Southwest incident today

Was her seat belt fastened? That is what I'm trying to picture, still being fastened in and also being half way out a window. Considering you are told to keep your seat belt fastened whenever you are seated I'm assuming unless she was just about to get up or just returned to her seat she would be buckled in.
Obviously we don't know yet, but I think about leaning against a window to sleep in flight. If the pane suddenly disappeared my head and upper third of torso would easily go out, even with my backside firmly planted in the seat. If I were being pulled up and straining against the seatbelt it could be more . I can imagine that being dedcribed as "half way" by those in the situation.

They are very rarely on time, at least on the flights I have taken with them............

On Monday, DW flew El Paso to Houston and arrived early. Then Houston to Tampa, left gate 2 minutes early arrived 20 minutes early. Have NO ISSUE with 24hr pre-boarding online check-in and the free baggage allowed.

If I had to guess why they mention it, it's because most pilots are currently male. I don't really see it as a big deal they mentioned it, but that's just IMO.

Because if they hadn't when people tell the story about it they will refer to the pilot as "him" and then there will be complaints about how society always assumes that men are pilots.......

I'm glad that they said "female" pilot to give credit that women pilots are just as capable (if not more so) than the males

I also think it's noteworthy that the pilot was a woman. It's good for everyone to see that she was able to land the plane safely despite a rather major incident in the air. I'm proud of her (as I was Sullenberger)

I fly quite often and have seen way more female pilots in the last few years. Always makes me happy.

We had a female pilot on SW last September flying from Rhode Island to Orlando. She was excellent and I said to my wife while getting off the plane that it was one of the smoothest landings we've ever had. I'm glad the article mentioned it was a woman pilot so everyone knows what we know, that they are every bit as capable as a male pilot.

Why does it matter?
This^
Again statiscally African American pilots are an even smaller percentage than women, do you think to these things when you see one?
I am honestly appalled, do you what shows people that they are just as capable? That they earned their license same as the men did.
Just because there are some sexist people in the world does not mean we should pander to them in the way we provide information-“look at the girl pilot”. It’s by treating is as normal for a women to have achieved such a thing.
Furthermore her name should have been a big enough hint of her gender.

Yeah, actually the first article I read about was this one, and the writer definitely just assumed/defaulted to male because it says: "Everyone clapped and praised the pilot after he set the aircraft down."
It could have been easily written as a gender neutral sentence in the first place.
And the answer to one journalists gender bias is not to over correctnit in another.

FWIW while her name could be reasonably assumed to be female there are males with names that are largely female-Ashley, Courtney, Avery, Dana, etc heck even my own name is unisex.

I know where you're coming from but I think, IMO, it would be worse to assume gender based on name than to call out the gender as it was done.

It sounds like the passenger who died suffered a heart attack. It is unclear if this was the same person who was pulled out the window.

If I were sucked out of a plane, then my cause of death would most certainly be HEART ATTACK.

Why does it matter?
This^
Again statiscally African American pilots are an even smaller percentage than women, do you think to these things when you see one?
I am honestly appalled, do you what shows people that they are just as capable? That they earned their license same as the men did.
Just because there are some sexist people in the world does not mean we should pander to them in the way we provide information-“look at the girl pilot”. It’s by treating is as normal for a women to have achieved such a thing.

It could have been easily written as a gender neutral sentence in the first place.
And the answer to one journalists gender bias is not to over correctnit in another.
Her name wasn’t released until hours after the incident.

Was her seat belt fastened? That is what I'm trying to picture, still being fastened in and also being half way out a window. Considering you are told to keep your seat belt fastened whenever you are seated I'm assuming unless she was just about to get up or just returned to her seat she would be buckled in.
News tonight said her seat belt was fastened.

FWIW while her name could be reasonably assumed to be female there are males with names that are largely female-Ashley, Courtney, Avery, Dana, etc heck even my own name is unisex.

I know where you're coming from but I think, IMO, it would be worse to assume gender based on name than to call out the gender as it was done.

Listen I have a daughter named Elliot, we know all about people assuming gender based on name, it’s to be expected when you choose a unisex name for your child.

You would never have a news story refer to a man by his gender in a news story like that where his gender is irrelevant to the story. No matter the profession, even in a female dominated profession.

And it is sexist to do so. Just as it is sexist to “notice I had a female pilot and told my wife what a smooth landing we had” as if that should be less than expected.

Her name wasn’t released until hours after the incident.

And until such time they could have simply referred in a gender neutral way,or when the gender was known simply used female pronouns in the story.
There was no reason whatsoever to say “female pilot”

Just as it is sexist to “notice I had a female pilot and told my wife what a smooth landing we had” as if that should be less than expected.

Excuse me I was the one who said to my wife that it was a smooth landing. I told her that after we landed and was taxiing to the terminal. Then as we were walking off the plane the pilot was saying goodbye to we passengers and that was my first inkling that the pilot was female. So I resent you calling me sexist! But I won't wait for an apology.

Listen I have a daughter named Elliot, we know all about people assuming gender based on name, it’s to be expected when you choose a unisex name for your child.

You would never have a news story refer to a man by his gender in a news story like that where his gender is irrelevant to the story. No matter the profession, even in a female dominated profession.

And it is sexist to do so. Just as it is sexist to “notice I had a female pilot and told my wife what a smooth landing we had” as if that should be less than expected.

And until such time they could have simply referred in a gender neutral way,or when the gender was known simply used female pronouns in the story.

OK, we get it. You've got this big sticking point about being upset that they said she was female. Sorry the news coverage bothered you. Let's move on and talk about the sad reality of the accident and the incredible work done by the (gender not mentioned ;) ) pilot.

I am glad she was identified as a female pilot immediately. You having a problem with it is your issue, not mine. Not everything is a mountain.

I doubt the poor woman even had time to have a heart attack. It sounds like she was sucked out the window and hit her head on the plane or was hit by shrapnel almost immediately. Hopefully she lost consciousness so fast she had no idea what happened.

Last edited:
News tonight said her seat belt was fastened.

I'm just trying to picture it and can't. I'm sure at some point there will be a diagram or reenactment video and I believe it but I'm trying to imagine the logistics of it.

News on my way to work this morning reported that medical examiner ruled she died due to blunt force trauma to the head and upper torso.

That's good to know. It sounds like it was very sudden, which is the one thing I would have hoped for, had she been a loved one of mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter