Special experience for 14 year old girl birthday?

twodogs

DIS Veteran
We are heading to DLR soon to both celebrate DD’s 14th birthday and see SWGE. It is a super short trip, arriving late Friday night and leaving Sunday late afternoon. We will only be in the parks Saturday and part of Sunday. We are fortunate to have SWGE reservations two times on Saturday (11am-3pm as a free reservation, and then 8pm - midnight as a hotel-linked reservation). That is great but it prevents us from doing the WOC Dessert Party, which is something my DD wanted to do for her birthday (which is actually on that Saturday). We are trying to think of something similar or special that we can do for her birthday that doesn’t happen at the time of our SWGE reservations. That is difficult since Saturday is the only night we will be there. Any ideas, fellow DISers??

She is too old to do character meals and that type of thing. She really liked the dessert parties we have been to in the past, but I can’t see anything available when we can do it. We could do an in-room celebration, I think, with a cake?

Any other ideas, in the parks or otherwise? Anyone done an in-room celebration and what was it like? We won’t have much time on Friday night as we don’t arrive until 8pm at SNA, then have to get to the GCH.

Thank you for any suggestions on making this a special day for her (can also do something on Sunday)!!

Do they still offer the Afternoon Tea at Steak House 55? That might be something she would enjoy.
I see that they do offer it. I am looking into the menu. Not sure if she will think it is too “old lady” for 14 years old! I will check it out!!

I would see if you can get the hotel SWGE reservation changed to Sunday and do the WOC dessert party like she wants for her birthday

I would see if you can get the hotel SWGE reservation changed to Sunday and do the WOC dessert party like she wants for her birthday
I definitely agree with you and tried to move it to Sunday several weeks ago, and they said Sunday was completely booked for SWGE and we could not move it. I guess I could try again to see if people canceled their hotel rooms or something, but I think Sunday is a no-go. That would have been ideal for sure!

I just googled and found this:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/birthdays/
But I would think if you are staying at the grand, you could call the concierge ahead of time for help with something like this? It’s worth a try! Looks like they need at least three days in advance for it.

Otherwise maybe you could go get her special treats at the restaurants/candy shops and make your own dessert party at a time that works for you guys? Or even get her one of those crazy shakes at the new restaurant in DTD, black tap.

I would check with the hotel again to see if they can move your SWGE reservation to Sunday. People do cancel so there’s always a chance.
Early dinner at Black Tap is a good idea too. I bet she’d love one off those crazy shakes! You could then take the Monorail back to Tomorrowland to check in for your evening SWGE reservation.

My daughter is ten and we did the Afternoon Tea at Steakhouse 55. She absolutely loved it! I think it would be a great birthday treat. The food is fun and festive and it feels very special. My daughter felt very sophisticated and has asked to go back. While we weren't celebrating a birthday, I'm guessing that they would probably do something if you mentioned it with the reservation.

@twodogs If it helps, I’m at the park now and will get her a birthday button with her name on it. Let me through DM. I’ll also be back on Weds and next Sunday. :-) I’ll send park maps, too.

My daughter is ten and we did the Afternoon Tea at Steakhouse 55. She absolutely loved it! I think it would be a great birthday treat. The food is fun and festive and it feels very special. My daughter felt very sophisticated and has asked to go back. While we weren't celebrating a birthday, I'm guessing that they would probably do something if you mentioned it with the reservation.
Well darn! I wish it weren’t all booked up, but we leave soon so that is not a surprise I guess. I will keep looking for a cancellation and I am also looking into Black Tap (does it need reservations? I am checking)

Has anybody tried Salt and Straw? That also looked good from the outside but I have not been in there.

Checked and Black Tap is line only, no reservations that I can see.

Has anybody tried Salt and Straw? That also looked good from the outside but I have not been in there.

The Black Tap line yesterday was cah-ray-zee. This was around 5:00. It was worse at 8.

Salt and Straw is good but the flavors can be a little out there if she isn’t adventurous. It’s also just and ice cream shop and doesn’t have anywhere to sit down or anything though you can always enjoy it while walking around DTD.

For Black Tap you order at the counter and then find a table and they bring the food to you (hence no reservations). The shakes look super fun but this type of dining experience may not be quite what you have in mind for a special celebration.

Keep checking tea and the dessert party. Cancellations do happen. But I get that would mean moving SWGE too. For WoC you could try the 5-9pm SWGE slot and then head over to DCA.

I will have to see what they can do , if anything with the SWGE hotel linked reservation. Gosh, Disney, I am trying to give you money but I can’t figure out how!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter