Special needs and restaurant accommodations

aleighjc

Earning My Ears
My youngest is four and sensitive to sounds, mostly noisy places. I'm trying to figure out if there are any restaurants at universal (both parks) and at the boardwalk that would be fun/yummy and not super loud.

I plan to try to stagger our meals so they're during the less busy times, but I realize every place is probably busy, all the time. Going at the end of May if the dates matter.

There really isn't a place I`d consider quiet anywhere in the parks and Citywalk.

Thunder Falls terrace in IOA has no music or atmosphere, but it does get noisy with the style of the building.....but it`s reasonably quiet when it first opens.

Lombards in the Studios is reasonably quieter, but when it`s busy it can still be loud depending on who is around you.

Monster Café has seating through the back that doesn't always have folks in it, food there isn't great though.

Ben & Jerry`s is very rarely busy, but that`s only ice cream....

Headphones or earbuds is an excellent suggestion......I assume you are aware the parks themselves are fairly noisy, some areas louder than others.

Can`t help with the Boardwalk as we don't visit Disney.

I would avoid Hard Rock Cafe and Margaritaville since they tend to be extra loud.

Cowfish upstairs is pretty quiet and your child might find some interesting things on their menu. There really aren't any restaurants that I think a 4 year old would consider to be "fun" as in kid themed.

Our oldest has some of the same issues, and now that he is college age, we've discovered that the right kind of earbuds can make a difference. We are getting these https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_s...plugs&sprefix=earga,aps,158&crid=YO21NA1422VA for him so that he can attend a concert without having his fingers in his ears the whole time (I am sure the people around us wonder every time we take him to a concert). I realize the premium eargasm brand are pricey for a 4 yo, but I have seen similar "hi fi", noise cancelling earplugs at CVS in the $14-20 range. For that age, I would definitely look for the type that have the connector string, to make it harder for them to fall out unnoticed.

Disney and Universal are loud and overwhelming. QuietER doesn’t mean quiet.

Headphones or earbuds will be the lifesavers. He will not be the only one wearing them. *I* bring earbuds for the parks just in case, and I have diagnosed hearing loss!

Last edited:
We have the same thing with our son. It was quite challenging... adding the atmosphere it was worse. He was ok at three broomsticks we asked to sit on the side away from The main area.
The bigger restaurants are easier.
Other than that we took food to go and found places along the way. The diners and such were too small for us to getaway.

Headphones or earbuds will be the lifesavers. He will not be the only one wearing them. *I* bring earbuds for the parks just in case, and I have a hearing loss!

That`s so true.....

I think the whole place is a sensory overload at times...…must be very overwhelming for a child with issues like that......

Never been in a quiet restaurant there ever...….never mind the parks.

Thanks for the few suggestions... I wouldn't say it's at the point where we would try headphones or earbuds yet. She has no actual diagnosis or anything. Hoping it's just an age thing. I think it's a bit about being scared to when they are so themey too. Trexcafe/rainforest cafe for example would be a def no go.

Thanks for the few suggestions... I wouldn't say it's at the point where we would try headphones or earbuds yet. She has no actual diagnosis or anything. Hoping it's just an age thing. I think it's a bit about being scared to when they are so themey too. Trexcafe/rainforest cafe for example would be a def no go.

Our son is autistic with sensory issues. We usually eat when restaurants first open. Blondes is only sandwiches but was very quiet. At Disney dolphin we ate at Fresh. Great breakfast and very quiet

Not special needs, but loud noise hurt my son's ears when he was young (toddler up to 6/7) mainly sporting events, fireworks, etc. Always carried a pair of kids hearing protection headphones in the backpack, any time it got too loud for him just got them out. Made him much more comfortable. Kids hearing is sensitive when they are young, very normal.

Our son is autistic with sensory issues. We usually eat when restaurants first open. Blondes is only sandwiches but was very quiet. At Disney dolphin we ate at Fresh. Great breakfast and very quiet

Blondies is usually on the quieter side...…

I always forget about that place, as we usually pass it too early to have lunch there...….

I would recommend a huge restaurant and go when it first opens. That way if it's a sit down place, you may tell them of your situation and ask to be sit typically away where they'd normally start seating people. Or if it's a place like, Simpsons Fast Food Blvd, you can just go when it opens and kind of sit in a corner somewhere and if too many come near you and make too much noise, you can simply move somewhere else, or leave and still be able to bring your food with you. I've eaten there first thing and it's relatively quiet, there's no loud music and where you get your food (which would be the only place to have activity when it first opens) is away from the dining area.

Typically places open around 10:30am, or 11am, for lunch, you'll have to look up the opening times. Normally it's relatively quiet and not too many people are in within the first half hour to hour. I normally like to eat those times, not only less of a wait time, but I feel uncomfortable and depending on how many people can feel anxiety with being surrounded, which can happen in some quick service places, like Mel's Diner for example. Also, I like things on the more quiet side.

I haven't been to Mytho's in ages, so I might be wrong now, but that place was pretty quiet.

Blondies is usually on the quieter side...…

I always forget about that place, as we usually pass it too early to have lunch there...….

It’s a must do every time for my husband. He loves a good sandwich and he says the dogwood is one of the best. It usually opens at 11:00.

We had spaghetti and meatballs in the Comic Strip Cafe and it was quiet. Not many customers at the time we went.

Headphones or earbuds will be the lifesavers. He will not be the only one wearing them. *I* bring earbuds for the parks just in case, and I have diagnosed hearing loss!

I wish I had my Bose noise cancelling earbuds at Blue Man Group last week. It was extremely loud! They are great on airplanes.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, Mythos is fairly quiet. Perhaps, my definition of quiet is not the same though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!