Speaking of Jobs after College

I have to admit, when I graduated college, I was afraid of the next step. I mean come on, my whole world had been school for the last 17 years, it was scary to think about getting a real job and taking care of myself.

My DD is graduating in May and because of how stressful it was for me, I'm not putting any pressure on her about finding a job. Although, I will admit I'm worried about it for her.

I'm trying my darnedest to keep my trap shut. She'll be fine, and I don't want her to feel pressured into taking any old job. I want her to find something that she is truly happy getting up and doing 8 to 5 everyday.

I know its hard OP, and I totally get where you are coming from, but we have to let our little birds fly and figure out their own lives. Making mistakes makes you smarter, remember that!

Sat down with DD tonight and she is researching other options. She got excited about the Disney internship and went online to look more.

I told her both sides of what you’ve all said about AmeriCorps. She was surprised by it.

I’m happy now. She can decide what she wants to do now that she can see the big picture of options.

Thank you all for your comments and advice!

My oldest is a teacher, and she HATES Americorps with the burning passion of a thousand fiery suns. Not only does she consider it useless, she feels it is insulting to actual, real teachers, to think that you can come in after a few weeks' training, and do the job that teachers have trained years for. Worse, Americorps volunteers go to the worst performing schools in the country--just the students that need quality teachers instead of thinly-disguised babysitters.

If your DD is truly passionate about wanting to teach, she should look into becoming an art teacher, and taking the coursework for that. Secondary Ed. teachers double major (their specialty plus education). If she's not passionate about teaching, then, um, the classroom might not be the best fit for her.

Just to show you my DD's level of passion, she double majored (elementary ed. and bilingual ed.) and teaches English Language Learners in a high-needs district. She won't be getting rich or famous any time soon, but it's truly a calling for her, and she was born to be a teacher.

I taught in a high poverty inner city district that highly utilized Americorps students. They brought them in with very little experience and education in elementary/secondary education, paid them little, and burned them out. The "teachers" were practically bound to the district as other, better districts in the state wouldn't recognize their experience or "degree". Those of us who put in the time and effort to receive a bachelors or masters degree in education along traditional pathways tended to resent Americorps students. They contributed to lower wages and frequent teacher turn over. But it was certainly one way to get teachers placed in an inner city district.

I did participate in Americorps while in grad school, but as a way to capitalize on the job that I had working for the student engagement office on campus. For the year that I was on the job it provided me with a nice scholarship.

If your daughter is set on doing Americorps I would look into WHY she wants to do it and her perceptions of how it will assist her post her time with them. What is is that she will or wants to be doing/learning? And will she be able to realistically take the experience with her?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!