Southwests new fares for October released. Ouch!

Does anyone know when Thanksgiving flights will be open ... I need MCO to Midway

I am hoping that a sale happens tomorrow or Tuesday that will help my fare in October

The first flight of the day released at $91. As of this morning its $291 (ONE WAY). All the fares from BNA to MCO keep going up. I'm having to buy 5 of the tickets for our group of 9. We are seriously just considering driving the 12 hour drive at this point. This is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

Southwest fares have definitely started creeping up from the DC area. Now have to go to Baltimore to get the really good deals. Most from DCA or IAD are like $96 each way. It's not bad but other airlines are the same or less. We've ended up booking JetBlue and it'll be cheaper as long as we don't need to check more than one bag (which is the most we do).

As I suspected, SWA let me down...

It's just three of us going and I have to book at least one leg of our trip on SWA points because I spent a good chunk of our airfare budget on points to "top-off" what I had already in my account. I was hoping that I could get fares under $200 each....wrong!

GRR-MCO...we want to go on Friday night but we cannot leave before 5pm due to school. SWA has 2 options...one departs at 5:00pm, makes 2 stops and lands at 11:55pm for the bargain price of $305 per person:sad2:. The other option is a steal at "only" $254 per person, departing at 6:40pm and only stopping once before landing at 11:55pm.

The return trip is only slightly better...but we have to change our dates. We originally planned to come home on Friday, but not at these prices. The cheapest option is again $254 per person and that would mean a 9am departure and a 4-hour layover in Chicago with a 7-hour total travel time...no thank you! There is only one option on the Friday schedule that is even remotely appealing (departs at 6:40pm and lands at 11:55pm) and it is currently listed at $305 so unless that comes down A LOT, we will not be coming home on Friday.

In case you are keeping track, yes, that is $500-$600 per person, round-trip, from GRR-MCO and nothing is non-stop.

I think my points are going to be used to book our return trip for Saturday morning instead. Right now, there is an EARLY (6:10am!) flight that is only $164 so I can get all three of us on that flight. It's not ideal, and I am hoping that the prices go down for Friday and I can change, but for now, it's the only option. There is no way I am going to fly down on SWA, even if the prices drop. I can book us on a flight on Delta that leaves GRR at 5pm and lands at 10:30pm (an hour and a half earlier than we could arrive on SWA!) for only $167. Since we would only check one bag between the three of us, I could care less about SWA and their "free" checked bags. Their airfare is TRIPLE what Delta's is so their baggage is not "free" as far as I am concerned:crazy2:.

We had the same thing when our dates were released last month! over $600 RT EACH. And not nonstop. We fly from GRR also. We were going to drive to Chicago as it was MUCH cheaper, but I was waiting for the 50000 points for DH's new SW Visa to hit his account. When they did last week, flights were WAY down. More like $350 RT. We had enough points to cover all 4 tickets each way. When the flights were first released, our points would only cover 3 tickets ONE way. So, YAY!

Ours are cheaper if we fly into Tampa but since we are staying at Daytona a few days, that means a 2.5 hour drive one way once we get off the plane. We're holding out on buying tickets just yet. Might even hold off until June at this point. We're prepared to drive if we have to but I'm not shelling out $500-$600 for a RT plane ticket X 5.

Ours are cheaper if we fly into Tampa but since we are staying at Daytona a few days, that means a 2.5 hour drive one way once we get off the plane. We're holding out on buying tickets just yet. Might even hold off until June at this point. We're prepared to drive if we have to but I'm not shelling out $500-$600 for a RT plane ticket X 5.

Agree, that is expensive! Ironically, flights from BWI to TPA have been ridiculous. They are 163 for all dates. Nothing lower even on Tuesday or Wednesday. It doesn't make sense because you can fly from BWI to MCO for much less.

I just booked my trip right now. Price went down a little bit. Enough for me to just do it. Got round trip for non stop flights both way for $288. I was satisfied with that from the west coast. We never get non stop so this is a treat for us.

the day we want to leave for MCO from PHL now only has 1 nonstop and that is the last flight of the day. All the rest are 4 to 7 hours

Right now sitting on 6,800 points down (2nd AM NS on a Saturday) & $119 back (last NS but lousy 5:00 pmish time on a Saturday) for October trip with SWA.

I check Spirit, Allegiant & even Frontier (of which i’ve not flown) when I’m just not comfy with the price/points I’ve shelled out for SWA flights.

Fully know what i’m getting into, surely prefer to fly SWA. However, it’s hard to pass up $24 & $19 fares to MCO from PIT when they pop up for dates I’ve booked on SWA for at least three or four times the price. Now & again I’ve seen great rates to LAS & LAX too.

These sales tend to only pop up a month or two out in my market and I also have 2 airports from which to choose for Spirit RT, PIT/LBE. Helping me work my APHs.:banana:

Strategy only works if you will be able to use the cancelled SWA credit before it expires.

Last edited:

Oh my, that’s a lot of $$$! Not sure how long your drive would be, but I’d consider it especially if you have more than one driver.

Have you considered Clearwater beaches? They are absoutely stunning. Daytona Beach is nice in it’s own right, esp if a racing fan, totally different vibe though. Sanford is closer to Daytona than MCO, might be an option for you if your market serves it.

FYI, rental car prices have been off the charts too. Make sure to get something in place there.

Oh my, that’s a lot of $$$! Not sure how long your drive would be, but I’d consider it especially if you have more than one driver.

Have you considered Clearwater beaches? They are absoutely stunning. Daytona Beach is nice in it’s own right, esp if a racing fan, totally different vibe though. Sanford is closer to Daytona than MCO, might be an option for you if your market serves it.

FYI, rental car prices have been off the charts too. Make sure to get something in place there.

Our drive is about 10-12 hours. I drove/rode it so many times over the course of 25 years and in 2015 I flew for the first time (first time flying to FL). It was a 1 hour and 15 min flight. It literally adds 2 whole days to your vacation by flying because you save so much time but I dont think I can justify it at these prices. And yeah, I've got 2 rental cars locked in at ungodly high prices as well. If the rental cars and plane tix don't drop by June, we'll def be driving this trip. Plane tickets and rental cars alone are costing our group of 9 $3600-$4200. Utterly INSANE. In 2009 I took a 10 day trip to Daytona Beach and Disney World for 4 people for less than $3000. I know thats been almost 10 years but still. We could pay for our entire trip (hotel, townhouse, park tickets) for what the plane and car rental is pricing out right now.

As of today (from March 8th) our one way BNA-MCO flight has went from $91, $291, $295, and then (drum roll please).......$336!!!!

As of today (from March 8th) our one way BNA-MCO flight has went from $91, $291, $295, and then (drum roll please).......$336!!!!

Ouch. I hope you booked but if not I recommend holding out to see if it drops or if you can wait until June for the big sale. Just remember you need at least 21 in advance for a sale.

Ouch. I hope you booked but if not I recommend holding out to see if it drops or if you can wait until June for the big sale. Just remember you need at least 21 in advance for a sale.

Did you snag a great fare then last year?

Did find a nice fare in in the June, 2015 promo, but not since for the June sales in any of the markets we fly. :confused3

Out of several pending flights, they were a bit lower than what they had segued up to by that point, yet still more than we were holding.

Did you snag a great fare then last year?

Did find a nice fare in in the June, 2015 promo, but not since for the June sales in any of the markets we fly. :confused3

Out of several pending flights, they were a bit lower than what they had segued up to by that point, yet still more than we were holding.

I did find a great fare last year. I think I paid $128 each way but that is out of SF going in December. This year we are going in October and we booked already. It was $144 each way but it was the first time we have ever seen a non stop fly out of the west coast. We had to jump on it but hope maybe for some credit back in June. We have a couple other trips that a credit would be great for.

I did find a great fare last year. I think I paid $128 each way but that is out of SF going in December. This year we are going in October and we booked already. It was $144 each way but it was the first time we have ever seen a non stop fly out of the west coast. We had to jump on it but hope maybe for some credit back in June. We have a couple other trips that a credit would be great for.

Congrats Any time i can find a fare from PIT to LAS, LAX or SNA under $400 RT I’m dancing. Usually more like $600 initially on SWA. Now & again Spirit will produce but such a long flight in cramped seats, makes you appreciate SWA lol

Congrats Any time i can find a fare from PIT to LAS, LAX or SNA under $400 RT I’m dancing. Usually more like $600 initially on SWA. Now & again Spirit will produce but such a long flight in cramped seats, makes you appreciate SWA lol

I hear you. I would never fly southwest before unless it was a flight that was only 2 hours or less in fear of stops so I am glad they are offering more. I am also suspecting once they get the approval to fly to Hawaii we will see a lot more planes stopping here in the west coast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter