Speedway - solo adult?

Pdollar88

DIS Veteran
I continue to have this question about specific attractions or dining events, so apologies. I guess I'm a bit nervous as a solo traveler in the lead-up to actually being there.

I haven't been on Speedway since I was a kid - how is it as an adult? Would it be strange for a solo adult to ride? I'm also a bit unsure - is there a height maximum? Not that I'm particularly tall.

You will be fine doing anything st Disney solo. I go solo around 20 days a year and have done most everything solo

Some people might think you are strange... but who cares? Lol.
I am such a theme park nerd, that if I am near one on a work trip, I'll go by myself! I don't care!
It's the most affordable trip you'll ever take.

It's not particularly thrilling, but not everything needs to be thrilling. We are two adults with no kids and do it at least once every trip, each of us in our own car and nobody looks at us weird or anything.

I don't think it would be weird, but I do think that it's an attraction that loses a lot of its appeal once you're old enough to have a real driver's license. Worth it if it fits easily into your schedule, but not necessarily worth making a priority. No worries about size. It's not just for kids--regardless of whether adults on their own choose to ride, tons of adults ride it every day with their kids.

I highly doubt anyone would even notice you being a solo adult rider on the Speedway, Dumbo, or anything "old school." These rides are built on nostalgia. I'm having a hard time thinking of anything you should feel self-conscious about in the MK...you might feel a little silly by yourself playing in Casey Jr. Splash 'N' Soak Station? But if it's a hot day, no one would blame you.

But... prepare to be underwhelmed with Tomorrowland Speedway (I am, however, a big fan of Autopia at Disneyland).

I did it for nostalgia. Didn't think twice. No one but the cast member at the loading point even knows you're solo.

I'm not self- conscious being solo.

Lots of adults end up riding solo, especially if you are part of an odd-numbered party.

I got behind an excessively slow person when I rode (not that it's fast anyway) and didn't enjoy it much. FWIW my 9-year-old was bored by it on our trip together. He has driven much faster go-karts before.

I sure loved it as a child, though.

I also hadn't been on since a kid and tried the other year. No problem riding as solo adult. A few others were doing the same. Possibly more solo adults now more than ever as some vloggers like to see if they can get a different vantage point of Tron construction. However, it is a bit of a rough and jerky ride and the steering wheel jumps so not sure how camera work, even an action cam, would work out. No worries. Just go and relive your childhood. :-)

I haven't been on Speedway since I was a kid - how is it as an adult? Would it be strange for a solo adult to ride? I'm also a bit unsure - is there a height maximum? Not that I'm particularly tall.
It's fun as an adult. It isn't strange for a solo adult to ride. I ride it every trip.

My first trip to WDW was in 1974 and I've been many times since. Each time I was at MK I'd pass by the Speedway but never rode as there was always a long line, and to be honest not a great desire on my part. However, last year when my wife and I were walking by at the end of the evening (and after a light rain) we saw it almost empty. OK it was time to check it off the list. A few notes here:
  • My wife and I rode in separate cars, and yet with so few people on the ride no one noticed either of us as a single adult
  • Even if you have an 'open road' ahead of you, it's gruelingly slow. Put a slow poke in front of you and it's even worse
  • The gas pedal is in the center of the car. It took me a bit to find it, making me one of those slow pokes
Enjoy :car:

I haven't done Speedway (or, more precisely, Disneyland's Autopia) since I got my driver's license. Maybe it would be fun just once for the nostalgia factor though!

Seriously though, it's your vacation and your call. If anything thinks it's weird, that's because they have their own psychological constraints. I remember someone posted here a few years ago. She was on a solo trip and wanted to buy herself a bunch of Mickey balloons at the Magic Kingdom. Is that quirky and creative as an adult? Yep. And fun and awesome and amazing? Also yes! If she wanted to do that at her job as Wall Street investment banker, maybe that should raise some eyebrows. But at Disney World, why not?

My take is: if it makes you happy, then it doesn't matter what the fuddy-duddy people who follow arbitrary "rules" think.

You will notice some people giving you funny looks, but, they tend to be those who think Disney is just for kids. I used to get a bit paranoid about it, but, then I realised I'm probably having a better time than them being able to do what I want, when I want and how I want.
Of course, I still find it slightly offensive when people behind me in a line leave a huge gap, but, they are the one with the problem. It's more than made up for by lovely people who will start a chat with me.

If you are genuinely concerned about what others think, just hold up your cell phone and pretend (or for real) you are recording. If anyone notices, they'll just think you're a vlogger. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!