, hospitality, and criminal justice, that are practical and offer students more earning potential. The school also recently started a partnership with Regis College where students can start a master’s degree during their senior year of undergraduate school.

Despite their challenges, these schools do have selling points. Students like the small class sizes, personal attention, and often historic campuses in serene locations.

“You’ll be a face that they remember,” said Dora Lima, a senior from New Bedford who is studying international business management at Newbury.

Lima, 21, who speaks five languages and is the first in her family to attend college, said she hopes to work in product management at a travel agency. She said she will have about $40,000 in loans when she graduates. That is worth it, she said, because of the school’s tight-knit community. Students even return after graduation to use campus resources and stay in touch with friends and mentors.

Craig Cristani, a freshman from Plymouth, also said it was the small classes that convinced him to enroll, and that the college isn’t too far from home. He returns home some weekends to work for a landscaping business he runs with his brother. With scholarships, he said, he pays about $7,000 per year and expects to have few loans on graduation.

But the benefits of this tight-knit community are also stressors for Chillo, the president. Because he knows everyone, he worries about the faculty member who had a bad day, the employee who was laid off, or the student who dropped out to care for his mother and siblings.

The thing that saves Chillo every year is commencement. Newbury started as a downtown college that served many working adults. Although it long ago moved to a residential campus and now serves traditional undergraduates, the majority are low-income, minority, and first-generation students. Chillo himself was the first in his family to attend college.

Every May, Chillo looks past the rows of graduates to where moms and dads and grandparents sit. For him, that is the compelling story. Those parents are watching the first person in their family graduate from college.

“You start seeing the transition and the changes for that family, and it starts with that one person,” Chillo said. “And if you can do that and repeat that over and over again, you’re doing something really good. So I try to think about that when I try to sleep at night, but I don’t know, some days it doesn’t work.”

Fewer students certainly will put smaller colleges in jeopardy. Especially those without large endowments or some sort of huge academic draw. I have lost track of how many Elementary schools have closed here to to lack of students. At least 5. At least 1 Junior High school has closed and 2 high schools. It had to hit colleges sometime.
I also think tuition has exceeded the value of the education at many Colleges. We profiled a woman here who took on student debt, went back to school, and became qualified to be a Social Worker. It was only after all that that she realized she took on all this debt and did all this work to get a job that pays $30 an hour, when she had been making $60 an hour with tips as a bartender.

I can't say that I'm surprised. Some of the schools we looked at were in the $50-60K range and offer almost no institutional aid. Why would anyone choose that, absent a "brand" name that will open doors later or a very niche program that isn't readily available elsewhere? If a kid has the scores to get into a competitive school, he's either going to be better off at a bigger, well-endowed private university (if he has financial need) or at a mid-tier school that offers merit money to attract top scholars. And if he doesn't have those scores, he's going to be better off at a more affordable state school or taking a two+two or vocational path.

One of the schools I'm considering for my masters recently closed their undergrad program because of a lack of enrollment and dwindling financial circumstances, and I think that's a trend that is bound to continue... Between fewer kids (less than half my high school friends have had kids at all, and we're pushing 40) and more working/middle class families steering their kids toward lower cost/lower debt educational choices, it isn't surprising at all that small, expensive private colleges are running into trouble. Smaller K-12 schools, public and private, have been struggling and closing because of declining enrollment for years.

Heck, we had to make more room for those entering our Kindergarten classes in the last couple of years. But now having teens, one in college and one to be in college next year, money is a big driver in where our kids go. Older one is finishing up in our local community college, to get his first 2 years at a lower cost, and then will go to one of our state colleges to finish his 4 year degree. Younger one wants to go to one of our bigger state colleges for all 4 years, but we are trying to talk into also doing first 2 years at the community college to save money. Compared when I went to college 30 years ago, the price for a family to pay now is shocking. We did look at a smaller school in our state, but the price is almost double that of the state colleges we have. I can see why some of the small colleges have either priced themselves out of the market these last 10 or so years, or are not attractive enough for those who have the money, to go to a more "named" school.

At the end of the day, most colleges are for profit. Because of that, I can see the small ones either getting eaten by larger or just fading away.

Heck, my younger one gets at least 3 or 4 college ads in our mail almost every day. Some I have heard of, some I have not, and none of the 3 most interested in.

Thanks for the story of that local college.

My dd is at a small school with declining enrollment AND it is cheap to boot! She is scared that they will phase out her degree! She would be grandfathered however it ruins the classes.

Basically here in MO, enrollment is down overall. People cannot afford it anymore. MIZZOU is so expensive.

What degrees are consistent are the BIG DEGREES, like nursing, engineering, computer science, teachers.

My daughter's college is closing a couple of the older dorms due to low enrollment. It is a problem. They need to recruit more students from overseas to fill the gap. The University of Washington is making up for reduced state funding by recruiting foreign students who are willing to pay full price.

BROOKLINE — Joseph Chillo has a luxurious office in a beautiful building with a view of a leafy neighborhood in this wealthy town. But while his perch may look idyllic, his job is not.

The other thing these schools have in common: They are small and have relatively high tuitions, an increasingly hard sell as middle-class families struggle financially and think twice about debt.

I think the two quotes above from the article sum it up in a nutshell. "a luxurious office in a beautiful building with a view of a leafy neighborhood in this wealthy town" which costs a lot. The only other point I would mention is that is a Liberal Arts College. What we have increasingly done is tell kids that to succeed you have to have a college education, but what no one says is you need a college education that will result in you having the skills you need to get a good paying job. So many graduates are coming out with Liberal Arts degrees and very little employment opportunities. I am reminded of the article I read ten years ago about a young woman who had graduated from NYU with a dual major in Women's Studies and Religious Studies owing $110,000 for her degree. She lived in San Francisco and worked as a photographer's assistant and would be repaying her college loans for the rest of her life.

Colleges have added what are referred to as "fluff" degrees that by their own admission are for profit programs. In other words they collect more in tuition than it costs to teach the courses. The prey on parents and students fears that without that eve important degree they will never have good jobs and fulfilling lives and are willing to go in debt up to their necks to get it.

Trades schools and technical schools are seen as demeaning and not real degrees but often can mean gainful employment at good wages. Not to say that many of these also prey on students and parents by helping them get student financing and profiting from their tuitions.

I am not saying it is not sad to see colleges close but at the same time from an economist's standpoint it makes sense as they are selling a product (a degree) that is worth far less (resulting job) than the cost (tuition)

I guess I am lucky because I learned of that economic situation from a State University in the seventies where 4 1/2 years of tuition cost me about $2,700.

I have 3 kids. 1 graduated from a state school, 1 graduated last year from a small private school and one will graduate in 4 weeks from a small private school. Guess which one has the most debt, the one that graduated from the state school. The state school he graduated from is the cheapest school in the state.

The aid packages the 2 that went to private school was much better than the state school could offer. The school my son graduated from last year isn't in great shape, they dropped a few majors in the last few years, but the school my daughter will graduate from is growing. They have a huge masters program that I think most of my family has graduated from.

I have to agree that college is a huge expense. I am surprised at the number of kids my kids went to school with that didn't go to college. I assume money is a huge factor because we live in a very poor town.

Fewer students certainly will put smaller colleges in jeopardy. Especially those without large endowments or some sort of huge academic draw. I have lost track of how many Elementary schools have closed here to to lack of students. At least 5. At least 1 Junior High school has closed and 2 high schools. It had to hit colleges sometime.
I also think tuition has exceeded the value of the education at many Colleges. We profiled a woman here who took on student debt, went back to school, and became qualified to be a Social Worker. It was only after all that that she realized she took on all this debt and did all this work to get a job that pays $30 an hour, when she had been making $60 an hour with tips as a bartender.
I wonder if people from your area are moving here. I live in the county south of Nashville, TN and we can’t build elementary schools fast enough.

We live on one income and believe me it is not a fortune. And I can't get any help when I wanted to attend. It has gotten worse. If you haven't paid cash for it the payments are outrageous. And I don't know if the income you'r paid anymore can cover the payments, and all your regular living expense's either.

Admittedly, due to my background, I am more familiar w/ private, religious colleges & universities than I am w/ private, secular colleges & universities. But, just within the last 5 years or so, I know of 2 private, religious universities that have had to close, & one of those used to a be a premiere university for those in the religious circles.

However, we did a college visit w/ our DD in the fall at a private, secular liberal arts college, &, during the visit, we learned that this particular college was adding a science major.

I think, also, there is a backlash that's growing steadily larger against the high price of a college education & how everyone "needs" a college education to get a job. People like Mike Rowe are making a case for employable trade skills.

However, all that said, our DD scored well on her ACT & is eligible for an academic scholarship at a private college which makes the private college education comparable to the state college education cost.

One problem I think with college struggling is that at one time, a college degree assured a good job. Now, that is not necessarily the case. In our area, men and women who went straight to work after high school were earning very good money - more than those who had college degrees. Our daughter's friend, for instance, studied welding in high school and was licensed when he finished high school. This boy started his profession the day after he graduated. That was 4 years ago. He began earning $200,000 in his 3rd year of work. That is an excellent salary in this region. He owns a house, a truck, and just bought his fiancee a car and paid cash for all of them. Kids in high school know that they can earn more money with a trade than they can with a degree so why go to college? Not sure if this is the case throughout the rest of the country. Here, plumbers and electricians earn as much or more than attorneys and most doctors. Why go into debt and delay earning potential for years when they can stash $$$$$$$ in savings in the same time it takes for professionals to get their degrees?

For those wanting to read the article, press the "X" or close button in the upper left corner- no subscription is necessary.

You have to have an account to read the article.

I clicked where it says "Not Now" and I saw the entire article.

When I was in college, the women's college Mills College in Oakland was facing financial difficulties and was thinking of admitting men as undergraduates. They did admit men to the graduate programs and their trustees decided to make it co-ed but then withdrew after protests. I think after WWII they also were required to admit men under the GI Bill.

One problem I think with college struggling is that at one time, a college degree assured a good job. Now, that is not necessarily the case. In our area, men and women who went straight to work after high school were earning very good money - more than those who had college degrees. Our daughter's friend, for instance, studied welding in high school and was licensed when he finished high school. This boy started his profession the day after he graduated. That was 4 years ago. He began earning $200,000 in his 3rd year of work. That is an excellent salary in this region. He owns a house, a truck, and just bought his fiancee a car and paid cash for all of them. Kids in high school know that they can earn more money with a trade than they can with a degree so why go to college? Not sure if this is the case throughout the rest of the country. Here, plumbers and electricians earn as much or more than attorneys and most doctors. Why go into debt and delay earning potential for years when they can stash $$$$$$$ in savings in the same time it takes for professionals to get their degrees?

While that is true, there are some potential downsides to that path. I know a lot of welders in their 50s and 60s who just can't take the hot shops and physical work any more, and the benefits in the trades can be iffy. DH went into a trade; his sister got a degree, then a masters. He's always made more than her in actual take-home dollars, but we spent years scrambling to figure out affordable insurance coverage or just going without and he's never had so much as a 401k match, much less a pension like his sister has. And that's pretty typical for tradesmen around here. It can be really good money, but usually comes with less security, fewer benefits (unless you can get into a union position) and more physically taxing work conditions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter