Spin-Off from Landline Thread: I Still Have/Use a...

LOL. Hey, it is a DIGITAL answering machine, and they still sell them like I posted.

Other antiquated technology in my house, a hand crank can opener, used one to open a can of soup for lunch today. I can't count how many electric can openers we've had in the 35 years we've been married, they never last and take up counter space (we did have an under the cabinet mount can opener, never could get enough leverage to start it.

My computer has a combo drive that reads 3 1/2 floppies and every memory card every made and a CD drive/burner and a DVD drive/burner. I know a lot of computers now don't even come with CD or DVD drives.

Checkbook, paper calendar and weekly planner.

I did laugh at a Family Circus type cartoon where a little boy runs up to his mom and says "look, the Dentist gave me a fancy new toothbrush that doesn't need to be charged or need batteries!"
:woohoo:I was going to declare @kimblebee the winner of this thread for still using her VCR but you snatched victory out from under her with this! :rotfl:

My alarm clock from high school (I'm 44).
It's been a couple of years, but we frequently used a set of walkie talkies. We used them for the kids when they went to the bike and hike trails which had poor cell coverage.
A landline phone and answering machine. I also have a rotary phone in the closet, I figured it could be useful in power outage emergencies.

I didn't realize that some of the things that we have are considered so outdated.

We have a landline and answering machine, VCR, hand operated can opener, clock radios that we use for our alarm clocks, CD players, boom boxes, cookbooks, and a checkbook to name some. I have mostly switched from the paper calendar, though.

I do have a hand can opener and prefer it over electric. I've even gotten rid of my DVDs and player, never used them and it was just more junk. I stream. If I had the right partner, I'd collect vinyl again. I'm down to a couple of hundred hardbacks, have virtually no paperbacks left. I did get a physical copy of the goldfinch when I was in the hospital; it'd been a number of years before that since buying a physical book or magazine despite reading about a hundred books a year. All my periodicals are on apps on my ipad.

I still have a landline with an answering machine (didn't realize that answering machines were out of date), an alarm clock radio (I much prefer waking to music than to the chiming of a phone), and still pay a few of my bills by check. I also still buy blu-rays, but I rarely buy ones that don't have digital copies.

I didn’t even consider a regular can opener being outdated. Electronic can openers did not improve on functionality IMO and depending on the type of can make it harder. They always seemed like a novelty item to me more than anything else.

I don't think it's odd to have an answering machine if you have a land line. Many people still have landlines. I have voice mail on my office phone. Same thing. Same idea.

Also don't think a VHS player is odd if you still have VHS tapes.

As for electric can openers I haven't had one in years. Got one as a wedding gift and it stopped working after year or two. Never replaced it. Never had a ton of counter space in my apartment or first house so it never seemed logical to get one again. Really it take 5 seconds to use my manual opener so why bother replacing it.

I don’t actually think I have any outdated technology. I’m a pretty early adopter and purge older items quickly.

I think the most outdated tech I have is my PS3.

I still use a regular alarm clock (but mostly because I make myself put my phone on the charger in the kitchen at night so I'm not tempted to check it in the middle of the night).

I also still pay all our bills by checks, but only because DH insists that e-bills aren't "safe" (but that sending our bank account routing number through the mail is apparently).

I didn’t even consider a regular can opener being outdated. Electronic can openers did not improve on functionality IMO and depending on the type of can make it harder. They always seemed like a novelty item to me more than anything else.

Electric can openers always seemed to be one of those unnecessary kitchen inventions that they created in the 50s and 60s that every midddleclass american had to have, like electric carving knives and automatic twirling spaghetti forks. :rotfl2:

Electric can openers always seemed to be one of those unnecessary kitchen inventions that they created in the 50s and 60s that every midddleclass american had to have, like electric carving knives and automatic twirling spaghetti forks. :rotfl2:
We were given an electric carving knife as a wedding gift 35 years ago. Only used it at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I stopped using it because a plain old knife is easier and less to clean. My (adult) kids notices and figured the old electric knife was broken and got me a new one for Christmas! Now I have 2 electric knives, and I HAVE to use the new one or my kids will be upset.

Thank you for this! I only use the hand crankers! :)

I will say that an electric wine opener was life changing though. Same with a good mixer.

I love old tech, but dislike clutter. Never have had a landline, but grew up with one. Also miss rotary phones. The development of tech is fascinating to witness, can only marvel at the perspective of those who are in their 90's or over 100 and are of sound enough mind to witness/care.

Paper calendar can be found in the kitchen and cookbooks too. Although they are collecting dust.
As decorator pieces were have an old hand crank phone that belonged to my great grandparents. And an old 1920s White brand foot peddle sewing machine. Although the sewing machine could be operational if needed.

My parents still have their VCR and most of our VHS Disney tapes and others that were purchased. My kids watch them frequently.
My dad still has all of his vinyl from the 60s and 70s and plays it often.
My mom still has her Kenmore 1970s sewing machine and just recently stopped using it because servicing it was going to be more than buying her a new one. So we purchased her a new one that she uses almost daily.

Thank you for this! I only use the hand crankers! :)

I will say that an electric wine opener was life changing though. Same with a good mixer.

I love old tech, but dislike clutter. Never have had a landline, but grew up with one. Also miss rotary phones. The development of tech is fascinating to witness, can only marvel at the perspective of those who are in their 90's or over 100 and are of sound enough mind to witness/care.

Funny, I love tech because it reduces clutter, cds, dvds, books, its fascinating!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter