South West Rapid Rewards Dilemma - What Would You Do?

PSUGuy

Bill From PA
Briefly, our fare window opens March 14, I got SWs 40,000 point credit card 2 days ago and immediately bought Hoppers from UT that spent the $1,000 needed to get the 40,000 points. Yesterday I called SW to see when the points would show up on my account and was told it would take 1 or 2 billing cycles. it appears I won't have them by March 14. It seems I have 2 options, charge the air fare on March 14, gaining more points for future flights or waiting past the 3/14 date, getting air fare only after the points are credited. My fear is that the fares will go up a lot by that time, I always get the fare on the first day and only once did the fares go down, often going up. Our trip id Oct 29 - Nov 6.

What would you do?

Bill From PA

Last edited:
How often do you fly? Would you use the points in a reasonable time? Once you have the credit card, as long as you use it once a year your points aren't going to expire. But then you would be paying cash for this flight. My understanding is that usually the points are credited a few days after the statement closes in which you hit the spend. First statements from Chase can be shorter or longer than the standard, it might be worth calling Chase to see when your statement closes. If you don't get the points in time, I would pay cash and get the flight you want when it's released.

Briefly, our fare window opens March 14, I got SWs 40,000 point credit card 2 days ago and immediately bought Hoppers from UT that spent the $1,000 needed to get the 40,000 points. Yesterday I called SW to see when the points would show up on my account and was told it would take 1 or 2 billing cycles. it appears I won't have them by March 14. It seems I have 2 options, charge the air fare on March 14, gaining more points for future flights or waiting past the 3/14 date, getting air fare only after the points are credited. My fear is that the fares will go up a lot by that time, I always get the fare on the first day and only once did the fares go down, often going up. Our trip id Oct 29 - Nov 6.

What would you do?

Bill From PA

When does your statement close for the month? My DH opened 2 SW cards last year when they had 60 K bonus points offered. For both, his bonus posted within 1-2 days of the statement close in the month we made the final spend amount. I know SW/ Chase will say it can take several cycles, but it I think that is a cover your butt type statement, not what is typical. There is usually some type of SW credit card thread on the budget board, so you might get some answers there about how long it usually takes for points to post. But you might just be surprised how quick you will get your points.

Thanks for the quick replies. I will call to see when my billing period ends, I just assumed it would be 30 days or so from the activation of the card, maybe I'll get lucky. We've flown SW down and back yearly but we're retiring in a few months so the points will be used as before and on other trips. I will be checking to see if RR points have been awarded, if they're not there the morning our window open I'll probably just charge the tix and use the points in the future. I'll check the Budget Board too.

Bill From PA

I find, for my market, the fares are not the cheapest on opening day. So, I wouldn't worry about it and I would wait until the points show up.
Agreed. In the past, I would buy tickets as soon as they went on sale. In recent years however, I wait and usually there is some sort of promotional sale that offers a better rate.

It looks like their schedule is only opening up for travel through 11/2/19, so worse case scenario you could pay cash for your travel on 10/29/19 and use your points for your return flight on 11/6/19.

Do you think prices are going to go up 2x the cost by the time you get the points credited and get the free companion pass? If not, just wait. Seriously, you just met the minimum spending requirement 2 days ago. That's not a lot of time for them to credit anything.

Another vote to wait. We usually get our tickets when the window opens, but I always check for lower prices. Usually the prices rise at first, then they drop back then they rise again then drop. Since you are traveling on non holidays I would wait, if you were going during Thanksgiving or Christmas I would buy the tickets now.

Have you ever use SW points before? You can change and cancel without penalties.

It looks like their schedule is only opening up for travel through 11/2/19, so worse case scenario you could pay cash for your travel on 10/29/19 and use your points for your return flight on 11/6/19.

Excellent point! I knew I would be doing a split purchase but I didn't think of how that would fit in with the new points thing. This will be my first use of points, now the only question is whether to jump on the first day of availability with $$ or wait for the points to be credited. Seems to be a lot of advice to wait. Thanks to all for your input.

Bill From PA

Agreed. In the past, I would buy tickets as soon as they went on sale. In recent years however, I wait and usually there is some sort of promotional sale that offers a better rate.

This is so strange. I fly from Buffalo. A few years ago, that is what I found. At that time, many people on the Dis said they definitely had the best rates on opening day. If I bought on opening day, I always found a lower rate later & got a credit. The last year or so, I am finding the opposite. The rates are lowest right at the release & I have not seen anything lower, even with sales. So strange but it really emphasizes to me that you need to know your own market & what prices are good for your routes. What is true for one person may be totally opposite for someone else.

This is so strange. I fly from Buffalo. A few years ago, that is what I found. At that time, many people on the Dis said they definitely had the best rates on opening day. If I bought on opening day, I always found a lower rate later & got a credit. The last year or so, I am finding the opposite. The rates are lowest right at the release & I have not seen anything lower, even with sales. So strange but it really emphasizes to me that you need to know your own market & what prices are good for your routes. What is true for one person may be totally opposite for someone else.
True. I just bought summer tickets at the end of a local promo. Tickets have been on sale for July/August for a while now- but this promo offered steep discounts.

So strange but it really emphasizes to me that you need to know your own market & what prices are good for your routes. What is true for one person may be totally opposite for someone else.

This. Too many people around here assume that 1) Southwest is always the cheapest airline, and 2) what happens in their neck of the woods is what happens everywhere.

Good luck OP! Love SW and the ability to change/cancel/ play around with flights ..and get all those points back without issue.
I’d book atOpening if cost is good for ur market. I book one ways as well.. easier if changing one segment and cost is the same at sw.
And if within 24 hours.. ur points pop up, or flight $ changes ( doubt that) They Will refund back to ur cc and then just use ur points, if point flight is available.
Happy, safe travels to u!

We have found fares are not the best on opening day anymore. We actually found our best fares 30-60 days out.

And if within 24 hours.. ur points pop up, or flight $ changes ( doubt that) They Will refund back to ur cc and then just use ur points, if point flight is available.
Happy, safe travels to u!

Thanks, didn't know this.

Bill From PA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!