Space Coast Marathon & Disney

I'm looking at the half on the off-chance I'm in Florida for Thanksgiving (holidays are gonna be ... well, a crapshoot this year I'm guessing).

Can anyone recommend the North vs. the South half course?

The north course is the first half of the full. Flatter and quieter because there aren't as many runner or as many people cheering and handing out goodies. South will be more crowded since it has a more generous time limit, and there are more people cheering and providing runners with bourbon, beer, bacon, and other tasty treats. If you run the full with me, you get the best of both worlds. :)

I hear there's quite a bit of free alcohol on the course. At princess I started talking with a woman about space coast, and she said one of her friends does the marathon every year and if she isn't on pace to PR she starts accepting free shots from the spectators. Maximum she ever had during a race was 16. :eek:

The north course is the first half of the full. Flatter and quieter because there aren't as many runner or as many people cheering and handing out goodies. South will be more crowded since it has a more generous time limit, and there are more people cheering and providing runners with bourbon, beer, bacon, and other tasty treats. If you run the full with me, you get the best of both worlds. :)

I see what you’re trying to do here and it’s not going to work, pal.

That sounds amazing! Good to know that if it's looking like I'm going to DNF or die, I can just start drinking, lol.

I actually am interested in running this one, but finding the time to get to Florida multiple times during the year from the west coast is so expensive...haha

Signed up for the North Course Half the other day after hearing good things about this race and how well it is organized from some acquaintances. We'll probably go up to Disney Thanksgiving night after dinner and do a day at MK before heading over to Cocoa. Disney races have gotten old to me so I've taken a break the last few years and done local stuff, this seems like it may be a happy medium - a "destination" race with time for Disney, without some of the rD downsides.

Signed up for the North Course Half the other day after hearing good things about this race and how well it is organized from some acquaintances. We'll probably go up to Disney Thanksgiving night after dinner and do a day at MK before heading over to Cocoa. Disney races have gotten old to me so I've taken a break the last few years and done local stuff, this seems like it may be a happy medium - a "destination" race with time for Disney, without some of the rD downsides.
I did the Glass Slipper Challenge, and despite the fact that we ran through MK, I thought the course was insanely boring. It's just highway for like 12 out of 13.1 miles. I'm hoping this course (especially since it's double the distance) is more interesting! It's on the water so hopefully there's a breeze at least, haha.

My husband and I just signed up! This will be our first non-Disney race! The new Big Bang series of medals look awesome!
Does anyone know how the shirt sizing is compared?

Space Coast spectator provided food and drinks = AWESOME

CAUTION regarding road camber. Some sections of straight road there is camber for rain drainage and it can bite you. Think WDW entrance/exit ramps.

BREAKFAST = GOOD STUFF as is BEACH TOWEL and the MEDAL(S) = large/heavy

We also enjoy the Celebration Half/Full Marathon after WDW. p.s. -- WONDERFULLY COMFORTABLE blankie handed out this year.

Space Coast spectator provided food and drinks = AWESOME

CAUTION regarding road camber. Some sections of straight road there is camber for rain drainage and it can bite you. Think WDW entrance/exit ramps.

BREAKFAST = GOOD STUFF as is BEACH TOWEL and the MEDAL(S) = large/heavy

We also enjoy the Celebration Half/Full Marathon after WDW. p.s. -- WONDERFULLY COMFORTABLE blankie handed out this year.
That's the second time I've heard the roads mentioned. Is that for the whole course? Any tips for avoiding a twisted ankle?

That's the second time I've heard the roads mentioned. Is that for the whole course? Any tips for avoiding a twisted ankle?

Only intermittent sections and staying center road is best. If center is crowded then far right (carefully) flattens out some.

I did the full in 2015 and 2016 and the half in 2017,this is the first year theres an option to do the north or south in the half.I signed up for the north option as I remember it being a more picturesque course,someone said its less hilly and I could be wrong but I remember the north side as more hilly.I'm somewhat regretting not doing the south course as there is a whole lot more crowd support and yeah,alcohol stops,I definitely stopped for beer and even a bloody mary last year.I plan to do the races the next couple of years to get the new challenge medals,some of which are huge,like bigger than your face huge.I'll stick to just the half and choose the south side in 2019/2020,I think only the Disney full is the only full I can do year after year and not have it become a death march that I grow bored with and doesnt make the race feel like it goes on forever,having done the full at Space coast 2015-2016 is enough,its a gorgeous course but its basically not the same as going from park to park.Also the post race food is very good,the best however is the A1A marathon in Ft.Lauderdale.

Doing Space Coast marathon this year and we are staying in DVC at Kidani. I am the only one of the four of us doing the full, everyone else has abandoned me to do the half. I am really looking forward to doing this race for the first time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter