Southwest incident today

Listen I have a daughter named Elliot, we know all about people assuming gender based on name, it’s to be expected when you choose a unisex name for your child.

You would never have a news story refer to a man by his gender in a news story like that where his gender is irrelevant to the story. No matter the profession, even in a female dominated profession.

And it is sexist to do so. Just as it is sexist to “notice I had a female pilot and told my wife what a smooth landing we had” as if that should be less than expected.
Listen...my name used to be only in the boy's section of the baby book when I was a kid, it wasn't until years later that it was used for females and listed in the girls section and is now a more popular name for females.

You've got a stickler about gender but respectfully, this isn't the situation to 'fight the cause' so to speak. At least IMO.

I'm just trying to picture it and can't. I'm sure at some point there will be a diagram or reenactment video and I believe it but I'm trying to imagine the logistics of it.
I even hate to try to picture it because seriously that's a scary thing to think about but I'm honestly like you. I think it's because I'd want to know if this is a freak accident or something that needs to be reviewed.

In past accidents with decompression via a single large hole, it has happened that bolted-down items have been torn out. The force is THAT strong. One explanation I read said that a seat belt wouldn't be enough to withstand that kind of force if the hole were large enough; that the force at cruising altitude could easily be enough to pull out the entire seat, including the passenger strapped into it. (This happened, awfully, on United 811 back in 1988, when 9 passengers and their seats were pulled through a 10 x 15 foot hole in the fuselage of a 747 after a cargo compartment door latch malfunctioned. It happened over the Pacific Ocean, and they were never found. https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/AAR9202.pdf)

It only lasts a few seconds until the pressure equalizes, and the larger the hole, the faster that process happens.

However, in terms of needing to be reviewed, it will be; the NTSB always looks at whether or not any apparent freak accident could be the start of a new pattern, and mandates inspection routines accordingly.

Last edited:

However, in terms of needing to be reviewed, it will be; the NTSB always looks at whether or not any apparent freak accident could be the start of a new pattern, and mandates inspection routines accordingly.
Well..yeah and I think that goes without saying but that's not what I was meaning (if you're speaking about my comment).

I doubt the poor woman even had time to have a heart attack. It sounds like she was sucked out the window and hit her head on the plane or was hit by shrapnel almost immediately. Hopefully she lost consciousness so fast she had no idea what happened.
Her heart likely stopped as a result of the head and other trauma she suffered, also known as cardiac arrest. This is different than a heart attack, per se, which is caused by blockages in the coronary arteries. I think the heart attack thing got thrown around when people saw CPR being done.

I am picturing her feet being the thing still caught up in the seatbelt and what kept her from being sucked out. (I suppose soon enough we'll be seeing a video illustration!) Not sure what the cowboy and EMT were grabbing onto when they were pulling her back in!

I feel sorry for her loved ones having to live with the terrible knowledge of how she died.

I read they are still deciding whether or not to sue. I suppose that could be a whole other thread, but if we look at suing as punitive, I guess they'll need to look at the manufacturer of the engine (is it Mercedes?) and whether SWA knew that there was a problem either with these engines (metal fatigue) or this particular engine.

I'm sure Southwest will offer a substantial settlement, as I'm sure they feel horrible as well as understand this will cause some people to fear flying with them.

It will be interesting to see how the family moves forward.

I think it was said it was a freak accident. Either way, I am sure SW will compensate the family. I feel awful that she had to die that way. For the family, I am glad they have her body, as in the link I put above, plus the other example that was said, bodies were not available for 2 years, and not at all.

I feel sorry for her loved ones having to live with the terrible knowledge of how she died.

I read they are still deciding whether or not to sue. I suppose that could be a whole other thread, but if we look at suing as punitive, I guess they'll need to look at the manufacturer of the engine (is it Mercedes?) and whether SWA knew that there was a problem either with these engines (metal fatigue) or this particular engine.

I'm sure Southwest will offer a substantial settlement, as I'm sure they feel horrible as well as understand this will cause some people to fear flying with them.

I think it was a Boeing engine, but am unsure.

“The CFM56-7B engine is produced by CFM International, a 50/50 joint company of GE and Safran Aircraft Engines.”

From the CFM website.

They will sue, I'll bet you money on that. They will sue Southwest, the engine manufacturer, the window manufacturer, and also without a doubt her employer, and who ever else they can.

Boeing and Airbus (and in the past Lockheed and McDonnell-Douglas) don't manufacture airplane engines. They build the planes. Engines are built by outside companies, like GE, Pratt & Whitney, Rolls Royce, and others. Airlines choose what type of engines they prefer for new planes and Boeing will install them.

They will sue, I'll bet you money on that. They will sue Southwest, the engine manufacturer, the window manufacturer, and also without a doubt her employer, and who ever else they can.

What is your theory on a potential cause of action against her employer?

Can I ask how you are so sure?

She died while on the clock so to speak. They will sue the employer. Their workers comp insurance company will most likely handle it.

Dying on the clock in and of itself isn't a legitimate cause of action, irrespective of any involvement or payout of any benefit by workers comp or any other employer furnished insurance.

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the NTSB is focusing on the cowling failure. The problem was caused by the broken fan blade, but apparently the cowling should have contained that, and it didn't.
Historically, engine designers and maintenance crews have been on guard against internal parts shooting into the cabin or out the front of the engine. Kevlar shielding and other design elements are primarily intended to prevent such an event, called an uncontained failure.
But experts tracking the probe now are focusing on an apparent vulnerability in the cowling, which shouldn’t have been affected by the kind of internal failure that apparently occurred Tuesday.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fan-bl...uthwest-flight-1380-engine-failure-1524090195

I think it was said it was a freak accident. Either way, I am sure SW will compensate the family. I feel awful that she had to die that way. For the family, I am glad they have her body, as in the link I put above, plus the other example that was said, bodies were not available for 2 years, and not at all.

Why do you think it was a freak accident? It will take the NTSB months to do a thorough investigation, which will include design and materials failures, as well as maintenance or human errors. At this point no one has any clue why the initial fan blade failure happened, why it wasn't contained, and if there was anything that could have prevented it hitting a window.

If they're going for the punitive piece, if for no other reason than to change or improve how airlines inspect these engines going forward, then they'll likely primarily go after the engine manufacturer and the airline. (So I imagine the employer is safe!)

I did read today that the FAA has ordered all of these engines, which comprise a huge percentage of engines on 737s, inspected immediately, so that's a start.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter