Southwest Rewards Card - already cashed in points - need to return purchase

MaggieBags

Mouseketeer
I hope this makes sense....

I got the Southwest Rapid Rewards card. Spent $2k, received 60,000 bonus points, used points to buy flights.

The $2000 was spent through Orbitz to reserve our resort at WDW. Now I see Disney has lowered their rate and I'd save $300 by booking through them. Went ahead and made the deposit.

What will happen when I cancel through Orbitz and get the refund? I can pay off Disney first. Can I go ahead and ask for the refund once I see the new $2k charge hit my credit card account?

I've attempted to send a note to Chase asking but they didn't understand the question. I'll try phoning next week. Hoping someone here might know.

Thank you

Chase will deduct or otherwise withhold any new points you earn until you make up for the credit.

if you are planning on keeping the card, I would just use it to pay Disney for the vacation. That would be about a wash with the points. You won't earn any new points until the deficit is made up from the cancellation.

Yes- just use it to pay for your new plans, and it should be close to the same for points.

Chase will deduct or otherwise withhold any new points you earn until you make up for the credit.

This is how it works when you earn points normally, but since the 60k points were a bonus earn, I don't think it is the same.

OP, I don't think anything will happen to your points. BUT, here's something you can do...call Chase and say you lost your SW credit card. They will cancel it and issue you a card with a new number. Then call Orbitz and cancel but tell them the credit card you used is no longer valid and they will issue your refund via check. Done.

if you are planning on keeping the card, I would just use it to pay Disney for the vacation. That would be about a wash with the points. You won't earn any new points until the deficit is made up from the cancellation.

But with the earn rate, he would have to spend $60,000 to earn back those points! They are not going to value 60000 points at a $2000 new spend. Those were bonus points...

Are you sure disney is cheaper direct now? Orbitz usually comes out ahead out by stacking their own promo with wdw sale price. I have come out way ahead like this several times, most recently this week.

Are you sure disney is cheaper direct now? Orbitz usually comes out ahead out by stacking their own promo with wdw sale price. I have come out way ahead like this several times, most recently this week.

I just re-checked (got my hopes when I put in one less night than the original reservation). But yes, Disney is still cheaper. I too find that Orbitz is usually cheaper with their code. Just not this time. But it is a good reminder to re-check periodically.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter