• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest boarding question...

ozziewags

Go Warriors!
When you get your boarding pass now from SW, is it a random A, B, C group card, or do they give out A's first, then B's, then C's? Does it matter where you get it? Skycap, counter, gate? Thanks.

Carol

They just change it. They are given out in order. A's, b's, c's. The system is linked through all areas of handout, so no matter where you check in, it's the overall check-in order.

Hi ozziewags- The new system is just like the old, except "A" replaces 1-30, "B" replaces 31-60, and so on. The problem was that people felt that if they got there extra early and got a low # like 1-5, then they did not need to get on line again to board. When they finally got on line they were shocked to find that they were now behind people with #s as high as 30. The new system puts an end to the question of the lowest # being first in line. Now the first 30 "A" group people line up same as before, if you don't line up early, you're in the back of the line in that grouping.

HI JudithM- They always did in the past as well as people with very young ones. They have stopped allowing entire groups or families to pre board with them though. I believe that now its just the person with medical needs and someone to accompany them, or a parent with the young child. Some families seemed to find ways of getting the entire family on board using the pre-boarding excuse, so they've started limiting the use during pre-boards. Keep in mind that they are flexible and won't leave children alone or cause any extra anxiety to their customers. If a child too old to pre-board seems upset at the thought of only 1/2 the family pre boarding first, they'll try to accomodate.

We just used SW a few weeks ago, and they gave our party of 4 two 'A' and two 'B' passes. Since I don't care to be lining up right away and standing around (there was plenty of that at DW!), we waited until they started boarding and got on the end of the 'A' line.

SW does preboard 4 and under - immediate family only. Also medical needs. We went with DD - 5 in March - she was given number 91 - all by herself, the line was on the other side of the room from the line for 60-90, so we gave her tag to Dad, since the plane was overbooked - although they said they were very strict that your number must match your boarding pass. DD was not happy that Daddy wasn't with the rest of us - she was worried he wouldn't find us. When it was our turn to board, she was quietly sobbing, "I need my Daddy". The boarding agent saw DH turning red - "Are you Daddy?", and pulled him out of line to board with us! We did get to sit in two rows together, DD5, Daddy and Mom in one row, DD11 and DD13 in the row in front.

This will be our first time using Southeast (here in PA). Could someone please fill me in on exactly how this whole boarding thing goes? If the whole party is there at the same time and initialy checks in together are we assigned to different "groups" even though we checked in together? If so why, it just doesn't seem to make sense? I knew there was a chance the party might get split up and our youngest is 12 and wouldn't have a problem with it. But I'd planned on getting there early and hopefully avoiding it. The above posts make it sound like they diliberately try and seperate parties? We fly from Allentown to St Pete with a really short layover (arrive at 6:00 in St Pete and land in Sanford at 6:30) will we have to go through the whole line up thing again. Frankly, it doesn't sound like we'll even have enough time to get off the plane and reboard? Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks!

If the whole party is there at the same time and initialy checks in together are we assigned to different "groups" even though we checked in together?

It's possible, but not likely. They don't intentionally break groups up. There are only a certain number in each group, when the "A" group is filled they move on to "B". For instance if you have 4 in your party and when you get your passes there are only 2 spots left open in "A" then the other 2 people would be given a "B" boarding pass. It's just bad timing if it happens and something that probably doesn't occur very often. ahoff's post is a perfect way to "get around" the problem should it occur.

The above posts make it sound like they diliberately try and seperate parties?

No, not at all. But, if there are only 30 A passes and you have 4 people and there are only two A passes left, then you are going to get 2 B passes.

If you are switching planes on your layover, you will need to get new boarding passes.

We used SW for the first time in October - thanks to advice from Gail, we were ready for it. Arrived at the Bradley airport almost 2 1/2 hrs early - and at the curbside check-in were handed 2 A passes - made it so easy. What a great flight and the crew were wonderful - sang, and made all feel most comfortable. We will definitely fly them again.

Thanks for the explanations everyone. It makes perfect sense now the way you've explained it. If we get unlucky we'll just use the "ahoff method" and deal with it! Honestly, my son (the 12 year old) flew from London to Malaga, Spain last year with the three of us all seperated and didn't bat an eye. It's me who likes to have everyone together. Only 17 more days :Pinkbounc Just can't wait to be there! This is the first time the kids are cruising. So nice to look forward to the relaxing cruise after a hectic week in the parks. Thanks for the reassurance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter