Someone told me grapes are fattening, are they?

Boots

<font color=green>Smiling at you!!!</font><br><fon
I have been trying to loose some weight and eat healthy. So when I have been buying groceries I was picking up some seedless grapes. I like grapes and thought that they were good for you. Well a lady I work with told me that grapes were extremely fattening and not to even eat five a day. Please tell me this isn't so!!!:(

I just love getting unsolicited advice.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm following the Ornish program, and fruits and veggies are encouraged in whatever quantity you like. The exception is avacados.

Go ahead and eat your grapes.

If you had the choice between the grapes and a piece of cake, the grapes would probably be better. As long as you don't overdo it, thinking you can eat a whole bunch and not gain weight. Eat a small bowl of grapes and enjoy.

The first diet I was on (which worked BTW) did prohibit grapes, cherries, watermelon, etc. All the fruits that had a high sugar and calorie content per ounce. The diet allowed apples, oranges, 1/2 grapefruit, 1/2 banana ... things like that instead. It was really tough since I love cherries and grapes. Maybe that person you work with had been on a similar plan.

Can you believe someone really thinking grapes have fat??

Nearly anything in reasonable proportions can be included in a healthy diet.

Weight Watchers assigns 1 cup of grapes = 1 point. I know you're not doing WW -- My WW target is 25 points/day.

So 1 measuring cup of grapes would be 1/25 (4%) of my day's allotted food intake. Hardly a significant amount!!!! :rolleyes:

On the other hand -if you are following one of the lo-carb plans grapes have quite a high sugar content and are high on the glycemic index-which may have been where the woman you work with got the idea that they are fattening.
All thinks in moderation-if you don't eat a pound of them at a time, and you are not on Atkins or something similar, they should be fine

Thanks everyone. I am not on eating diet plan. Just trying to eat right and cut down on high calorie items. I usually eat just a few at night on a little stem thing. Maybe 10 or 12 a day.

I've been eating grapes almost everyday since I've started my diet. I started about a month ago and I've lost 19 pounds so they can't be that fattening! ;)

For my diet, 1 serving of fruit = 10 grapes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter