Southwest and children

TigerLilly's Mom

<font color=FF99FF>Victim of a drive-by tagging!
Will Southwest let you preboard if you have children? Our youngest is 4 - I'm looking for answers from people with children who have flown Southwest, I have heard a couple different oppinions on this - thanks!!! Tonia

Absolutely they will let you pre-board! I was VERY worried that one of my 3, first time flyers, ages 9, 7, and 4 would end up sitting alone. The flight attendant assured me that nobody would want that. LOL. She also said that if that situation ever arose that the attendants would help by asking a couple of people to switch seats to enable you to sit with your children. We were very happy with Southwest and are flying with them again in January.

Great thanks so much - I will try and take that off my worry list, lol. It is getting so close, so my list is getting bigger! Tonia

We have flown Southwest many times... We are always allowed to preboard when traveling with a child 5 or younger. What they don't allow sometimes is your entire party to board, only the parents and kids... Some have been upset that Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Great Grandparents have had to wait until their regular boarding group. I still encourage you to check in at the gate an hour before your flight, it just makes it easier.

Great the more expierences I hear, the less nervous I am. It will only be parents and children traveling so I don't think we will have a problem. Tonia

We have flown Southwest many times and have always had a wonderful flight. We were always able to preboard.

Last Dec, when we left New Orleans, the attendants came ask if we were ready to preboard. I really hadn't thought about it since there was only about 10 people waiting to board - and the plane was practically empty. (We had a late flight out - only about 20 people total on flight. And, we arrived in Orlando approx 15 minutes early!!)
On the flight back from Orlando, I asked about preboarding and they said they (in Orlando) no longer preboard small children because almost everybody is flying with children from Orlando. It really wasn't a problem though - we were in the first group to board anyway.

It's true that they don't preboard just for small children at MCO, but they will still preboard an adult and small child if you need to install a carseat in the aircraft seat. It takes time to install a carseat, and they don't want to hold up departure while you get it done. Also, the carseat is supposed to go in a window seat, and they don't want to have to move anyone if there are no window seats remaining.

Disnee Dad Says...............................Depending on how long your flight is, I would bring some snacks. The add that states you get peanuts because we charge peanuts is true! Not that I'm complaining, a few months before 9/11 and all the fees they have now, We flew from Sacramento,CA to Portland,OR for $90 round trip, including the fees and taxes at that time!
Before that, when DD was young they always let us pre board. You will be fine!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter