Southwest Airfares Increase

As Southwest expands its route network, it needs to allocate their available aircraft to routes believed to bring in the most revenue - not necessarily where there will be the most demand for seats. A full plane does not mean that the flight is making a lot of $$$.

When Southwest has competition from other carriers in a particular market or routes, the fares will tend to be more competitive; it generally works that way with most airlines. In smaller markets, where there is little or no competition, the fares tend to trend a bit higher.

Also, since the economy has been in recovery and more businesses and individuals have been traveling, there are very few flights with lots of unsold seats. Again, it is supply and demand. The airlines no longer need to entice customers with extremely low fares, as when the economy was not doing well.

Airfare across the board seems to have gone up again this year.

Southwest was the cheapest for us going down, but we American Airlines points on the way home.

We booked our flight from Philadelphia for $143 a couple weeks ago and now it’s $212 . Glad we didn’t wait.

I’d say book as soon as your flights come out.

I put the last week of Sept in and used 10/1 for a return date, because 10/1 has been posted. I looked at Sept and Oct last year, and they were fairly similar, so I was using Sept this year as a reference/base point to get an idea (and it's double from last year too). I then looked at April and May this year, just to see, and it was double too. Weird.....
You're going to have to wait and see when the fares are released. Pricing is full of many variables hard for any of us to actually be able to tell you.

But FWIW September 2017 are within $6 RT to Orlando for same travel dates (meaning day of the week not date of the month) as September 2019 for my airport if I checked today. Flight times are slightly different for non-stop.

Different markets, different variables. I'd go crazy though trying to constantly compare the years personally lol.

Also check around for other airlines that are in your market. SWA releases their schedule later than others typically.

When Southwest has competition from other carriers in a particular market or routes, the fares will tend to be more competitive; it generally works that way with most airlines. In smaller markets, where there is little or no competition, the fares tend to trend a bit higher.

This is why I get the results I get with waiting, I guess. I live in Southern CA and have no less than 6 major airports within a reasonable driving distance. SNA, BUR, SAN, LGB, LAX, ONT. Southwest serves them all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter