Sore throat for 12 days...stumped!

They should have sent the strep screen out. Could it be thrush? Have you been on other antibiotics lately? Good luck!!

I have not been on antibiotics since earlier in July when I had a bad sinus infection.

I am at the doctor now. Hopefully will get some answers. My throat hurts slightly less today, but there are new sores now. So weird...

I have not been on antibiotics since earlier in July when I had a bad sinus infection.

Make sure you tell them you were on antibiotics and what they were. Sometimes one drug may make you susceptible to another illness, which then you have to be treated for. :headache:

My son had the virus hand/foot/ mouth disease, but only the mouth was affected. I can’t think of the actual medical name for it, but he had a very sore throat with sores. He was about 12 when he had it, so not just for little kids. Hope you get some relief!

So, the doctor was kind of stumped as well. She redid the strep test but it was negative again, although she agreed to send it off for culture anyway.

Her verdict was it's some kind of virus which has resulted in viral canker sores in my throat. She prescribed a lidocaine gargle to ease the pain and said if I am not better by Monday, come back in and she will do more extensive testing. She did not suspect Mono due to a lack of other symptoms, but said it could be herpangina (sp?) or something else from that family of viruses.

So, the doctor was kind of stumped as well. She redid the strep test but it was negative again, although she agreed to send it off for culture anyway.

Her verdict was it's some kind of virus which has resulted in viral canker sores in my throat. She prescribed a lidocaine gargle to ease the pain and said if I am not better by Monday, come back in and she will do more extensive testing. She did not suspect Mono due to a lack of other symptoms, but said it could be herpangina (sp?) or something else from that family of viruses.

That's it! Herpangina is what my son had. He hated the mouth wash the doctor prescribed. He just gargled with salt water and ate Popsicles.

@DLgal hope you're feeling better tonight, I HATE sore throats so I'm empathizing with you.

I would really suggest a mono test.... I have chronic ebv from a past mono infection and so does my 21 year old. She was told it was just a virus and was sick for almost a month, till her spleen enlarged and doc finally did a mono test that showed she was at the tail end of mono... now 10 years later she had a reactivated ebv with all her markers indicated a new infection. My son was also told he just had a bad case of strep so we went to a second opinion turned out he had mono.....

I would really suggest a mono test.... I have chronic ebv from a past mono infection and so does my 21 year old. She was told it was just a virus and was sick for almost a month, till her spleen enlarged and doc finally did a mono test that showed she was at the tail end of mono... now 10 years later she had a reactivated ebv with all her markers indicated a new infection. My son was also told he just had a bad case of strep so we went to a second opinion turned out he had mono.....

My doctor really tries not to run unnecessary tests. I am already feeling much better today and don't think it's mono.

I would ask about a different antibiotic. Some bacteria is resistant to amoxicillin so that could be why it’s not helping

That's what I thought at first too! It could be a bacteria that's resistant to amoxicillin. I had a kidney infection that did not respond to the first antibiotic. It made me feel better for one day, then it raged out of control for two days of high fever and back pain. Got prescribed a different antibiotic that worked.

Make sure you tell them you were on antibiotics and what they were. Sometimes one drug may make you susceptible to another illness, which then you have to be treated for. :headache:

It could be another bacteria besides strep. Or, it could be a yeast infection caused because the good bacteria were killed by the antibiotic. If it's viral, something really hot should kill it, like hot tea with whiskey or gargle with Listerine. The alcohol in both should kill viruses.

[If it's viral, something really hot should kill it, like hot tea with whiskey or gargle with Listerine. The alcohol in both should kill viruses.[/QUOTE]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is definitely not true. Alcohol does not kill viruses.

[If it's viral, something really hot should kill it, like hot tea with whiskey or gargle with Listerine. The alcohol in both should kill viruses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is definitely not true. Alcohol does not kill viruses.[/QUOTE]

Study says it does: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK513254/

Now, it's the wrong type of alcohol, but it does work.

ETA: found one that does list ethanol file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/SakudoVirus.pdf

ETA: Can't get it as a link, sorry!

MY DD had a sore throat for a long time last month. She got antibiotics and it didn't seem to get better until after they were all taken. I am not sure she had a logical explanation for the length time it took for it to go away but it did go away by itself. :confused3

Hope yours goes away soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter