Space Mountain and Matterhorn

LCoulter

Whoah Mouse
I am WDW vet planning a trip to DL in April. I hate Space Mountain in WDW because it is too jerky and I can’t see the sudden turns because it’s too dark. I have tried it a few times and I just hate it. I don’t have any problems with any other WDW rides.

I am trying to decide if I should try DL’s Space Mountain and the Matterhorn. Are these rides as jerky as WDW Space Mountain?

I am WDW vet planning a trip to DL in April. I hate Space Mountain in WDW because it is too jerky and I can’t see the sudden turns because it’s too dark. I have tried it a few times and I just hate it. I don’t have any problems with any other WDW rides.

I am trying to decide if I should try DL’s Space Mountain and the Matterhorn. Are these rides as jerky as WDW Space Mountain?
Matterhorn is pretty similar to WDW space for jerkiness. Our Space is completely different from WDW and is relatively smooth, you also sit side by side and the vehicle seats 12 in 6 rows of 2.

I agree that Matterhorn & WDW space are pretty similar rides however I feel like Matterhorn may be a little less jerky if only because you can see the drops/turns. Disneyland space is very smooth and doesn't compare to the WDW version at all; I think its a much better ride here than in WDW.

Another vote that WDW Space Mountain and the Matterhorn are very similar in style. When I was planning my trip to WDW (with a broken collar bone) I had gone over which rides I could/could not do with my doctor. He had only ever been to Disneyland and said, Space at DL would be okay but to avoid the Matterhorn. Not realizing how different SM was at WDW I went ahead and rode it; boy was that painful.

One more vote for DL's Space Mountain being completely different to WDW's. I went to DL first (as an adult) and loved Space Mountain... then went to WDW and got a shock when Space Mountain there was such a rough ride!

I actively avoid WDW's Space Mountain now. But looking forward to going on DL's Space Mountain on my upcoming trip...

I agree that Matterhorn is a very jerky and bumpy ride; the ride itself is very rough. Space has a pretty smooth track, but it does have some sharp(ish) turns and sudden drops. It is similar to MK's SM in terms of darkness, which means it can be tough to see when a turn or drop is coming.

The Matterhorn THROWS you sideways then quickly THROWS you the other way. If you dislike WDW space you wil hate the Matterhorn. If I had to choose between the 2 evils, I would ride WDW space.

I think SM in Disneyland is less jerky than DW, maybe it's the different style seating.

Matterhorn is the worst ride ever. It's so jerky to the point of painful. I complete agree with the poster above me. Last time I worried my daughter would get jerked around too much, so I put my arms forward to just have a hand near her. Instead of standing by to help her, a sudden jerk caused me to go forward and bust my lip on her headrest in front of me, lesson learned, lol.

Everybody above is right, but I would still say you should try the Matterhorn once (unless you have health issues, especially back problems or a recent injury, of course). It is truly a weird, iconic ride.

Based on your description of MK Space, I expect once on the Matterhorn will be enough for you, but try it yourself!

Space Mountain was much smoother in DL, but Matterhorn was a "never, ever again" for me! SM at WDW is a once-per-trip for me.

Space Mountain at DLR is just a much better ride all around than at WDW. It's smoother, for sure. If getting a little roughed up isn't for you, forego the Matterhorn, which is my favorite Disney ride, but let's be real- it's old and rough.

Matterhorn is super jerky. We rode it several times, unfortunately, because my scaredy cat youngest loved it! It hurt!

DLR Space mountain is SO much better than wdw’s. I think it’s a combo of the seating and the music. I didn’t find it had as many drops as WDW.

In my opinion they are actually more jerky.
Space Mountain at DL has no sudden drops like WDW but it has sudden turns and literally I think they put speed bumps in there to give the illusion of a "thrill". I just think its obnoxious.
Matterhorn has very sharp turns and sudden drops and I left there with bruises.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to skip both of them but put DH and DD12 on Space Mountain while I sit and people watch. While Space Mountain seems to be smoother from responses, I just don't like that it's dark.

Don't skip them!

Space Mountain in Disneyland is not nearly as jerky as in WDW. The Matterhorn is jerky but it's not unbearable, and it's much less intense because you aren't in the dark and are sort of just going in loops.

Matterhorn is very jerky and I would always skip it because i would get such headache after riding. Then someone, I think a CM, showed me a way to brace myself using my arms and legs and it really helps! It’s actually one of my favorite rides now, especially with the newish effects.

Matterhorn is very jerky and I would always skip it because i would get such headache after riding. Then someone, I think a CM, showed me a way to brace myself using my arms and legs and it really helps! It’s actually one of my favorite rides now, especially with the newish effects.
I think we need a tutorial in this method. I like the Matterhorn, but it gives me a headache!

I think we need a tutorial in this method. I like the Matterhorn, but it gives me a headache!

Please explain how to brace yourself. I want tutorial too!

Yes, please explain what you do to brace yourself :) Going to DL for the first time in June 2019 and want to ride it, but want to avoid the bumps, jerks, headaches, etc...:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!