Southwest incident today

Why do you think it was a freak accident? It will take the NTSB months to do a thorough investigation, which will include design and materials failures, as well as maintenance or human errors. At this point no one has any clue why the initial fan blade failure happened, why it wasn't contained, and if there was anything that could have prevented it hitting a window.

I said "I think it was said" and I did not say it was a freak accident. News has said such. I am sure they will find out why that fan part broke, and how we can better protect the windows from airborne shrapnel.

If they're going for the punitive piece, if for no other reason than to change or improve how airlines inspect these engines going forward, then they'll likely primarily go after the engine manufacturer and the airline. (So I imagine the employer is safe!)

I did read today that the FAA has ordered all of these engines, which comprise a huge percentage of engines on 737s, inspected immediately, so that's a start.

The CFM56 engine is the most produced large jet engine ever. That's going to be a lot of engines to inspect carefully, including on Airbus planes and for the military variants.

I said "I think it was said" and I did not say it was a freak accident. News has said such. I am sure they will find out why that fan part broke, and how we can better protect the windows from airborne shrapnel.

The main issue is that everything adds weight to a plane. Ideally a plane would have almost no windows other than for the doors and the cockpit.

636349553577749372-FedEx777.jpg

We'll have to see.

My husband's employer provides insurance coverage should he expire while on the job. The benefit is payable without the necessity of bringing a lawsuit.

There are plenty of potential legal fish to fry in this situation and no doubt an actual attorney will have no problem understanding they gain nothing by filing suit against the employer and the employer's attorney promptly filing a motion asking the court to be dismissed as a party, which they doubtless would be when the lawyer cannot hold out a single shred of liability that could be laid at the feet of the employer. The employer didn't require her to travel with an illegal carrier, in the cargo hold or pilot a plane herself to get there. No doubt any insurance coverage will be paid out, along with the remainder of any benefits and there's no cause to sue the employer.

No reason to impugn her family by suggesting insatiable greed or vengeful grief either.

I think both pilots did a fantastic job managing the engine failure, descent and comms. The FA crew also did a fantastic job in the cabin. They all executed their duties superbly, under immense stress, calmly and professionally.

CFM International, is sending about 40 General Electric and Safran technicians to assist the airline in its ongoing engine inspections. And, other airlines are doing inspections of their own. I know that airlines have had contained and uncontained engine failures in the past. I think this is SW second uncontained engine failure in the past two years.

The last time someone died was on a Delta flight back in 1996. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_Flight_1288

I wonder if the uncontained engine failure is an engineering flaw.

Last edited:
I just learned about this today (a bit out of the loop, apparently!) when some students were telling me about it. I quickly jumped online to see what they were talking about and was alarmed to learn it was Southwest. I haven't flown all that much in my life, but with my newfound love of visiting Disney as often as possible, Southwest is becoming part of my life. I flew with them for the first time in December, my parents are flying with them out to Denver next month, and I'll be flying with them again down to Orlando in June.

I have to admit, the plane we took TO Orlando in December was definitely showing signs of age. I thought at first it was because I haven't flown that much and it had been awhile (I have flown multiple times over my life, but it had been several years since I'd been on a plane), but the flight just seemed kind of rough. The pressure bothered my ears a lot, and the cabin just seemed kind of...rattle-y? Loose? Noisy? When we flew home, we were on a newer plane and it was so obvious. Quiet, smooth, no problems with pressure in my ears, less...rattle-y? LOL.

Either way, the flights were fine and the crew was wonderful. They are the most affordable and convenient way to get down to WDW, and regardless of this sad incident, they're still a lot safer than driving. There are thousands of people killed in automobile accidents every day. I'll take my odds with a 1 and a half hour flight over a 12 hour drive. Plus...more Mouse time.

My heart goes out to the woman's loved ones, all the people on that terrifying flight, and the Southwest family.

I just learned about this today (a bit out of the loop, apparently!) when some students were telling me about it. I quickly jumped online to see what they were talking about and was alarmed to learn it was Southwest. I haven't flown all that much in my life, but with my newfound love of visiting Disney as often as possible, Southwest is becoming part of my life. I flew with them for the first time in December, my parents are flying with them out to Denver next month, and I'll be flying with them again down to Orlando in June.

I have to admit, the plane we took TO Orlando in December was definitely showing signs of age. I thought at first it was because I haven't flown that much and it had been awhile (I have flown multiple times over my life, but it had been several years since I'd been on a plane), but the flight just seemed kind of rough. The pressure bothered my ears a lot, and the cabin just seemed kind of...rattle-y? Loose? Noisy? When we flew home, we were on a newer plane and it was so obvious. Quiet, smooth, no problems with pressure in my ears, less...rattle-y? LOL.

Either way, the flights were fine and the crew was wonderful. They are the most affordable and convenient way to get down to WDW, and regardless of this sad incident, they're still a lot safer than driving. There are thousands of people killed in automobile accidents every day. I'll take my odds with a 1 and a half hour flight over a 12 hour drive. Plus...more Mouse time.

My heart goes out to the woman's loved ones, all the people on that terrifying flight, and the Southwest family.

Try not to worry too much about it being Southwest. This is the kind of thing that could happen on any airline. Unless it comes out that there was negligence in the maintenance and upkeep company-wide, I wouldn't let this stop me from flying with them. I was on SW on Tuesday, sitting at Love Field in fact (Southwests' home base) waiting for a connection. These incidents usually are quite isolated, and even when there is engine failure, the planes are usually landed safely. The odds of that piece of metal breaching that window are also incredibly small. Certainly it's a tragic happening and they should review all aspects of it and determine the cause, which will ensure future flights on that aircraft and that airline are even safer now.

Try not to worry too much about it being Southwest. This is the kind of thing that could happen on any airline. Unless it comes out that there was negligence in the maintenance and upkeep company-wide, I wouldn't let this stop me from flying with them. I was on SW on Tuesday, sitting at Love Field in fact (Southwests' home base) waiting for a connection. These incidents usually are quite isolated, and even when there is engine failure, the planes are usually landed safely. The odds of that piece of metal breaching that window are also incredibly small. Certainly it's a tragic happening and they should review all aspects of it and determine the cause, which will ensure future flights on that aircraft and that airline are even safer now.
Wise words.
(Side note, every time I see a post of yours, I yearn for the Haunted Mansion, LOL)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!