Spaceship Earth to close for 2+ years?

Martin has mentioned a few times that they are targeting the Epcot 40th instead of the MK 50th because they keep pushing things back. No way they get all of the non-announced things done in time for the 50th at this point.

Good point .. I mean we'd see construction walls around Innoventions already, right?
Shame the excitement of Guardians and Ratatouille will be lessened by massive construction walls entering the park.

They don't have to name a source. They do have sources though. Are those sources correct? We shall see.
You’re absolutely right, poor phrasing on my part. I mean they cited rumors, but not an source, anonymous or otherwise

I'm all for this if it pans out to be truthful... The ride needs updated but I would hate to see it completely lose all of its history.

That's a long refurb! I am all for giving SSE some updates, but that's too long to be without it. I suppose if they have good reason, but I really don't want them to change too much. Some of the scenes as we approach modern day could stand a refresh, and I like the top of the dome idea as well. The thing that needs to be changed the most is the little cartoon video and the exit area. A lot of the ride really is just fine as it is.

i love this ride, with that said i am looking forward to all the updates. The ride is great, and i hope they don't completely change key things. But there also has been so much advancement in technology in the last 4 years that it needs to be reflected in this ride. imagine the possibilities of new items in the ride. Things to happen, inventions that took place, movements, breakthroughs. it really is unfortunate that it will be down for that long, not to mention i wish it was ready for 2021 when almost all the construction throughout Disney will be don for the 50th. Which has me thinking that the 50th celebration will last almost a full 2 years. Maybe it will be done a little sooner than the projected timeline. Only time and information will tell. Between the ride track, the interior and sheer size of the attraction its exciting.

Oh no this is my "I've come home" ride. It will be missed! I wonder who they will have narrate it this time around. I'm glad they are keeping the theme of the ride and focusing on revamping the second half of the ride though. After the 70's portion the ride became very meh. I remember when they had all the futuristic predictions towards the tailend and then they replace that with hanging christmas lights..like i said meh.

We love this ride and it's been as must do for years. While we do enjoy it, we also feel it could use a little updating. If they are really changing the load and unload areas, redoing the track and changing the building at the end, I could see it taking some time, but not 2.5 years. Glad we have a trip planned for next September so we can ride it one last time before they take it down.

So pretty much, once SWGE is done, Epcot is likely going to go into full construction mode. Hopefully, the new rides will offset some of the losses.

In the last decade has anyone ridden SSE from beginning to end without the ride stopping at least once? Usually 2-3 times for us. The entire ride system needs a major refurb, and it sounds like they are looking at changing it out to something better. 2 years may sound like a lot, but it seems they are also changing the exit building and the load/unload queue. All that requires the layout to be adjusted as well, and this is Disney we are talking about....2.5 years might not be long enough.

In the last decade has anyone ridden SSE from beginning to end without the ride stopping at least once? Usually 2-3 times for us. The entire ride system needs a major refurb, and it sounds like they are looking at changing it out to something better. 2 years may sound like a lot, but it seems they are also changing the exit building and the load/unload queue. All that requires the layout to be adjusted as well, and this is Disney we are talking about....2.5 years might not be long enough.

It likely doesn't stop because of a mechanical issue, at least not if it starts back up again in a minute or two. This most likely happens to load guests who need extra time. The mechanism is getting a bit loud and rough though.

It's hard to ride any omnimover at WDW these days without them stopping for guest loading and unloading. I'm not sure it is so much the ride systems as our increasingly aging and in need of assistance population.

I'd say it usually stops maybe 10% of the time whenever I'm on it, and probably ridden it 100 times in the past decade. But I have had to be evacuated from it before. And usually those stops are quick, from what I'll assume is somebody needing a little longer to load or unload. Usually it going down takes more than a few seconds to get going again.

I agree with the other posters-the type of ride may mean ride stops not related to mechanical issues.

We actually had a small wait for Spaceship Earth last year. The ride was a walk on but it took a while for us to load...my husband who is tall was able to look around and see a person needing a lot of assistance to get out of the ride.

Haunted Mansion is another one that doesn't necessarily have mechanical issues but causes starts and stops due to loading and unloading--seems to be I get stuck when you're going backwards or the graveyard scene for me.

I do think it's easy to say "mechanical issues" everytime a ride stops, every time there's a delay in loading and unloading but it's not always really that. Sometimes it's a sensor that goes off with it sometimes being a guest themselves who set off that sensor. Sometimes it's getting people in or out of a ride, etc.

Well, I am actually very sad about this. I love Spaceship Earth, even in it's messed up state. It is me at 10 years old.

I feel awful that the last time I ever got to see it in it's original form was my trip last October. I would have went on it more than once, to say goodbye! :(

Last edited:
Well, I am actually very sad about this. I love Spaceship Earth, even in it's messed up state. It is me at 10 years old.

I feel awful that the last time I ever got to see it in this state was my trip last October. I would have went on it more than once, to say goodbye! :(

I can sympathize. Our last trip, December of 2016, I got bullied (joking) by wife out of going on Universe of Energy and TGMR. She thought they were both outdated and boring. For me, they were nostalgic enjoyment. I did win on Carousel of Progress, but given what happened shortly after, I'm always a bit sad I didn't get on those two one more time. Neither of us cared one lick about Stitch at least...

I just want to add that Martin says this has some legs but there are several plans for Epcot and this is just one of the possibilities.
Want to add to this...
Per Martin at WDWMagic.com -
He has heard of this as a possibility, but in previous information he had, it was not tied to Gamma(the reboot of the spine and such...) it was a seperate project. He also expected it to take longer, and not open by the 40th aniversary.

He also thought this was pushed back more, and wonders if there isn't a more pressing need the elevated it...but he is NOT confirming this is locked and going yet.

He also stated as @rteetz stated, that there are more than one option still for spine and for SSE renewal, but his expectations are this is a renew, not total replacement for rollercoaster or such

Will add also, he is not surprised on length of renewal time needed, as there is no good way to get equipment to SSE while park is open and do refurb due to not alot of space, and the ride vehicles are extremely difficult to get out, and takes a great deal of time to do that work

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter