Southern Campgrounds Say What

cruising spud

DIS Veteran
So, we are slowly meandering our way home from our Disney vacation. Two nights ago we stop at a campground. Quiet. Beautiful lake behind us. And, a sign....Remember, it's illegal to feed the alligators. What? Is this what Southerners deal with on a daily basis? When I go out to my backyard, I see cute bunnies.

Here are the signs at Gulf State Park, location for the infamous DIS Meets.

It must be an Alabama thing that they have to warn about "aggravating" the alligators.

20180910_095625 (2).jpg

j

The alligators don't bother me as much as the snow, ice, and mud did! And they can't open their mouth under water, so if you get in the water with them, get all the way under. :smokin: Scuba gear or a snorkel. And avoid evenings/ nights/ early mornings. Also don't stroll by on the bank during those times, especially with your dog on a leash.

The reason is stupid campers.

In past years tiggerdad has had a site not on the lake at Gulf but across the road (#18). The gators show up and float just off-shore probably because they've been fed/thrown food from shore in the past. We all go to his site and watch his waterfront neighbor deal with it. Like bears in nature, once a gator associates food with humans, it becomes a nuisance animal. We had a saying about feeding bears that "a fed bear is a dead bear".

Gators aren't that aggressive unless you get too close (stupid) or feed them (more stupid). I know it's just liability lawyers being cautious.

My favorite is the "beware of gators" at the state park swimming area (duh). Yes, Lakpoint SP in Eufala, AL - I'm talking about you. DW saw that and that was all she wrote (not that I was going to argue with her).

I'd rather set up a slip-n-slide at my campsite or swim in the gulf with the sharks, jellies, and rays. :crazy:

Bama Ed

The alligators don't bother me as much as the snow, ice, and mud did! And they can't open their mouth under water, so if you get in the water with them, get all the way under. :smokin: Scuba gear or a snorkel. And avoid evenings/ nights/ early mornings. Also don't stroll by on the bank during those times, especially with your dog on a leash.

You try this straregy, and I'll try staying out of the water, and we'll see who ends up as 'gator feed. Psst.. they have a valve in the back of their mouth that allows them to open up underwater.

Really, alligator encounters aren't that big of a problem. Most southerners know to be aware of them and stay clear. Problems arise when tourists do things like let their small children play in lakes at sunset, or decide to throw steaks to the gators to see them eat. All it takes is one injury, 1 death, 1 lawsuit, and suddenly everywhere there are signs warning of wildlife.

At all of our local swimming holes. They don't have to tell me twice.

o-leno-state-park.jpg
We had a saying about feeding bears that "a fed bear is a dead bear".

Bama Ed

A fed bear is a dead bear, unfortunately, but usually a fed gator is a dead child or pet. :sad2: Completely ridiculous that people have to be told, and even more so when you see them do it anyway! They can count on me to rat them out before taking another step. I always have my cell phone on me.

You try this straregy, and I'll try staying out of the water, and we'll see who ends up as 'gator feed. Psst.. they have a valve in the back of their mouth that allows them to open up underwater.

It was meant to be sort of a joke post. I guess I should have put a winking eye (still can't find one) instead of :smokin:. I don't get in the water with gators. The "all the way under" is just foolishness that native Floridians have been spouting off to me since I moved here 12 years ago, along with "under 4' aren't a problem." :rolleyes1 In my opinion, a 4" gator is a problem!

It was meant to be sort of a joke post. I guess I should have put a winking eye (still can't find one) instead of :smokin:. I don't get in the water with gators. The "all the way under" is just foolishness that native Floridians have been spouting off to me since I moved here 12 years ago, along with "under 4' aren't a problem." :rolleyes1 In my opinion, a 4" gator is a problem!

Internet can be hard to tell sarcasm vs serious. Sorry I took it wrong!

I had no idea that alligators were such a big thing in the South. Honestly, the first time I really gave it any thought was after reading about the young boy who was killed at Disney several years ago. Now, I notice the signs and take precautions. Southern Disboard members-thanks for the information.

Actually alligators now live as far north as North Carolina.

I had no idea that alligators were such a big thing in the South. Honestly, the first time I really gave it any thought was after reading about the young boy who was killed at Disney several years ago. Now, I notice the signs and take precautions. Southern Disboard members-thanks for the information.
As a native Floridian you grow up knowing there is likely to be a gator in any standing body of water, no mater the size. Yes, unfortunately people feed them, thus they lose their fear of people and start associating them with food, and that's when they become a problem.

I have said for years that the internet needs a special "sarcasm font"

I throw this gif out there at times. Feel free to download and use it if you want, folks. I put it at the beginning and end of my sarcastic phrases.

Bama Ed

PS - I try to play it down the middle here on the DIS but sometimes it's very hard to stay there ...

It's defeating Darwinism as far as I am concerned. Get rid of the signs. With as much National Geographic videos on gators/crocodiles as there is, if they haven't figured it out by now don't spoil my entertainment by stopping them.

Gators have to eat too...

I consider Virginia "south."

Yes, I lived just a little north of there for awhile in edge of Maryland, and they said they were 'south' too, but that sure did not make it so!!
Any further north than SC over to LA, IMO is considered 'north' - mixed, for sure, and definitely not like in the deep south.
Any alligators in those areas are defectors and renegades! We live in Raleigh, NC most of the time (dh can't take the constant heat of LA) and trust me, they're not the same 'south' that I know - nor TN or KY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!