Something special for a 9 y.o. Harry Potter fan

hedg12

Mouseketeer
We're taking our 2 & 9 year old great-nieces to UO & IOA for one day next February. The 9 yo is a huge Harry Potter fan. I'm pretty well versed on Disney World, but I'm not quite as up on the Universal parks. I'm looking for ideas to make this part of the trip special - something to do or see Harry Potter related that's age appropriate. Are there any "secret" or little known things that aren't well advertised, or special treats that have to be asked for, or anything like that? I do know about the unmarked interactive windows - I plan to get her a wand & show her those. Anybody have any ideas?

Were are Disney people too that crossed into the Universal zone mainly due to Harry Potter! My 9 yr old also loves it. The place where you buy the wands has this "show" if you will regarding picking the wands. We had no clue why SO many people were lined up outside the wand shop the first few times we went. Then later one evening we finally broke down and told her she could get a wand and went to this roped area (no one was in line) and thought we were just going into the shop and it is an actual experience! My kids STILL talk about how cool it is. I know you said you are only going one day but will tell you when we went that evening there was NO one in line. During the day it's quite a wait. I think the park closed at 9 and we went in about 8:30pm.

They really have done a great job recreating the whole HP world so I am sure she will be happy just experiencing it all!

Get there as early as you can and head to diagon alley. Universal studios side.

edit: now that I think about it, I would find out which side has early entry and do the other park first. Still getting there as early as possible even before the park opens. Hogsmead is a lot smaller area, but coming around that corner and seeing the castle on the hill is a thrill even for me, and I am not HP crazy.

If she has trouble doing the spells, there is usually a crew member close by to help.

Check out the ice cream place and stop in the candy store.

For something extra "special", have her get her friends addresses before you go and let her send her friends back home a postcard thru the owl post. You can buy everything you need there or you can bring your own. (You can stop at one of the cheapo shops outside the parks and you can pick up really cheap HP postcards. I don't know what they are in the parks these days, but my guess would be expensive)

Wow, thanks everyone. Looks like I need to do some studying up on US/IOA - lots of details to take in, from the looks of things!

Wow, thanks everyone. Looks like I need to do some studying up on US/IOA - lots of details to take in, from the looks of things!
Honestly, I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it. With one day and doing both HP areas including the ride between the two on Hogwarts Express I have no doubt your niece will be thrilled with simply walking through the two areas and shops, eating at one or both restaurants and riding the rides. That alone is a full day and one she will never forget if she is a big HP fan.

I don't think you need to do a lot of studying up either. With only one day, you may only really be able to do the potterland areas.

When you go thru the wall at diagon alley, that place is real jaw dropper awesome.

If you have extra time, do the kiddie type rides. They are great in my opinion.

Perhaps buy her (or have a parent buy her) a Hogwarts robe now while cheap ones can be found at big box stores for Halloween. Many people, adults and children, wear wizarding clothing to Universal. It really does make it more fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!