Sorry, I'm sure it's been asked before...what to ask for in an ECV???

Puffy2

DIS Veteran
Three wheels, four? Do they come with four? Any other features? My friend is a small woman - about 110 lb. Comfortable considerations?? I need the scoop!

When you call to reserve the ECV they will ask the approx height and weight of the person using the ECV. This is to determine the appropriate size ECV. I have only used 3 wheelers. I don't know if there is an option for 3-4 wheels. There usually is a basket on the front and I did have one with a cane holder in the back. I have had one with an on board charger and one with a seperate charger. I think I had a better charge with the separate charger.
I found the people at Walker very helpful.I'm sure they will help you.

Nanajo DVC 8/98

Offsite 5/78
Contemp 11/85
BWV 3/99
OKW 11/99
BWV 3/01
OKW 11/01

Here is contact information for the sites that people most frequently mention renting ecvs from while in WDW.
Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
Also lists respiratory equipment

If you go to Walker Medical's website, they have a picture of a typical ecv. Almost all ecvs have a seat arrangement that looks like the one in the picture.
We have never used one because my dd has a wheelchair, but I have seen a lot of ecvs in my travels and because of my work. I have never seen one with 4 wheels (although power wheelchairs do have 4 wheels). A 3 wheel vehicle gives you a smaller turing radius in general.
From reading things our evc expert users have posted, I would say you should think about whether you need an ecv that comes apart for transport (if you will be using a car or van) or one that will fit easily on the WDW bus transportation.∞

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!