Sony A7iii vs a6400

BaymaxFan78

Enthusiast
I finally found my top 2 cameras now I need help picking one. I'm not going to buy, just renting for a week to use on my vacation.

Sony Alpha A7iii
Vs
Sony Alpha A6400

A7iii is full frame while a6400 is crop sensor. But the a6400 is way cheaper and a very similar camera. I'm currently leaning towards the a6400.

Which do you guys think is better? It would be mostly used outdoors for video / photography. Mostly daytime use, but good low light is a plus. The only lens I could find that was in my price range to rent was the Sony E 18-105mm F/4 G PZ OSS. I like it because it has a decent zoom for me but can be used at 18mm for normal filming.

Stabilization is important for shooting video when you're moving. That means the Sony a7iii, a6500 and the rumored a6700 would be better choices than the unstabilized a6400. However, the a6400 focus is more advanced than the a6500.

Lenses, and their cost, is also something to consider. The Sigma Contemporary are very good and inexpensive primes for APS-C. Sony's FF zoom lenses and good primes are expensive.

The 18-105mm is a great lens for APS-C. It's a G, constant F4, stabilized, internal zoom for $650. There isn't a full frame equivalent for that zoom range and price. The 18-135mm is also a good choice.

However, it's going to come down to your own preference and budget.

The cameras really aren’t that similar. They share certain Sony features. They are both 24mp.. but FF 24mp is very different than Aps-c 24mp. Beyond the sensor size, the ergonomics are totally different in addition to dramatically different battery life, ergonomics, IBIS.

Basically, the a7iii is the much better camera. But much more expensive especially after you include lenses. And the a6400 has a couple other advantages besides price— more compact and tilt-up selfie LCD, and real time tracking AF.

Differences discussed more at the end of this review:
https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/sony-a6400-review/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!