Southwest Sampler Birthday Trip; Suggestions?

JzeroT1437

<font color=blue>My advice: Get mono<br><font colo
I have a few days in the Southwest planned for my birthday (7th-11th), and have scheduled waaayyyyy too much into them. I'm pretty indefatigable, so energy won't be a problem; time will be, however. Here's the plan:

7th: Arrive at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport at around 11:30, rent car, drive to Flagstaff and visit Meteor Crater or Sunset Crater/Wupatki National Monument. Check in at Hotel.

8th: The Grand Canyon. I'm dedicating a whole day here, but only one day. Wish I had more time for it.

9th: Drive back to Phoenix, stopping in Sedona early in the morning for a Pink Jeep Tour (Broken Arrow) and to explore the area (Grasshopper Point, Slide Rock State Park, Chapel of the Holy Cross, and Red Rock Crossing). Get back to Phoenix by 5 PM to drop off car and head to airport for flight to Anaheim. Catch taxi from John Wayne airport to Disney hotel. Explore Downtown Disney if I'm not utterly exhausted.

10th: Disneyland/DCA. Once again, only one full day, and once again, wish I had more time. Got a ticket to the Halloween Party over in DCA, so I've got 8 AM-midnight access for both parks. This should be enough time to check out everything I really want to.

11th: Head back to Disneyland for a few early morning hours (about 4) visiting anything I may have missed, then head back to John Wayne for a flight back to Phoenix. Land in PHX around 3. Visit Camelback Mountain and hike if not utterly exhausted. Head to hotel and rest until departing for home the next morning.

This is all tenative, with the exception of Disney and The Grand Canyon, of course, they're the main events. I'll take the other things as I get around to them, and if I miss something, not a big deal. Things I've already left out include: Walnut Canyon, San Francisco Volcanic Field (both near flagstaff), Schnebly Hill Vista (Sedona), Deer Valley Rock Art Center, and Encanto and Pupago Parks in Phoenix.

Guess I'll just have to come back some day. Still, I'm very excited. Anybody have suggested swaps or things which I should extend time for?

I have a few days in the Southwest planned for my birthday (7th-11th), and have scheduled waaayyyyy too much into them. I'm pretty indefatigable, so energy won't be a problem; time will be, however. Here's the plan:

7th: Arrive at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport at around 11:30, rent car, drive to Flagstaff and visit Meteor Crater or Sunset Crater/Wupatki National Monument. Check in at Hotel.

8th: The Grand Canyon. I'm dedicating a whole day here, but only one day. Wish I had more time for it.

9th: Drive back to Phoenix, stopping in Sedona early in the morning for a Pink Jeep Tour (Broken Arrow) and to explore the area (Grasshopper Point, Slide Rock State Park, Chapel of the Holy Cross, and Red Rock Crossing). Get back to Phoenix by 5 PM to drop off car and head to airport for flight to Anaheim. Catch taxi from John Wayne airport to Disney hotel. Explore Downtown Disney if I'm not utterly exhausted.

10th: Disneyland/DCA. Once again, only one full day, and once again, wish I had more time. Got a ticket to the Halloween Party over in DCA, so I've got 8 AM-midnight access for both parks. This should be enough time to check out everything I really want to.

Not really. I'd give DLR 3 days....but a day & a half is better than no days.

Where will you be staying? & What month?

11th: Head back to Disneyland for a few early morning hours (about 4) visiting anything I may have missed,

Depending on the day/date....& depending on if you have Magic Morning, you can get ALOT done in 4 hours in the early morning. Check out HydroGuy's Tip Thread Sticky at the top of the DL Board for ALOT of info.

then head back to John Wayne for a flight back to Phoenix. Land in PHX around 3. Visit Camelback Mountain and hike if not utterly exhausted. Head to hotel and rest until departing for home the next morning.

This is all tenative, with the exception of Disney and The Grand Canyon, of course, they're the main events. I'll take the other things as I get around to them, and if I miss something, not a big deal. Things I've already left out include: Walnut Canyon, San Francisco Volcanic Field (both near flagstaff), Schnebly Hill Vista (Sedona), Deer Valley Rock Art Center, and Encanto and Pupago Parks in Phoenix.

Guess I'll just have to come back some day. Still, I'm very excited. Anybody have suggested swaps or things which I should extend time for?

Have a great time planning a visit to Walt's Park. :thumbsup2

Will be at DL October 10th (full day) and the 11th (few hours).

I'm getting there at opening and staying until closing--giving me 16 hours in DL and 13 hours in DCA with the Halloween Party, so I should be able to get a good bit seen that day alone. To be honest, I'm more excited about exploring the landscape than riding the rides. I can't wait to get on the superior pirates and space mountain, the DL-centralized Indiana Jones, and am looking forward to the original Haunted Mansion, but I've rode the rides at DW and am more excited to see the differences between the parks.

I really wish I had more time for everything. I've actually been considering the purchase of a return flight from Anaheim that's a few hours later but I dunno if I will or not.

Sunrise/Sunsets at the Grand Canyon are awe inspiring. Simply indescribable.

I'd tell you not to miss Papago Park (with the Botanical Gardens and Zoo) but you are already so jam packed there really won't be time.

Enjoy your trip!

I think too much in Sedona... but most is doable......

7th: Visit Montezuma's Castle and then go see Sunset Crater/Wupatki National Monument. Even tho Meteor Crater is interesting, I think that seeing Sunset Crater/Wupatki will be better. Stay in Flagstaff.

8th: If you don't end up seeing Wupatki/Sunset Crater you can visit them early in the morning as you head from Flagstaff north to Cameron Trading Post. Stop here for a quick visit. Then enter the Grand Canyon via the East Entrance. Stop and see Desert View Watchtower and Tusayan Ruin. Also visit as many overlooks as you. Will you be staying inside the park?

9th: I don't know if you can do all you have planned for Sedona. It takes 2+ hours to drive from GC to Sedona. Then from Sedona to Phoenix is another 2+ hours. You really do not have much time. I would drive Oak Creek Canyon, spend a few hours in Sedona enjoying the views and having lunch. Leave Sedona by 1pm for the 2+ hour drive/car check in/airport stuff.

Hope this helps some.:rotfl:

I think too much in Sedona... but most is doable......

7th: Visit Montezuma's Castle and then go see Sunset Crater/Wupatki National Monument. Even tho Meteor Crater is interesting, I think that seeing Sunset Crater/Wupatki will be better. Stay in Flagstaff.

8th: If you don't end up seeing Wupatki/Sunset Crater you can visit them early in the morning as you head from Flagstaff north to Cameron Trading Post. Stop here for a quick visit. Then enter the Grand Canyon via the East Entrance. Stop and see Desert View Watchtower and Tusayan Ruin. Also visit as many overlooks as you. Will you be staying inside the park?

9th: I don't know if you can do all you have planned for Sedona. It takes 2+ hours to drive from GC to Sedona. Then from Sedona to Phoenix is another 2+ hours. You really do not have much time. I would drive Oak Creek Canyon, spend a few hours in Sedona enjoying the views and having lunch. Leave Sedona by 1pm for the 2+ hour drive/car check in/airport stuff.

Hope this helps some.:rotfl:

Actually I'll be staying Flagstaff the night of the 8th. Unfortunately I waited too long to plan the trip so I couldn't get a backcountry permit and it goes without saying that I couldn't get Phantom Ranch ressies, so I'm going to explore the park until sundown and probably a little later, then head back to Flagstaff for some sleep before getting up early for a Pink Jeep Tour in Sedona at 8 AM the next morning.

8 AM probably sounds pretty early for a vacation, but I'm from the East Coast, so 8 AM in Arizona is 10 AM for me.

The info you provided is extremely helpful, actually. How long do you think I should allot for Wupatki/Sunset? They both look kinda massive. Are the canyons and sights centralized or do they require a lot of trekking from place to place?

I think Montezuma's Castle looks perfect for a pitstop between Phoenix and Flagstaff. Will definitely be stopping there on my first day.

As for Sedona, the aforementioned Jeep tour should give me a good feel for the land and allow for some great pictures. The main goal of Sedona is to get some beautiful pics and take in the scenery which a drive through Oak Creek coupled with the tour should do. I do really want to see Cathedral Rock, though. I am having a bit of difficulty pinning down its location. My flight doesn't head out until 8 PM, but my rental car is due back at 5, so I could probably head out from Sedona around 2 or 3 and still make it back with a little time to spare.

Any other advice? I'm desperate for any insight from past travelers or locals. Never been on a trip quite like this or nearly as packed with plans.

I agree with you on the early morning hours. We are east coast too, and on our western trips we get up and out soooooooooo early. Pink Jeep tour is fun, but we liked Slide Rock way more. SUPER FUN! Sedona is gorgeous, but it is a half day event. I cram tons into our trips too since its such a far ride to get there..gotta get as much in as possible! Have fun planning!!!

Will be at DL October 10th (full day) and the 11th (few hours).

The 10th is a Friday. (No MM, so there won't be folks in the park when you arrive.) Start collecting FPs in DL immediately for use Friday evening (which will be jammed). You should have 4-5 FPs in your pocket prior to "hopping" to DCA at 11ish.

The 11th is a Saturday. If staying at one of the three DL hotels you will have MM. If not, you won't. Two different strategies to employ depending on if you have MM or not.

I'm getting there at opening and staying until closing--giving me 16 hours in DL and 13 hours in DCA with the Halloween Party, so I should be able to get a good bit seen that day alone. To be honest, I'm more excited about exploring the landscape than riding the rides.

Best way to explore the landscape is on your tour thru the rides. Most of the rides you'll want to ride are also the very popular rides....so a good touring plan is preferable.

I can't wait to get on the superior pirates and space mountain, the DL-centralized Indiana Jones, and am looking forward to the original Haunted Mansion, but I've rode the rides at DW

but possibly not Alice, Matterhorn, Pinnichio, Toadie, Roger Rabbit, Storybookland, Casey Jones, a better Buzz, a better SM, & an overated Nemo in DL. Must do's in DCA include Griz Rapids, Screamin (a good ride to do "singles"), Monsters, the fantastic Alladin show, a better Soarin' & possibly others.

and am more excited to see the differences between the parks.

There are lots....& the castle is really really small. Imagine a really small castle....well, DL's castle is smaller ;). But....Walt's park is magical in SO many ways.

I really wish I had more time for everything. I've actually been considering the purchase of a return flight from Anaheim that's a few hours later but I dunno if I will or not.

The most important thing to remember in enjoying DLR is to get to the gates 30-40 min. before opening. One can get SO much done the first 2 - 3 hours (especially if you have MM). With only one day, it's even more critical. Also learn how FPs work at DL (much different than at WDW), they can save you hours on that day. Finally get the slow loading rides out of the way first....many of these can be ridden in minutes early & later in the day long lines form.

If you haven't already come across this, read HydroGuy's super thread. Print the abreviation page & then begin reading the threads in order.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520483

:)

I'm actually at work so I can't read Hydroguy's thread yet, but I'll post this quick question with hope for a response:

When you get a FP in DL do you have to wait a certain period of time to attain a new one, or can you just go to another FP machine immediately and get another? I know at DW you have to wait. I also know at DL you can use FP even after they expire.

Thanks!

I'm actually at work so I can't read Hydroguy's thread yet, but I'll post this quick question with hope for a response:

When you get a FP in DL do you have to wait a certain period of time to attain a new one, or can you just go to another FP machine immediately and get another? I know at DW you have to wait. I also know at DL you can use FP even after they expire.

Thanks!

When you get home read the FP threads in the link i provided....lots of info.

To answer your question, yes you have to wait......but collecting early in the am means much shorter "waits" between picking up FPs. & yes you can use FPs "after they expire" (but only on the same day).

For example on Friday:

- 8:04am (one of you pick up FPs at Indy while the rest walk to Matterhorn)
- Matterhorn (maybe both sides)
- Alice
- Toadie
- Storybookland Canal
- Buzz (short fast line in the morning)
- 8:50am (pick up FP at SM)
- BTMRR (short lines in am....probably ride, if not walk to)
- HM (shorter line in am)
- Pirates (shorter line in am)
- 9:45am (grab a BTMRR FP if you haven't ridden or Splash FP....or
- Jungle Cruise or take the Train around to ToonTown
- Pick up a FP for Roger Rabbit (disconnected) walk around Toon Town
- IASW is unfortunately closed.
- Check on Nemo (if you must) & if under 45 min. if you must ride...then ride. If not try...
- Pinnochio/Snow White Teacups? & on your way out
- pick up a Buzz FP at 10:45

Hop to DCA & immediately pick up FPs at Soarin & Griz (Griz is dis-connected)

So at 11am you have an Indy, SM, BTMRR (or Splash), Buzz, Roger Rabit, Soarin & Griz FPs in your pocket for later.

Also you've ridden the slow loading Matterhorn, Alice, Storybookland, Toadie & Pinnochio(all DL exclusive). Also you've ridden Pirates, JC & HM (which will be very crowded later).

You're in DCA ready for a bite (glass of wine?) & touring in this fun park for 2-3 hours before hopping 100 yards back to DL. When you return you'll be able to ENJOY Walt's park more leisurely as it is more crowded AND you've already gotten your bearings. Most important, you have FPs in your pocket so long lines (on those popular rides) are no problem.

But ARE YOU STAYING AT A DLR HOTEL??? IF YES, THEN YOU CAN DO SOME OF THIS BETWEEN 7-8AM SAT. MORNING.

Nope, not gonna be at a DLR hotel, unfortunately. No MM for me. I was actually contemplating renting a car and making the drive from my hotel to Huntington Beach early in the morning possibly for sunrise. I remember loving the Pacific in San Fran, so it'd be nice to visit it again even if only for a little bit.

I also may change return flights to SW. They have a pretty cheap flight back to Phoenix which would provide several more hours in the second day (8-9ish hours instead of 4).

To be honest, I'm more excited about exploring the landscape than riding the rides. I can't wait to get on the superior pirates and space mountain, the DL-centralized Indiana Jones, and am looking forward to the original Haunted Mansion, but I've rode the rides at DW and am more excited to see the differences between the parks.
Sounds like a wonderful trip!!!

One comment...you won't be seeing the "original" Haunted Mansion right now, because it's in "Haunted Mansion Holiday" mode now, with the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay. Which I think is really well done, so I'm glad you'll get the chance to see it!

I hope you don't get as confused with the layout of DL as I did with the layout of MK the first time I visited WDW - Haunted Mansion is in the "wrong" place (it's where Country Bear Jamboree is at MK) and BTM is about where Hall of Presidents is.

Have a great time!!!

So I bought the Southwest One-Way ticket back to PHX so now I have until 4 in Anaheim the second day. Would you guys recommend I use it for Disneyland again or head up to the Getty Villa and over to Huntington Beach? Can't decide if I wanna wedge in a little taste of LA before I leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter