Some thoughts

SheDaisy0088

Mouseketeer
I have needed the use of a ECV for the last 2 years whenever we go to Disney or Universal. I can't walk long distances. My right ankle is very sensitive to any amount of time spent standing. The bone in my foot is sliding forward and causing pressure on the ankle. Not very comfortable to say the least. Some days it is fine. Other times I can barely walk from the living room to the kitchen!! I am determined not to let this stop me from living though!!! It is usually easier to walk when I rest and put ice on my foot.

I have actually had quite a few rude comments from people at Disney! Not the CM's but other guests. I am overweight so most people seem to think I am lazy. That is most definitely not the case. Love to be on the go when my ankle agrees with me. Never really eat alot but still I can't seem to loose weight. Most can't see that my foot is swollen to almost 3 times the size it should be. I have actually tried to go without using a ECV only to pay for it at night.

My son is a true angel. He sees what I go through and is so good with others. The last time we were at Disney he held the door open for about 4 other people. Then someone made the comment that why is he doing that? I told them that he is being polite. My husband and I have tried to teach him manners. Looks like that is working.

It has always made me mad when others act like those in ECV's and wheelchairs are doing something wrong. Even when I was able to walk without one.

Sorry for going on and on. Just needed to get it off my chest!!

princess: princess: ::MinnieMo

I'm sorry that other guests have judged you.:(
I know how it feels because I have heard some of the comments myself directed toward my youngest DD. Some people feel that they have the right (and magic eyes that can diagnose disabilities, too) to comment on anyone that they think does not look "disabled enough" to be using a wheelchair or ecv. We have heard "she doesn't need that wheelchair. She must be cheating" directed toward DD as she sat on a bench next to her wheelchair, with her legs crossed, swinging her top leg. What they didn't see was that we lifted DD out of her wheelchair to sit on the bench and then helped her cross her legs since she can't do that herself. But, she can swing it once it's crossed. So, with one little 30 second snip of information, people feel they can judge someone else's medical problems, disabilities and needs.
You are only person who really knows why you are using a mobility aid and (even though some people might feel they have the "right" to comment), you and your family are the only ones with a right to an opinion about it.

The saddest thing is that some people who really would benefit from using an ecv or wheelchair are afraid of anyone commenting, so they suffer rather than use one. The people who make the comments (at least IMHO) are not just rude, they are evil because their thoughtless comments are hurting someone else.

Just had to say hello, as I too have the "invisible" issue of extra bones in my feet. Mine are in the inside arch area of both feet and depending on where they decide to float to can be OK or a major problem. Walking for more than about an hour and a half with some breaks is the absolute most I can do, so WDW poses a problem on my own steam.

Here is my motto, for what it's worth. You ruining your trip (to WDW, the grocery store, or anywhere else you go where you use something to help you get around) is not going to enlighten clueless people. All it will do is ruin your trip.

So you go ahead and do whatever you need to do. Unfortunately, people who are rude and judgmental won't change readily, so all you can do is know that they are the ones who should change, not you. (Although I suppose it is hypocritical of me to say that judgmental people are wrong and then be judgmental myself, you know what I mean!).

Wishing you some good foot days!!! I am going to try an Eastern Medicine massage person for my tendonitis (one of the joys caused by rubbing from the bones). My orthopedic podiatrist said it can't hurt...

:wave: Cupcake

I recently had to use a w/c, serious back injury can can only walk 15 minutes then SPASM/PAIN, you get the idea I look pefectly normal, except being Fluffy (nice term for size 26), this last trip, 9/28/03, I had to use w/c in Disney for the first time People were actually very nice, at one point the swelling in my left lower leg was so bad I haaad to be pushed around with my leg raised, you could imagine the traveling waas difficult :eek: I did not use an ECV, cost and too heavy to pick in and out of car, but I was waiting for negative comments, and was shocked when I recieved none. ::yes:: It was funny, but other people in w/c and I hung out together, I also can't go on rides, get very very sick:( I met lots of great people, many in a similar circumstance Not very handicapped, but handicapped enough. Some times I was able to limp into some of the events, it was a bad ides, the crwod would generally run me down. My advice, go , have a great time and know the loud mouthed idiots will get theris eventually:bounce: :bounce: My trip 9/03, was much better than 1/03 when I did not use the w/c and cried in the bathrooms as I could not go anywhere with my family, could not walk at all.:wave:

First of all, consider that it is YOUR vacation (including friends and/or family). They know what your problems are. What anyone else thinks does not matter. What you (all) want is to have an enjoyable vacation.

I have run into clods from time to time; I will smile and sweetly offer to allow them the use of my ECV if they take the related (unspecified) disabilities. I have never had anyone take me up on the offer, and usually they will attempt to fade away VERY quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter