Sound protection at different levels?

branv

<font color=blue>The safety feature in my parents
My 4 yo has high functioning autism and ADHD. No surprise he has sensitivities to certain sounds. We know about the headphones for fireworks -- have a pair that worked really well over July 4. But he also is scared of noises from speakers, particularly people speaking. The first time we learned this was our very first trip to WDW when he was two. When we hopped on the tram to go into the park for the first time, the loud announcements from the driver were pretty much the start of his obvious aversion. He's getting better, and is old enough to know to just cover his ears with his hands. But even doing that gets less and less effective as it keeps happening. Our trip to DL last year showed he definitely got emotionally fatigued and defensive from the speakers over time. Plus he needs his hands on rides often. I was wondering if there are headphones out there that will dampen the noise while still allowing him to hear what is being said and what we are saying to him.

Also, I am looking to replace the other headphones we use for fireworks. We got some basic ones from a sporting store that, while folding up nicely, are hard for him to manipulate and put on himself. They're even hard for me! Kiddo is like me in that he has a big ol' head, so it's likely he should just go for larger youth/smaller adult size. I've searched online but there are SO MANY options that I am having a hard time choosing. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

this is something similar to what I have https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mpow-Kids-Protection-Ear-Muffs-Hearing-Protection-Ear-Defenders-Noise-Cancelling/292197301267?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=20180124145912&meid=f93c6fbfa98c4c9e8c569a9eb2d21846&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=322488980940&itm=292197301267&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

if I am having a really bad day I will also use my earbuds and listen to music too. not sure what you have fir fireworks but I find most ear protectors have the same level of noise canceling

I find most have a nose canceling rating of like 25 db you can find some with 34 db like this onehttps://www.ebay.com/itm/34dB-Noise-Cancelling-Ear-Muffs-Hearing-Protection-Ear-Defenders-For-Shooting-/302388457505but they ar much bigger and heaver and not sure they would work for a child

Last edited:
DD only uses 1 pair of headphones - Peltor Jr. it blocks enough of the ambient noise but she can hear me talk to her. We don’t ride the tram, but from what you describe she would wear her headphones. She doesn’t need them much for fireworks, but we rarely watch from within MK.

Enjoy your vacation!

we have used swimmer bands before and there is a sleeping head band with ear buds built in .. so you can use it to pipe music in ,but still hear enough when awake.. the ones I have , have a unicorn on the front.. they had different animals on the kids ones.. and the adult ones are boring black !! lol

Thanks so much everyone! I'll look into all these great suggestions.

DD only uses 1 pair of headphones - Peltor Jr. it blocks enough of the ambient noise but she can hear me talk to her. We don’t ride the tram, but from what you describe she would wear her headphones. She doesn’t need them much for fireworks, but we rarely watch from within MK.

Enjoy your vacation!
The Peltor Jr. ones seem to be the most popular. You will see many kids and small adults wearing them at WDW.
You can find them (or very similar ones) on Amazon.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter