Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom

lovethattink

TPAS Moderator
Starting tomorrow this game goes live! It is fun and totally addictive. This is a copy and paste from my TR in February. We have played it since, a total of 6 times, about a half hour to an hour each time before becoming a Master Sorcerer.

Did you know that Hades has recruited villains to take over the Magic Kingdom and Merlin is recruiting wizards to defeat them? There are portals all over the MK, in places you would have never guessed. This makes Kim Possible at Epcot look like baby’s play. This ups park gaming to nearly the level that VMK was, except VMK was virtual, this is “in real”.
We noticed they were recruiting wizards at the fire station. So we snuck in there and signed up for recruitment (Sorcerer Training). Our park pass was scanned, and we were slipped a map, key card and some magic cards.

Sorcmapcards1.jpg

Sorcmap1.jpg

Sorcmap2.jpg

Grumpy was selected for the training. He has the best memory of all of us, only made sense.

Sorctraining.jpg

A few of the portals, casting spells, and having a great time

Poryal7.jpg

Portal6.jpg

Portal4.jpg

Portal3.jpg

Portal2.jpg

Frontierportal.jpg

Portal.jpg

Sorcerer’s of the Magic Kingdom put Kim Possible to shame, IMHO. It was almost as good as VMK, except that VMK was virtual with just a few real items to collect. This was “in real” and had real items to keep. Great souvenEARS!! Fun game!

The game is going to reset tonight, to start new tomorrow. I heard mixed information about keeping level and status from testing mode, though most seem to think everyone will be starting from scratch tomorrow.

There are 70 magic cards in all. We started getting doubles and started trading with other guests. Cards 61 to 70 were pulled from circulation a few days ago, and it is rumored that they will be sold in foil packs starting tomorrow.

We were told that you can use a magic card for each member of your party. So if you "train" with four people, then you can use 4 magic cards at a time. We didn't try more than 2 at a time. The cards have to be held side by side and close to each other to be read. It's fun to see the combinations used together, though occasionally it only read one card.

For more information about Sorcerer’s of the Magic Kingdom:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...01_1_magic-kingdom-portals-trading-card-games

I can't wait to try this! It reminds me of the in-park VMK quests!

that looks fantastic! Can't wait to see it for myself

I can't wait to try this! It reminds me of the in-park VMK quests!

That's what we said too! We even were disappointed a bit when we didn't see codes on the cards, lol!

that looks fantastic! Can't wait to see it for myself

Beware, it's addictive! We are on medium level now. I think there is some kind of strategy involved but we haven't figured it out yet. We did notice that animal magic cards worked really good on Kronk.

At one screen I wasn't able to defeat Dr. Facilier (the shadow man) regardless of the combination of magic cards I used. Tried twice using double cards. Someone behind me said I could use 6 cards at a time, but I'm not that coordinated to hold up that many.

Expecting to try it out on my next trip!

Hope you enjoy it!

Watch out for hard mode. Started a few days ago and still can't beat the first Guy in the first story. Have used 25 different spells plus combos of those. 3 spells per fight losing 12 times now. As much fun as I had finishing it 4 times on easy and once on medium, hard mode has sucked all fun our and I have no desire to try anymore. Otherwise it's fun in many ways.

Watch out for hard mode. Started a few days ago and still can't beat the first Guy in the first story. Have used 25 different spells plus combos of those. 3 spells per fight losing 12 times now. As much fun as I had finishing it 4 times on easy and once on medium, hard mode has sucked all fun our and I have no desire to try anymore. Otherwise it's fun in many ways.

Thanks for the heads up! We finally defeated our 2nd villian on medium. Did it automatically take you to hard, or did you have to go back for a reset of the game?

I would expect there are clues in the text or video. Remember each card has a unique symbol in the three circles around the oval. Maybe they've hidden that in the video, like a cow that would get you to play Woody (cow print symbol in the circles) Or maybe the spell makes sense either from the villain's movie or has something to do with the villain. I just don't buy that it's random.

I would expect there are clues in the text or video. Remember each card has a unique symbol in the three circles around the oval. Maybe they've hidden that in the video, like a cow that would get you to play Woody (cow print symbol in the circles) Or maybe the spell makes sense either from the villain's movie or has something to do with the villain. I just don't buy that it's random.

I never noticed those 3 symbols, but my 7 year old did! Some are the symbols scene on the map directing you to the portals.

I noticed yesterday that you can't use the same magic card on the same villian in a round. The 2nd time it's ineffective or less "power" comes out of it.

Also, Prince Phillip's card and Aurora's worked well together on Mal.

I'm sure somehow it all fits together in the strategy, but it's tough to figure out, especially when you come up to a portal that isn't working that great. Yesterday it was a portal in Fantasyland the one with the frog. Not sure how to alert someone, as they don't seem to have cm walking around to help anymore.

Looks fun. Cannot wait to try it.

It is fun!

I'm trying to understand the trading card part of this. The only place you can currently get the cards is the 5-card pack at the Firehouse, correct? Do they limit you to a pack a day or something?

I'm trying to understand the trading card part of this. The only place you can currently get the cards is the 5-card pack at the Firehouse, correct? Do they limit you to a pack a day or something?

Yes, 1 pack of cards per day. You can get them at either of the Sorcerer Training sites, firehouse or by the Princess Tiana meet and greet.

I assume it's linked to your ticket admission because they ask for admission ticket to start.

There are 70 cards. Cards 1-60 are randomly placed in the plastic sealed packets. Rumor has it that merchandise for sale will include cards numbered 61-70 that were pulled from circulation a few weeks ago.

I'd love to see shirts, key chains, hats, etc make it to merchandising too!! Hint, hint, Disney!

Hello Everyone. I'm just starting to collect these cards. I have my first trip to WDW booked for Star Wars weekends 2012 and I cannot wait to play this game.

In my efforts to trade for these cards I have created a Facebook Group. Since I cannot post a URL just search for "Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom" in Facebook and you will see the group (we are the only one). I'm heavily in the Vinylmation world and trade Vinyls online all the time. So I figured why not try and trade for SMK cards since I don't live in Florida.

The group is open and all are welcome to come talk trade.

Thanks for the heads up! We finally defeated our 2nd villian on medium. Did it automatically take you to hard, or did you have to go back for a reset of the game?

From what I've seen it's a manual setting chosen by the CM when you have it reset after completing a level.

Yea, I've tried more and still being frustrated. If there are visual cues I'm just not getting it. I do have some more ideas I plan to try on my next visit though.

I think my biggest issue right now is that having to cast multiple spells per fight, I'm just not seeing any clues as to what might be working and not working. So I'm finding it hard to tell if I just have to fight 5 times to beat them, or if I'm doing it wrong and wasting time.

We have played so often the last 2 weeks. We are still on medium. I can't imagine we have many villians left to beat. We still haven't figured out a method to the madness. We've listened for clues, used cards from the villian's particular movie. It still seems to be hit or miss. The only thing we did notice was that what a card does changes over time with use. Our Lumiere card now shoots out 3 candles.

Hello Everyone. I'm just starting to collect these cards. I have my first trip to WDW booked for Star Wars weekends 2012 and I cannot wait to play this game.

In my efforts to trade for these cards I have created a Facebook Group. Since I cannot post a URL just search for "Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom" in Facebook and you will see the group (we are the only one). I'm heavily in the Vinylmation world and trade Vinyls online all the time. So I figured why not try and trade for SMK cards since I don't live in Florida.

The group is open and all are welcome to come talk trade.

It's a fun game! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's really catching on in popularity. The other night we waited about 15 to 20 minutes for each portal. That's not too bad when it's nice and cool out, but could be pretty hot during Star Wars Weekends.

I've reached my photobucket max for the month until the 10th. I'll post a pic of the wait in a few days.

From what I've seen it's a manual setting chosen by the CM when you have it reset after completing a level.

Yea, I've tried more and still being frustrated. If there are visual cues I'm just not getting it. I do have some more ideas I plan to try on my next visit though.

I think my biggest issue right now is that having to cast multiple spells per fight, I'm just not seeing any clues as to what might be working and not working. So I'm finding it hard to tell if I just have to fight 5 times to beat them, or if I'm doing it wrong and wasting time.

Don't feel bad. We aren't "getting" it either.

It seems that each guest and cm has a different theory on what works and what doesn't.

it's fun but getting a pack of what you got is annoying

Tell me about it! But trading with people has been fun. We met some really wonderful people!

Just beware if you trade. Someone possilby tried to scam my child last night. They asked to see his cards. He had 15 cards in his hand. Over the course of looking at his cards, they were combined with theirs. They made the trade and my son got the card he wanted. But then the others didn't remember which were their cards and which were my son's.

What could someone visiting on vacation, say for a week, accomplish with this game?

What could someone visiting on vacation, say for a week, accomplish with this game?

They could probably finish the easy level in a day if they stuck with it. We've been playing for just a couple hours each time and enjoying a meal somewhere, so that's why it's taking us so long. It's fun! So there'd should be a level of enjoyment. And they'd probably want to finish the game at some point, so perhaps there is a return trip in the making?

That depends on number of participants. I completed the easy quest in 3 hours and 20 mins with minimal lines. I started the game first thing in the morning. As the day progresses more and more people join the adventure and the lines get longer. Since it has gone live I would guess that the time will depend on how many people are in the park, will prob be mobbed during the summer.

My DD11 and I have had alot of fun trading and talking to other people about the game. We are locals and had collected about 25 cards. Last weekend we dragged my husband and son and each of us got 1 pack (5 each) and thru trading and some very nice people that just gave us some of their cards, we only need 4 more of the first 60. (#5 Eve, #6 Mulan, #8 Triton, #30 Mickey and the Beanstalk). So, of course, we're going to MK again on Saturday.
We are on medium with one more villain to defeat. We have found that Yen Sid and Apprentice Mickey work great. Also Headless Horseman and Fairy Godmother and Rapunzel and Flynn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!