Space Shuttle Challenger disaster

Domo

Wotcha
Watched First Man over the weekend and although it won't go down with me as the best movie ever, it was certainly one of the most terrifying.

And it reminded me of the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster. Specifically, the awful news that when the shuttle disintegrated, the crew compartment survived - those poor astronauts were conscious for at least a little while.

It's an amazing thing to experience... and one of the most deadly.

They were most likely aware for just a few seconds (as noted by the report that some of the safety mechanisms had started to be engaged by the crew). The G-forces would have made them unconscious very quickly, though.

They were most likely aware for just a few seconds (as noted by the report that some of the safety mechanisms had started to be engaged by the crew). The G-forces would have made them unconscious very quickly, though.

Very sad. But at least they didn't suffer for long.

Also I think about the Payne Stewart plane crash how long did they know before they were unconscious

Also I think about the Payne Stewart plane crash how long did they know before they were unconscious

My mother was a big Payne Stewart fan (she did not play golf but for some reason she watched it on tv?). I remember that day so well...the plane flew for hours...

The Challenger happened a couple days after my 17th birthday. We all were watching the takeoff in school; it was so tragic and sad...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter