Sometimes Life is Weird, and That is Why I Love Disney - Pretrip Report(s); Updated for Star Wars

adventuregirl

Earning My Ears
Greetings!

I come with tales of fantasy and obsession, the promise of new beginnings, a journey to the past and, of course, adventure.

The title of this post is a direct quote from me to DH just last week. 2018 has been quite a year; the character growing kind. The kind where Life says “Hey, look over here,” so I look and when I turn back to say, “I didn’t see anything,” *WHAMO*; sucker punch to the face. “Oh,” I replied to life, “I did not see that coming”. But then life was all, “Wait, there’s more…”

tenor.gif

Now, being a long standing human, I have developed keen coping skills the likes of which many on this board may be familiar with - imagining myself in one of the Happiest Places on Earth, maybe with a drink in hand. Ok, probably with a drink in hand. My fellow obsessors will understand the joy and hope that goes into planning a Disney holiday with great detail. There are moments I can actually smell Main Street as I imagine walking into Magic Kingdom and having my children and nieces see Cinderella Castle for the first time.

giphy.webp

Because planning puts me Happy Place adjacent and provides a lovely and relatively healthy outlet, I have been doing heaps of it. So much in fact that I found myself with 3 Disney flavoured holidays planned over the next twelve months (maybe 4?).

Before I continue, please forgive my novice attempts. This will be a learning experience and I appreciate you all for joining in.

Introductions
The cast changes with each trip.

Me, 48, Adventure Girl.
I live in New Zealand, though originally from Hawaii. My Mom is from California, so all my Disney adventures were at Disneyland until 2016, when my Mom and I went to Disney World for the first time. In July. Here is a picture of us sweating profusely.

upload_2018-10-11_9-29-46.png

And my family:

upload_2018-10-11_9-30-15.png

DH. My person. Not a huge Disney fan, but otherwise nearly perfect. He is in nursing school with 16 more months to go which limits his travel.

DD, 18. Loves Disney because I raised her right. Has just moved out, but lives around the corner so still is eating our food. First Disneyland trip when she was 18 months; apparently not a fan of dark rides at that time (#parentfail). First movie in a theatre was Lilo and Stitch. Has been to DisneySea, but not Disney World.

DS, 14. Loves all things fantastic which includes Disney. Is somewhat worried about missing school. First trip to Disneyland/California Adventure at age 5. Rode Tower of Terror and asked for more but my knocking knees couldn’t take it.

Mom aka Tutu. Actually went to Disneyland in the 1950’s. Her parents were huge fans. Papa would take us on all the E-ticket rides while Nana watched. Tutu is also a huge water park fan and is insisting we go to Volcano Bay. She rides all the E-ticket rides. She is 79.

upload_2018-10-11_9-31-47.png

My nieces, current ages 13 and 6. They have been to Disney World a few years ago when the little one was just a few months old. They lost their mom this year which has inspired us to visit the US more often. 13 y/o is a huge Harry Potter fan so a side trip to Hogwarts is in order.

upload_2018-10-11_9-33-42.png

Next up...trips!

Trips

Aulani December 15-23 (Hawaii December 15-28); DH, DS and myself

Disney World with a jaunt to the dark side September 3-12, 2019; Tutu, DD, DS, Nieces and myself, guest appearances by my cousin and her daughter. Gonna need some help with this one.

Disneyland October 10-14, 2019; just me so far! Can’t be in the US and NOT visit Star Wars Land!!

Possible Bonus 1 day Disneyland trip. Heading to my brother's wedding in May, 2019 in Las Vegas. Surely a stopover in LA is in order. I mean, if I'm going to go all that way...

The Aulani Trip is coming up soon! I cannot wait. My parents left Hawaii in the late 90’s and we left in 2005 when DS was 16 months old. We have been back once since then and are excited to show our son around. DD cannot make it due to a new job, which makes it the first Christmas without her. I’m trying not to think about that too much.

We will be renting a car so we can visit friends and go surfing. I am also attending a conference while there. Planning to post updates with each trip.

As for the other trips, details soon. I will be on sabbatical for work from 1 September, 2019 to the end of the year and am doing the first 2 months in the US which means general proximity to Disney!

Oh wow! You have SO many exciting moments ahead of you!

I've always wanted to go to New Zealand: I've had friends go and their pictures are incredible. We will get there one day--but not before you get back to the U.S. for your trips. :)

I can't wait to hear more about your upcoming trips. I love that your family has a tradition of Disney visits. My parents and grandparents used to pack up my grandparents' camper and head down in the early 70s for vacations right after WDW opened!

I've always wanted to go to New Zealand: I've had friends go and their pictures are incredible. We will get there one day--but not before you get back to the U.S. for your trips. :)

I can't wait to hear more about your upcoming trips. I love that your family has a tradition of Disney visits. My parents and grandparents used to pack up my grandparents' camper and head down in the early 70s for vacations right after WDW opened!

Thanks! We are incredibly happy and grateful to be living here. The downside is the distance to family.

An Update - MORE DISNEY!

In true fan(atic) fashion, my possible one day side trip to Disneyland became a 3 day park-hopper.:rolleyes1

Reasoning: My brother's wedding is in June, which is Summer, which means Galaxy's Edge *might* be open in Disneyland which means I would need at least 2 days. However, a 3 day ticket comes with one Magic Morning so...I booked my flight and a good neighbour hotel today. I will be at Disneyland 3-6 June, leaving early 6 June for Las Vegas.

giphy.gif

While I am fully aware Star Wars land may not be open, it will still be an amazing time to be in the parks. And I have to take the chance, right?

As to the other trips, they are coming along. I have no specific plans around Aulani. It is unlikely we will do much on site other than the pool as there is so much to explore outside of the hotel. I do plan on having drinks with some friends one evening at Olelo and will make sure to take photos (I'm actually pretty bad at that).

Happy Weekend!

Last edited:
TRIP UPDATES - The Plan Continues...

So much has happened in planning in the last couple weeks. I have been hibernating in a Disney space, furiously tapping my keyboard as I plot the adventures of the next twelve months. Spreadsheets have been created. Deposits placed. Airline tickets purchased. Outfits may have been planned.

The big news is we are going to Dragon Con in Atlanta en route to Disney World!! (we like to spread the geek over several mediums).

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 6.19.21 PM.png

It was running the weekend before we were arriving at Disney World, so I booked our hotel and started thinking of costumes we could wear both there and MNSSHP. Preferably ones that don't promote profuse sweating, but still provide respectable coverage. Challenge on! I'm open to ideas...:idea:

Other updates:
1. Booked Candy Cane Inn for my June Disneyland Trip and informed my cousin there was free room and board down South (she lives in Northern Cali). As she has an annual pass, she was keen to join which means I have a Disneyland Buddy for that trip! We are going to try to book the Blue Bayou for the Fantasmic package. I always struggle to find a good spot for that show so I'm determined to see it without the added heads-and-shoulders view.

2. Booked my split stay in Disney World for September 2019 - 3 nights GF (for 4 of us), 4 nights CCV 2 bedroom renting DVC points (for 8 of us as four are joining mid-trip).

Next plans:

Booking for Disneyland October 2019!

Well it has been more than a hot minute since an update. I have completed both the traveling AND the trip report for Aulani (link below).

Disneyland plans have changed about ten times since my last update. Bad news is my one cousin isn't joining me for either Disneyland or WDW. Good news is my Aunt (veteran Disney Queen), my Mom and two other cousins are joining in for the Disneyland trip! I have decided on Blue Bayou Dinner for Fantasmic viewing. OMG can't wait. I love eating in Blue Bayou and Fantasmic at Disneyland is a treat!

In other news, I signed up for a marathon in November which puts me smack in the middle of training during my Dragon Con and WDW weeks. If anyone has tips on doing long runs at WDW in sweltering heat while on a hyper-scheduled trip please let me know!

giphy.webp

So...trips scheduled, airline tickets purchased, schedules coordinated, accomodation booked.

Disneyland 3-6 June, 2019

Walt Disney World and Universal 3-12 September, 2019

Then....

Disney announces opening dates for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
Disneyland 31 May 2019 and Walt Disney World 31 August 2019

giphy.gif

I had planned early September for a number of reasons, one of which this would be a "low crowd" time. We are a pack of introverts who are uncomfortable in crowds and thought this would be a good time for WDW. That being said, we also love SciFi with Star Wars playing a starring role in our fandom. Except for my 6 year old niece; she is an outlier (there is always one...). I am not sure how we will manage this, toying with skipping the Smuggler's Run ride, but touring through the land or will we be pulled into the hype? Stay tuned!

I am also not sure how much more to put into this pre-trip report. I realised we don't do a lot of things that are prevalent in pre-trip reports, so I'm not sure what value I'm adding. I did put in my tentative running training plan (which you may note deteriorates quite quickly through the trip) because there may be a few folks out there who are trying to train for an event, but still maintain their sanity. Will this plan work? Again, stay tuned...

Disneyland plans are coming along, but they are not nearly as complex as the WDW events, so I will report back how we managed with California Adventure Grad Nights and Galaxy's Edge opening, as well as traveling with my 79 year old Mom, 81 year old Aunt and a couple of non-Disney fanatic cousins.

I am also attending a conference 6-8 September with morning lectures so that alters the plans a bit as well.

WDW Plans:

Pre-Disney: Me, DS, DD

Depart New Zealand 28 August, change planes 3 times, fly over 24 hours and land in Atlanta ...28 August!

giphy.gif

Arrive in a puddle of fatigue covered with airplane haze and stay overnight at Drury Airport Hotel (the longing to sleep horizontally will be real).

Drury Airport Hotel 28 August

Dragon Con 29 August to 2 September at Embassy Suites Hyatt Downtown Atlanta

2 September; stay overnight at Hyatt Airport hotel to 3 September then...

tenor.gif

Day 1 Arrival

Tuesday, 3 September, 2019

People: Tutu (my Mom), Me, DD, DS

Hotel: Grand Floridian

Training: Run treadmill before Disney Springs

Itinerary:

1. Depart Atlanta 6:30am
  2. Arrive to MCO 8:00 am on Spirit, Orlando Florida
  3. Magical Express to Grand Floridian; check in; store bags; get magic bands
  4. Disney Springs for lunch, shopping, manicures and pedicures at Nailinis
  5. Evening at the Pool/Rest
  6. Grocery delivery at 5pm
  7. Dinner at 18:50 Contemporary Hotel via monorail

Dining: California Grill 18:50 reservation; Sunset 19:45, HEA 21:15pm

Day 2 Magic Kingdom

Wednesday, 4 September 2019

Training: No planned run

Itinerary:

1. Depart GF at 7:55 via monorail to Magic Kingdom
  2. Rope drop Magic Kingdom
  3. See Touring Plan
  4. Lunch Be Our Guest Restaurant at 13:50
  5. Break
  6. Return to Park 7pm-11pm
  7. HEA 8:00 seats

Fast Passes:

Peter Pan’s Flight

Seven Dwarves Mine Train

Splash Mountain

Dining: Be Our Guest Lunch 13:50

Day 3 Disney Hollywood Studios

Thursday, 5 September

Training: No planned run

Itinerary:

1. Depart GF at 7:00 via Lyft/Uber
  2. Arrive DHS
  3. See Touring Plan
  4. Make it out of Galaxy’s Edge Intact

Fast Passes: TBD

Dining: Baseline Tap, Star Wars snacks

Day 4 Epcot

Friday, 6 September

**Transfer to Copper Creek

Hotel: Copper Creek DVC at Wilderness Lodge

Training: No Planned Run

Itinerary:

1. Lectures to 12:30
  2. Monorail to TTC; TTC to Epcot
  3. Arrive 13:30
  4. See Touring Plan
  5. Depart 10pm (?)

Fast Passes:

Test Track or Soarin

Dining: Food & Wine booths

Day 5 Resort Day

Saturday, 7 September

Nieces Arrive!

Hotel: Copper Creek/Wilderness

Training: Moderate Run before lectures

Itinerary:

1. Lectures to 12:30
  2. Pick up Penny and Bella at airport
  3. Pool
  4. Dinner

Dining: Storybook Dining at Artist Point (thus far unable to score a table; on alert)

Day 6 MNSSHP

Sunday, 8 September

Training: Long Run before lectures

Itinerary:

1. Lectures to 10:30
  2. Pool and Prep kids for costumes
  3. MK for MNSSHP at 4pm via boat from Wilderness Lodge
  4. Party 4-10pm

Dining: Snacks in the MK

Day 7 Animal Kingdom

Monday, 9 September

Training: Early short run

Itinerary:

1. Breakfast in room
  2. Bus to Animal Kingdom 7am
  3. See Touring Plan
  4. Animal Kingdom rope drop to 8pm
  5. Back via Minnie Van
  6. Pack up the kids

Day 8 Universal Day 1

Tuesday, 10 September

Hotel: Cabana Bay

Training: Are you kidding me?

Itinerary:

1. Breakfast in room
  2. 8:30 am Uber/Lyft to Universal
  3. Check into Cabana Bay Beach
  4. Volcano Bay 9:30 to 1pm
  5. Lunch
  6. Universal to closing (9pm) - Harry Potter

Day 9 Universal Day 2

Wednesday, 11 September

Hotel: Cabana Bay

Training: No way

Itinerary:

1. Wake up 6:30 am
  2. Breakfast in room + coffee en route
  3. Walk to Universal for Rope Drop early morning entry
  4. Touring Plan
  5. Leave at 9pm
  6. Pack

Day 10 Departure

Thursday, 12 September

Check out 7:30 am for 10:15 Flight

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-11_10-43-31.png
    upload_2019-3-11_10-43-31.png
    173.9 KB · Views: 1
Disneyland Update! Ohhhh yeeeaah! Star Wars Land reservation

giphy.gif

I have been wallowing under the weight of responsibilities and work, but escape is imminent. Disneyland plans are taking shape and I thought an update would be in order. A "First Order" (sorry...it is early here...Dad jokes)

Disneyland Plans

2 June

Arrive to Anaheim
Dinner at Downtown Disney
Check into Candy Cane
Early sleep for....

3 June

Rope drop Disneyland
Meticulous touring plan that will be partially ignored
Fast pass runner = "training" :p
Afternoon break at hotel
DCA for Wine Country Trattoria World of Colour Dinner
Back to motel after World of Colour

4 June

Rope Drop DCA
Meticulous touring plan partially ignored (need to try Guardians of the Galaxy - weird overlay tolerated)
Afternoon break at hotel
Disneyland for Blue Bayou Fantasmic Dinner
Fantasmic and Fireworks (rides as possible)
Back to Motel

5 June
Rope Drop Disneyland
More rides
Afternoon break - move hotel to Paradise Pier

Galaxy's Edge 5-9pm!!!!!

Qbco.gif

Fireworks to end the night
Back to Paradise Pier

6 June

430 am departure for Las Vegas...a whole other adventure

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter