Southwests new fares for October released. Ouch!

Disneyliscious

DIS Veteran
Yeah, def not what I was hoping for. There are a few $91 fares in there but they have us landing close to midnight in Orlando. I'm feeling the sting for sure. Have a group of 9 going so its def a hit.

For those who keep track, fares were released at 6:15am EST this morning.

I was able to book 3 RT tickets with early bird for less than $700, so I'm pretty happy. $105 from NOLA to Orlando and $91 back. Although I will say I've never seen any of the $49 or $59 fares from my area to Orlando.

I was able to book 3 RT tickets with early bird for less than $700, so I'm pretty happy. $105 from NOLA to Orlando and $91 back. Although I will say I've never seen any of the $49 or $59 fares from my area to Orlando.
I got $91 flights as well, the lowest I’ve seen from the Buffalo airport that I use is $79

I was looking for PIT-LAX or SNA. Only non-stop leaves at 6:45pm, so I would lose my first day. Connecting flights are outrageous. I am just short on miles for American, I used my credit card this month and the miles should hit my account next week so I can book a free ticket there.

As I suspected, SWA let me down...

It's just three of us going and I have to book at least one leg of our trip on SWA points because I spent a good chunk of our airfare budget on points to "top-off" what I had already in my account. I was hoping that I could get fares under $200 each....wrong!

GRR-MCO...we want to go on Friday night but we cannot leave before 5pm due to school. SWA has 2 options...one departs at 5:00pm, makes 2 stops and lands at 11:55pm for the bargain price of $305 per person:sad2:. The other option is a steal at "only" $254 per person, departing at 6:40pm and only stopping once before landing at 11:55pm.

The return trip is only slightly better...but we have to change our dates. We originally planned to come home on Friday, but not at these prices. The cheapest option is again $254 per person and that would mean a 9am departure and a 4-hour layover in Chicago with a 7-hour total travel time...no thank you! There is only one option on the Friday schedule that is even remotely appealing (departs at 6:40pm and lands at 11:55pm) and it is currently listed at $305 so unless that comes down A LOT, we will not be coming home on Friday.

In case you are keeping track, yes, that is $500-$600 per person, round-trip, from GRR-MCO and nothing is non-stop.

I think my points are going to be used to book our return trip for Saturday morning instead. Right now, there is an EARLY (6:10am!) flight that is only $164 so I can get all three of us on that flight. It's not ideal, and I am hoping that the prices go down for Friday and I can change, but for now, it's the only option. There is no way I am going to fly down on SWA, even if the prices drop. I can book us on a flight on Delta that leaves GRR at 5pm and lands at 10:30pm (an hour and a half earlier than we could arrive on SWA!) for only $167. Since we would only check one bag between the three of us, I could care less about SWA and their "free" checked bags. Their airfare is TRIPLE what Delta's is so their baggage is not "free" as far as I am concerned:crazy2:.

Last edited:
Not a happy camper today, either. There are only 2 flights a day from Islip...in May there are 4. And those 2 flights are at crazy times, 6am or 9pm! Islip is so convenient, but I might have to make the trek into JFK. Ugh!

$180 from Louisville and $118 back. Not good.
$151 from Cincy and $151 back, both with layovers. Not good.
$118 each way from Louisville to Tampa-maybe. That seems to be our route now, couldn't tell you the last time we flew into MCO on SW, just too expensive.

Delta from Cincinnati remains $199 RT non stop. Probably going that route again.

I was thrilled to see SW land in Cincinnati, but haven't seen 1 flight that has been worthwhile yet. Delta is smashing SW on price from CVG.

SW from PHl for my dates are cr--. Sunday 1 non stop 6:XX am and 1 non stop at 5:xxPM last flight if not cancelled. All the rest are 4 to 7 hours flights. Thank you SW

Only two nonstop flights a day (on days I checked) out of Buffalo for me, which is fewer than September. I thought October would have had more options than September but apparently not!

I booked our outgoing flights for 11/2. PHL to MCO. 6 am non stop flight. Arrive at MCO at 8:25 am. $156 per person. A bit more than I wanted to pay but I know Jersey Week drives up prices. Spirit has a flight out of Baltimore (2 hour drive) for $58 at 6 am also. I thought about it but after paying for the $9 fare club, gas, tolls, bags and hotel I wouldn't be saving anything. Only DD and myself are going. If all four of us were going then it may have been worth it. Plus I'm very scared of flying Spirit.

That same flight I got is now $369!!! I bought within minutes of it being released. I'm so glad I jumped on it!

Now to wait for return flights to release. We come home 11/11. I'll fly into PHL or Baltimore depending on price and time. My SO can pick us up at either airport since it's a Sunday.

Holy cow!! I just logged back in to the SWA site and the prices from this morning have been cut in half:faint:!

I'm still glad I booked my flight down on Delta because I can arrive at 10:30pm instead of midnight, even though the SWA price is now $20 cheaper, but that's OK. I knew the schedule was going to be better (for now, anyways) on Delta.

I was able to change our flight home and now we can come home on Friday night like I wanted to instead of leaving at 6am on Saturday morning. The 6:40pm flight on Friday night was $305 this morning. When I booked the Saturday flight ($164) I was hoping it would eventually go down. I checked in on a whim when I got home from the dentist and I was shocked to see that the flight on Friday night was now listed at $147! Woo Hoo!!!! I was able to change it AND get some points back.

SWA came through...this will work out great. We don't typically check a bag on the way down since our hard-side spinners are carry-on size. We do check them on the way home, though, and now that we are flying SWA home, they will be FREE!

Last edited:
my flight went from 120 to $201 o/w for the 6:30 am flights out of PHL went up within an hour

Yes, i was just going to say we just checked and from grr flights are half what they were this morning. Thank goodness we were looking at detroit and chicago that would be a pain... glad it worked out!

I noticed that the prices went down, as well. We need a flight for August and all of the ones for the day we're looking at went down. Only one that didn't was the nonstop one-that's sold out at the cheapest fares. I'll keep checking!

I booked with points 2 r/t tickets from K.C. To MCO. Each segment was $142 and were on October 24 (Wednesday) non stop, arriving just after midnight (I booked airport hotel and will take Magical Express in the morning) and leaving on October 30 at 5 PM on a non stop. At some point, the fare should come down to around $95 each way and I'll check it frequently to rebook.

Holy cow!! I just logged back in to the SWA site and the prices from this morning have been cut in half:faint:!

Just the opposite for us. What we got for $611.00 with Early Bird yesterday is now $999.92 before adding EB. The early bird and worm thing I guess.

Bill From PA

I have learned that all the rules have changed. Prices are not always best when they are first released. Sometimes yes, but if they are much higher than expected it can pay to wait. Last year Jersey Week fares from EWR and PHL opened sky high and WGA fares sold out. Months later the WGA fares reappeared and were half the price!

Our nonstop flights from DCA to MCO that we booked for October yesterday morning jumped from $744 for three people all-in (including EBCI) to $861 this morning. Glad I booked at the release.

Southwest definitely whacked back a few of the nonstop flights between D.C. and MCO and I really don't like that pattern.

I have learned that all the rules have changed. Prices are not always best when they are first released. Sometimes yes, but if they are much higher than expected it can pay to wait. Last year Jersey Week fares from EWR and PHL opened sky high and WGA fares sold out. Months later the WGA fares reappeared and were half the price!

I’m so hoping for this! Just don’t know how much longer I’ll be able to wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!