Spaceship Earth Timeline

GunnarCharles

Mouseketeer
Its been a while since I've checked in on the boards or read any Disney news so I might be late to the party.

I heard rumors several weeks ago that Spaceship Earth might be closing in 2019 for some significant changes. Wasn't sure if that was ever confirmed or what the tentative date was if so. We have a trip planned for December but I would seriously consider a weekend trip sooner in order to get to ride Spaceship Earth again if it truly is going down/changing.

I don’t believe anything has been confirmed. I would expect it to get a rehab at some point but maybe not this year with everything else going on. I’m sure people more in the know than I can elaborate further on this though

No Hint firm has been uncovered and still just a rumor. Seems like a pretty solid one that “some sort of rehab” will happen but it might be a shorter one or could be the full blown 2+ year version. Also a thought that all of EPCOT’s upgrades won’t be different me prior to WDW’s 50th so this could be pushed back

Sorry to not have anything more concrete

I know the re entry will get a nice redo!!! That comes from a reliable source...as for everything else..probably just a spruce up...track and all. I mean a really nice spruce up.

I know the re entry will get a nice redo!!! That comes from a reliable source...as for everything else..probably just a spruce up...track and all. I mean a really nice spruce up.

honestly, a real spruce up - fixing anything broken, maybe adding back in a few animatronics ... AND updating the end to be a bit more current (basically ends with the birth of the PC - can we get at least a scene with smartphones?) is all I think it needs

(he said as if that alone wouldn't require tens of millions of $ and months to do)

Per Martin at WDWMagic.com - SSE update is at least 2 years out. As far as he knows, but has not asked recently

probably makes sense, at the point, to not start it until after the WDW 50th ... I know EPCOT itself isn't 50 years old but when celebrating the 50th for all of WDW it would be a shame for one of the icons to be covered in scaffolding or not open, etc.

Per Martin at WDWMagic.com - SSE update is at least 2 years out. As far as he knows, but has not asked recently
yes, they will not do anything until the RAT and GOG open. Even then, they may push it off until some other items are completed in the Epcot redo.

yes, they will not do anything until the RAT and GOG open. Even then, they may push it off until some other items are completed in the Epcot redo.
I know the spine update is not tied to SSE, but do you know if the Spine update is still online for 50th for WDW? Or has this been pushed as well?

Does anybody else get extremely nervous when it comes to refurbs!o_O
I just love all the classics so much that every time I hear the word "refurbishment" I get so nervous! Hahah!
As you all have said, I am sure that Spaceship Earth will not go through any MAJOR changes to the ride itself so fingers crossed!
I know refurbishments aren't always bad but change is scary am I right?

I just love all the classics so much that every time I hear the word "refurbishment" I get so nervous! Hahah!
As you all have said, I am sure that Spaceship Earth will not go through any MAJOR changes to the ride itself so fingers crossed!

Well, there certainly cases of refurbs making rides worse *cough* journey into imagination *cough* so I get that ... and even if the upgrade is technically an improvement it can cause rides to lose some of their charm

But if the end result is what has been discussed here it seems like the spirit of the ride will be maintained - and it definitely is showing it's age (that projection of the Cavemen at the beginning is almost impossible to see at this point, etc) so at some point it will have to happen

I know the spine update is not tied to SSE, but do you know if the Spine update is still online for 50th for WDW? Or has this been pushed as well?
Not clear atm.

My opinion(not coming from any insider), its been pushed. If they were going to do it by the 50th they would have to start by the summer to have a chance to complete in time. There is a chance we get this at D23, but the timeline seems difficult. Then again, it would also depend on the scope of the Spine redo. This is one of those construction jobs they can hide until the very last minute, since they aren't developing new land...they don't need to file any water management permits. So theoretically they could pull a permit 1 day and erect walls the next. Just can't recall Disney ever doing that in past.

Spaceship Earth featuring Wall-E. Join Wall-E and friends as they fumble their way through history!

Not clear atm.

My opinion(not coming from any insider), its been pushed. If they were going to do it by the 50th they would have to start by the summer to have a chance to complete in time. There is a chance we get this at D23, but the timeline seems difficult. Then again, it would also depend on the scope of the Spine redo. This is one of those construction jobs they can hide until the very last minute, since they aren't developing new land...they don't need to file any water management permits. So theoretically they could pull a permit 1 day and erect walls the next. Just can't recall Disney ever doing that in past.

I could also see it in stages - so perhaps prior to the 50th the entrance way gets a refresh and maybe some other small updates, but the big overhaul would be after the 50th

They could do something like the leave a legacy stone removal in time for the 50th but the entire spine project won't be in time for the 50th if its still on.

I am just getting back to hanging out here and this is the first mention of this I have seen PLEASE let it be so..would love to see those stones removed. They are an eyesore. The idea as lovely, but images on them faded/degraded quickly and did not stand the test of time.

I think they will realise a statement during the 40th anniversary. Probably just update the storyline, audio-animatronics and the track as it’s been a long time since anything has been done to the attraction but that is true to the whole of EPCOT. Once Galaxy Edge is complete hopefully the focus will be on EPCOT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!