Space Coast Marathon & Disney

MusicalAstronaut

DIS Veteran
I know it's not a RunDisney event, but it's so close to "home", I've decided to make it one big trip! Is anyone else doing the Space Coast marathon/half marathon and are you going to Disney after?

I am! I'm signed up for the half marathon North course as well as volunteering for packet pickup on Saturday! I might go to Disney in the days before or after as well. I live on the space coast so it's like my home marathon :)

I know it's not a RunDisney event, but it's so close to "home", I've decided to make it one big trip! Is anyone else doing the Space Coast marathon/half marathon and are you going to Disney after?

I've done it three times before (Space Coast + Disney) and plan on doing it again this year.

The three previous times I ran it, the Space Coast was six weeks before Disney which fit perfectly into my training plan. This year, there's seven weeks between them so I'm going to need to adjust my plan.

I love the Space Coast marathon....I really hate the expo they have (too crowded for the size of the venue) but the race is really fun and laid back, the medals are awesome, and you get a beach towel too!

I've done it three times before (Space Coast + Disney) and plan on doing it again this year.

The three previous times I ran it, the Space Coast was six weeks before Disney which fit perfectly into my training plan. This year, there's seven weeks between them so I'm going to need to adjust my plan.

I love the Space Coast marathon....I really hate the expo they have (too crowded for the size of the venue) but the race is really fun and laid back, the medals are awesome, and you get a beach towel too!
Good to know about the expo, and I didn't know about the beach towel! Awesome!

Good to know about the expo, and I didn't know about the beach towel! Awesome!

If I lived close, I would pick up the packet/bib early...I forget the details but that is an option they made available. Unfortunately, we don't live close or get in early enough so we're forced to pickup at the expo.

I'm signed up for the south side half course, and currently have DVC reservations for a few days after at Disney. Whether I end up going to Disney depends on if it ends up being a solo trip or not

I'm signed up for the south side half course, and currently have DVC reservations for a few days after at Disney. Whether I end up going to Disney depends on if it ends up being a solo trip or not
It's probably going to be a solo trip for me. I like to go about halfway through December normally, but I figured since I was driving all the way down there I might as well combine the two occasions. I hope I can walk at the parks the next day!!

I'm doing Space Coast and will be at Disney beforehand. We're driving over to have Thanksgiving dinner at Victoria & Albert's.

I plan to do this race and then Disney at some point. I have family and a free place to stay in Melbourne so why not? I have done Tampa area races and then Disney after. I really like the non-Disney race + Disney combination.

I’m doing space coast. Want to get those new Big Bang medals.

Fir me will be part of dopey training. I’m doing the Atlanta thanksgiving half marathon Thursday then Spacr coast full on Sunday. 7 weeks out from dopey that will fit in nicely.

Last edited:

Fir me will be part of dopey training. I’m doing the Atlanta thanksgiving marathon Thursday then Spacr coast full on Sunday. 7 weeks out from dopey that will fit in nicely.

Two marathons in 4 days?!?! That's hardcore!

I’ve been wanting to run Space Coast but the schedule hasn’t worked out for me yet. I think I’ll hold out for 2019 or 2020, though. I like those medals better! :)

Fir me will be part of dopey training. I’m doing the Atlanta thanksgiving half marathon Thursday then Spacr coast full on Sunday. 7 weeks out from dopey that will fit in nicely.

Two marathons in 4 days?!?! That's hardcore!

Typo. Thanksgiving is hand marathon. Then space coast marathon 3 days later. I’ll pribsbku add in a 3 and 6 mike run before thanksgiving and make a mini dopey out of it.

Nice! I'm in Atlanta but not doing the half, haha. Space Coast will be my first full. Maybe in the future I'll use it to do my own Dopey! I also really want the new series of medals so good timing for me to do my first when they start the new series. :D Any tips for keeping my legs fresh between the drive from Atlanta to Florida before the race, and then from Cocoa Beach to Orlando for a week in the parks? I don't want to need a wheelchair in Disney. :crutches:

Nice! I'm in Atlanta but not doing the half, haha. Space Coast will be my first full. Maybe in the future I'll use it to do my own Dopey! I also really want the new series of medals so good timing for me to do my first when they start the new series. :D Any tips for keeping my legs fresh between the drive from Atlanta to Florida before the race, and then from Cocoa Beach to Orlando for a week in the parks? I don't want to need a wheelchair in Disney. :crutches:

First and foremost - stay well-hydrated.
Second - Compression sleeves if you need them.
For me, personally, I'm not going to do any swimming before the marathon. Afterwards - watch out!

This is my third year doing triple peach challenge so have to keep the trend up. It is a fun challenge to do.

Active recovery is one of the big ones. After the rcce (and especially next day) still try to get out and at least walk some. Just sitting around can be a bad thing. If driving, try to stop and take some breaks but cocoa beach to orlando isn't long so should be fine.

As poster above said, drink water. I also like wearing compression socks. Makes a huge difference.

My worse race travel situation was the inaugural weekend of light side - I did dopey, came to atl for 2 days and then flew to anaheim for light side weekend. getting off the plane in anaheim was not fun...lol. compression socks helped A LOT there.

I'm looking at the half on the off-chance I'm in Florida for Thanksgiving (holidays are gonna be ... well, a crapshoot this year I'm guessing).

Can anyone recommend the North vs. the South half course?

I'm looking at the half on the off-chance I'm in Florida for Thanksgiving (holidays are gonna be ... well, a crapshoot this year I'm guessing).

Can anyone recommend the North vs. the South half course?

This is the first year that the half is utilizing the north course. They used to have the half start going south and the marathon start 30 minutes later headed north.

I've only run the marathon but I'm partial to the north portion of the course. The Indian River (or is it a lagoon?) is on your right the first 6.5 miles as the sun is coming up - beautiful! I've run it three times and I have actually seen dolphins swimming (maybe not unique for the Floridians but AWESOME for this Buckeye) and Pelicans "dive-bombing" for their breakfast. It's amazing!

By the time I hit the south portion, it's further along in the day and the wildlife has died down....or maybe I haven't noticed since I'm 14 miles in and my general demeanor is not as wide-eyed and bushy-tailed at that point!

So - north course!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter