Sometimes you just can't skirt around the truth of the matter....

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
I am a respiratory therapist. I work in a small acute-care community hospital that has an emergency dept. Protocol states that any patient that is having any conscience sedation procedure, respiratory MUST be there during it. Tonight, I get called down for an 19 year old soccer player who dislocated his elbow. I introduced myself and gave him the same explanation of my role as I do for every patient.

Me: The reason we have a respiratory therapist during the procedure is because you are going to be given medication that will make you sleepy. In case you fall asleep, and fall asleep too deeply, where you might not be taking very deep breaths, my job is to assist you with your breaths until you can do it on your own. (most people nod and say they understand, and then the Dr gives his speech, we do a time-out and on with the show)

This kid: Ok..so basically you are here to save my life.

BINGO!!! Yes kid, that is EXACTLY why I am here, But we don't like to use those words. So we use words like sleep and sleepy, and not deep breaths, instead of apnea.

I love my job, and when you have a kid like this that gets it and puts it in black and white, I am glad I chose this profession. I save lives. I don't think of it like that, I am just doing the job I was trained to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter