Space Mountain: Day vs. Night

PrincessArlena'sDad

DIS Veteran
To me, riding space mountain at night feels different, with a different vibe, which makes it more enjoyable. It's hard to explain how, it just feels different.

Everyone in my family thinks I'm nuts.

Anyone else feel this way, or at least know what I mean?

Space mountain is better at night because it's darker. During the day, some sunlight gets into the building

We like it at night because the line gets shorter. On our last visit, we rode it 4 times during the last 35 minutes of operation.

The last two trips did take a little running to make it. That’s a long way from the exit back to the entrance.

I agree. I don't think it really looks different but the overall vibe is better for some reason. Maybe it's the crowd that's riding it?

However, I rode Space Mountain recently with the lights partially on and dang it was scarier than ever. It was like it was still mainly in the dark but you could see that you were about to hit something.

IMO, all of MK has a different vibe after dark, and the later the better.
I've long felt, as the hours progress past 9pm, the percentage of first time guests goes down.

Personally, in the list of rides that are very different at night vs. day, I'd rank Haunted Mansion above Space Mtn, but Space Mtn certainly has a different vibe at night.

Other rides we feel the night vibe: (attitude beyond lighting differences ): BTMRR, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, IaSW, and very much at Gringotts (US). All of Diagon Alley feels different after dark; the impact in DA is more significant than it is in Hogsmeade. Though maybe that will change a little after the new ride opens.

I agree. I don't think it really looks different but the overall vibe is better for some reason. Maybe it's the crowd that's riding it?

However, I rode Space Mountain recently with the lights partially on and dang it was scarier than ever. It was like it was still mainly in the dark but you could see that you were about to hit something.

I rode it once with the lights on and it was TERRIFYING

Different vibe in MK, maybe. But the ride itself is 100% the same, IMO. It's an indoor attraction.

I remember being on the People Mover when the lights were on in the Space Mountain building, and wow, I was scared to just think about being on the ride. It's terrifying to see it in the light and see where all of the track is. At night you are blissfully unaware.

I strongly agree! SM is better experienced at night as your eyes are already adjusted to the nighttime darkness outside and hence you can see more inside the attraction. IMO overall I enjoy MKP much more at night than during the day, this is one of the main reasons why I never do RD and instead arrive later in the day and stay until close, I enjoy the parks better at night, there something truly special about the nighttime ambiance, lighting, and overall feel of the parks at night.

The vibe of Tomorrowland is better at night, but have never really noticed any difference riding SM day or night.

I feel the same way about Haunted Mansion. Makes no sense, but I still think it's different at night!

Could be that during the day your eyes aren't adjusted yet and everything looks darker inside. At night usually you can see a bit more of the track and areas around you due to it being dark outside

Ummm...unless you are running through the queue, your eyes have plenty of time to adjust for the darkness inside the building compared to bright daylight outside before you get on the ride.

I'm glad it's not just me! Interesting thoughts as to why.

Another thought I had, from reading the above posts: maybe the emotional/ subconscious reaction from Tomorrowland at night stays with you when you go inside space?

I'm going to try and make it a priority for PM emh on July 3. Or able to get a post fireworks fp for it.

Ummm...unless you are running through the queue, your eyes have plenty of time to adjust for the darkness inside the building compared to bright daylight outside before you get on the ride.
Actually it takes about 45 minutes for your eyes to adjust to the dark. Then, eyes get increased sensitivity to the dark over a period of a few hours. Thus night vision continues to improve over that entire span.

It takes longer than you think for your eyes to completely adjust, and if you have a FP+, it's not crazy to think you'd still be adjusting by the time it took to get to the front of the line.

It's the best at night, I think. Super serene to me.
In fact, I like most rides better at night. Even if they are completely indoors. Just walking in and out while its dark heightens the experience (like Pirates, or HM).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter