special dinner with toddlers (suggestions)

pixie71

Earning My Ears
Hello,

We are visiting WDW in early February (siser 25, son 2 and neice 3) Can anyone suggest a nice place for dinner that ISN'T a character dinner (we have a PS for Chef Mickey's already for breakfast.) We are staying at the All-Stars Movies and will not have a car.

Thanks.

What type of budget do you have?

A few ideas for you...

The Concourse Steakhouse ofers some wonderful meals in an infomral atmosphere. Service is efficient and friendly.

Cape May Cafe is all you care to eat seafood in a casual atmosphere.

Cinderellas Royal Table has some decent dinners. Although you might run into Cinderella in the lobby, this is NOT a character meal. The atmosphere makes it seem very elegant and special, although it's casual and caters to children.

Mama Melroses at MGM, again casaual and excellent food.

Kona Cafe, a nice resort choice, great food, casual atmosphere.

Spoodles, again great food in a casual atmosphere.

Spoodles and the Cape May are probably the hardest ones to get to without a car. A cab from either to the AS will run you around $10.

Enjoy!

Anne

Having done many a meal at Disney with toddlers (I have a 7 year old and a 2 year old), it is hard to say where you will be able to get their attention at mid-range prices without the beloved characters. We enjoyed the Plaza restaurant at MK. The food was good and our waitstaff was really attentive. We have also enjoyed the Sci-Fi Dine In at MGM. The movie tends to be distracting for them but this also limits conversation. If you like German food, the Biergarten at Epcot is fun and the kids are encouraged to dance so this keeps their attention. Whispering Canyons at Wilderness Lodge has great food and a fun atmosphere. Since the buses will take you everywhere, there is also the option of the Rain Forest Cafe at either DownTown Disney or Animal Kingdom. My kids also generally enjoy anything with a buffet since that allows them to make their own choices and they don't have to wait for service.

We tend to do two character meals, a couple of counter-service and then other places where we can just enjoy each other's company. My DH always thinks that our kids are out of control but I have had a lot of strangers comment to me on how well-behaved they are. (I never fail to point this out to him either.) If there is any place in particular that you have questions about, I would be happy to help. Happy planning!

I'd echo the previous suggestion of Biergarten if you want something kind of nice for adults that will be tolerable for children.

We went last year -- there were 7 adults and 3 children; two were 6 years old and one was almost 8 years old. Biergarten is a buffet, and even though the kids were picky eaters, each found a few things they would eat from the buffet, and of course, we all enjoyed the desserts.

And, during the dinner show (much to my surprise, because my kid is pretty reserved), all 3 kids went down and danced, which like the OP said, kept them occupied. We were seated in a place where they were in full view, so we could continue to visit while keeping an eye on them.

And, right after, we walked right out and caught Illuminations. It was a great experience for all of us.

Enjoy your trip!:D

Hello,

Thanks ducklite, turnlisa & shells9. I was planning on having the dinner on a non-park day (that's the same day we are attending the character breakfast.) My sister and I were thinking about either Jiko, Boma or the Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney. My son can be pretty out of control at restaurants (I usually order our food and take him for a walk until it arrives) so I am a little worried about his behavior - I really could do without those stares while on vacation :eek:

I really don't have a budget (we usually share a meal & dessert)
Anyway, based on that information what would anyone suggest.

Thanks again.
We are off to Disney in 3 weeks...

Since you don't really have a budget and want to do something on a non-park day, RainForest Cafe is a good idea. I haven't done either Jiko or Boma. I have done Ohana at the Polynesian. This is fun for the kids since there are activities for them. Also, if your child acts up here it is not really noticed in all of the other excitement. The food was o.k. We weren't really impressed with the quality but the atmosphere of the place made up for it. Whispering Canyons is also off-site and it is pretty fast paced with things for the kids to do. The food is pretty good. To get there you could take a bus to any of the parks and then hop a bus to the Wilderness Lodge. There may be a better suggestion for this since usually I have a car.

We have also done Cape May at the Beach Club. This is a buffet and the food is excellent. If there is anything else I can suggest or help you with, please let me know!

Based on your three choices. My suggestion would be Rainforest at DTD. The place is on the loud side so most acting up won't be a problem. Taking your son for a walk here is no big deal there are fish tanks to look at plenty of gorillas and elephants and the gift shop is attached. I was just there with my DD 5 and DS 11 mos. With DS we must go to restaurants with action to keep him entertained until the food arrives.

I have not been to either Jiko or Boma as I'm a little leary of taking DS to those.

As an earlier poster suggested, Whispering Canyon was another good option for us. Lots of stuff goes on here to keep the little ones entertained. While waiting there is a play area with lincoln logs that might be helpful. Also stick pony races. And most of the men do get picked on. DD thought it was funny that daddy had to wear a napkin on his head.

We had two 3-year-olds in our group of nine for dinner at 'Ohana in November. We happen to love the food there (we had a 5PM PS and were seated just after opening). The kids loved it as much as the adults. As another poster mentioned, their "exuberance" went unnoticed in the fun atmosphere. This was the one meal where the kids were very content to stay in their seats and explore all the wonderful appetizers in the lazy susan. Therefore, the parents were really able to relax (I'm not a parent, just reporting what they told me!)

When it was time for coconut races, they had a blast.

I would definitely take my nephew there again.

Barbe

The dinner at O'hana's is family style. They bring the buffet to you and replenish what you want so you don't have to keep getting up with the kids.
They have games through the time there for children. HUla hooping, coconut broom ball, and hula dancing. Plus depending on he time, you can catch the fireworks from there as well.
BONUS... it is on the monorail system!

We took our first trip as a family (hubby, DD who was 2 and a 1/2, and myself) this past September. The best non-character dinner we had was at Boma. We had gotten turned around trying to get to another restaurant and I spotted the sign for the hotel and said that Boma was there and we could look at the animals while we waited. We had about a 2 minute wait time (even without PS), the hostess provided coloring pages and crayons along with a little African style paper necklace, and made sure to point out where to go to see the animals. Our waiter made sure to talk with our DD and point things out to her as well. He cut short his "spiel" about the restaurant that they give to "newbies" saying he understood how it was to dine with young children--they were usually hungry and wanted to get right to it without any preamble. He was very attentive and made some little animals out of paper for her to play with when she got a little fussy (our mistake was to go when she hadn't had a nap yet mid-day because she was too keyed up to sleep!). Being able to go out and look in the neat gift shop and look at the animals were a big plus. And the food was wonderful. Our DD isn't picky where food is concerned--she was willing to try anything at least once. We are going on an all-girls trip with Grandma this month and we want to try 'Ohana--have heard many good things about it.

I have heard some really positive things/reviews about BOMA from other sites as well and I think we are going to give Boma a try. I think the idea of him being able to get up and get his own food may make him less ansy and everyone suggested a visit to the savannahs as well as the nightly story telling.

I will just try and make sure he is well rested before dinner:)
Does anyone have other suggestions for a first night meal (we are arriving too late to attend the parks) my sister was thinking about Fulton's has anyone ever been more importantly with kids?? Is there a dress code??

Thanks again.

I have been to Fulton's with kids. At the time my DS was 3 and he seemed to enjoy the food. There is no dress code but be warned that it is more upscale (linen napkins, waiters waiting to assist your every need). If your child is antsy, this may not be the place for you. My DS is really well behaved in restaurants so not something I had to worry about. There is another seafood place at DownTown Disney. I think it is called Captain Jack's. The atmosphere is a little more laid back and the food is good. This might be one alternative...

I think the idea of him being able to get up and get his own food may make him less ansy and everyone suggested a visit to the savannahs as well as the nightly story telling.

Did you mean pick their own food?a 2 yr and 3 yr old wouldn't be able to get their own food, and IMHO kids that small usually gets trampled at any buffett, not to mention one that will likely have older very excited kids running around. AS much as I love Boma, I'd probably pick something where I didn't have to go up to a buffet.

My 1st choice would be Ohana's, second would be Rainforrest Cafe (I like the at AK better)

Correct - get their food...my son is very independent and he tries to pour his own juice in the morning:D So I thought that would be cool for him to actually get his own food (with my assistance of course) I've heard nice things about O'hana's too.

I thought one nice meal on the first night and one nice meal on our non-park day...by the way here's our itinerary how does it look

Sunday - arrive (dinner??)
Monday - MK
Tuesday - Chef Mickey's breakfast, downtown Disney, dinner??
Wednesday- AK
Thursday - depart

Thanks for the suggestions

We will be down in Disney the end of Feb. and I am planning on taking our 18 month old to Rainforest cafe. Mainly becasue of all the things to see to keep him occupied!! I was also thinking House of Blues, but some people said it was kind of loud at dinner time. We are doing a few character meals as well to keep him entertained. It can be hell sometimes when they are bored and want to get down and run around!!

I haven't been to the places you are considering but I wanted to let you in on 2 places we ate with our toddlers last week. We have 3 1/2 year old and 21 month old sons. We had dinner one night at the Cape May buffet and the kids LOVED it. It helps that shrimp is my 3 year old's favorite food but even our 21 month old loved it. We joked that he ate so much that Disney may revise their policy about kids under 3 eating free at buffets! Buffets work well for us because they don't have to wait for their food, it's there immediately. They even have a kids buffet section where the counter is at kid level so they can pick their own pizza or chicken fingers or whatever. We planned our PS to be for 15 minutes after Illuminations started. We watched the fireworks from Illuminations from the beach (the Yacht Club beach or across the way at the Boardwalk would have a little better view but it was still good at the Beach Club beach). The boys loved playing in the sand while we watched the fireworks. It worked out perfectly! We had just enough time to go in and wash our hands before our table was ready.

Another great choice for us was the Whispering Canyon cafe. Our 3 year old participated in the "critter calls" show and got a Magical Moments certificate for it. He also loved doing the hobby horse race around the restaurant (those sticks with horse heads on them). The younger one liked that this was not a place where he was "shushed" during dinner. Being boistrous was welcommed here!

Both of these places are at resorts. Cape May is at the Beach Club and Whispering Canyon is at the Wilderness Lodge. To get to the Beach Club you could take a bus to MGM and either walk or take the boat to the beach club. To get to the Wilderness Lodge, you could take a bus to the MK and the boat to the WL. Another option for both is a bus to a park and another bus to the resort.

Hope you have a great trip!!!!

Originally posted by pixie71
Hello,

Thanks ducklite, turnlisa & shells9. I was planning on having the dinner on a non-park day (that's the same day we are attending the character breakfast.) My sister and I were thinking about either Jiko, Boma or the Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney. My son can be pretty out of control at restaurants (I usually order our food and take him for a walk until it arrives) so I am a little worried about his behavior - I really could do without those stares while on vacation :eek:

I really don't have a budget (we usually share a meal & dessert)
Anyway, based on that information what would anyone suggest.

Thanks again.
We are off to Disney in 3 weeks...

We tried Jiko with two toddlers a few months back, and won't make that mistake again. The kids didn't like having to sit still for taht long (and we were there when they opened and ate QUICK! and we were wrecks trying to keep them quiet as to not disturb others.

Boma or the rainforest would be better choices IMHO.

Anne

Originally posted by pixie71
my sister was thinking about Fulton's has anyone ever been more importantly with kids?? Is there a dress code??

Thanks again.

It's VERY expensive. No dress code although we prefer to dress business casual for most of the more upscale restaurants, and dining there is not a quick meal.

I don't think I'd put that on my short list with a toddler.

We just ate at Spoodles the other night, the food was fantastic, service was VERY fast we told the server we were in a bit of a rush and were in and out in about 40 minutes!!

Anne

Well, when we took our DS to Disney when he was young, our favorite noncharacter meals with him were sit down restaurants. They tend to be a bit quieter. Plus, I liked not having to get up and down to get everyone's food. IMHO, the sit down restaurants have better food than the buffets. Remember that Disney's portions are large, so depending on the kids appetite, you could always share.

That said, we liked the Rose and Crown at Epcot. My DS and I shared a chicken dish that had green beans and I believe a potato side dish. It's hard to find a kid dish without french fries at Disney, so I liked sharing. We had a great table lagoon side to watch Illuminations.

We like Mama Melrose at MGM. It's much quieter and the food is very good. My DS enjoyed watching them make pizzas until our table was ready. They have good kid friendy food such as pizza, etc.

At the Magic Kingdom, I guess outside of a character meal, we really like Pecos Bills for counter service. They have a really good chicken wrap. They have kid friendly hot dogs and mickey cookies. Plus you could share your fries with the little ones.

At Animal Kingdom, I like Tusker House. You could easily get a meal here and split it with the little ones.

I will also say that when my sister in law got sick, and we had to take my DS with us at the last minute to my Birthday dinner at Narcoosses (?sp), they were really great with my DS. He was 4 at the time. They brought his drink with a little umbrella, had a good children's menu (tho. expensive) and had a special dessert made for him. Plus, we saw the fireworks from the MK from our table. It worked out very well (however, it is expensive).

Most importantly. All Disney restaurants will let you split your meals with you kids. You can always order more food if you need it. Also, don't be afraid to ask for half portion of fries/half portion of some veggie with the kids entries (at sit down restaurants). Disney was very accomodating when I made this request.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter