Spin-off Parking fees... switching hotels

They are not charging day guests, so I don’t think it is going to solve anything. I think it will make you more frustrated not being able to find a spot after paying, when non-paying guests can.

In my experience there are not large numbers of day guests parking overnight in the resort parking lots. Our problem with finding parking has ALWAYS been that the lots are extremely full when returning to the resort in the evenings. I do think the new fees will take care of this problem.

We stayed at AKL last July and used Uber a few times. Excellent service - wished we had used them when we went to Typhoon Lagoon for the day. Took a ridiculous amount of time- I forgot we had to change buses at DS. When we go back to Disney next year I will probably use them for EMH esp. to MK . The biggest shock this year for us - was when I priced the same week/same resort and it was 2k more!!!! Even without the Canadian offer last year this seems excessive. We most likely will head to Universal - RPR. - for a fun vacation in August. I'll use Uber there as well- to avoid the parking fees. In the past - most of the time our car just sat in the parking lot at RPR.

In my experience there are not large numbers of day guests parking overnight in the resort parking lots. Our problem with finding parking has ALWAYS been that the lots are extremely full when returning to the resort in the evenings. I do think the new fees will take care of this problem.

When Disney refers to "Day guests", the dont just mean literally day, when its light out. It would include evening guests as well, as long as they dont park overnight. The problem will not go away. This is doing nothing to keep out the diners, monorail and boat hoppers from being in the lot until the parks close or the restaurants close. You will have the same issues unless Disney designates spaces for paying guests.

From staying at the Poly and Contemporary, I can say without a doubt, at 10 - 11 PM the parking lot is completely full. At 7:30 am, its about 1/4 full. Yacht Club is full all day as their business guests are in meetings all day long with their car parked in the lot. Boardwalk area...full now that they have a character breakfast and people keep their car there to hop the boat to Epcot for the day. PO-FQ..not full the one time I stayed there...but it was September, low season. Im guessing this effects the top tier $24 spots a lot more than the Mods and Values...but I could be wrong.

The Disney Springs hotels are not strict about room occupancy the way Disney is.
This bothers me. It potentially puts a strain on amenities and facilities, as well as overcrowding the buses.

There was no such thing as value and moderate resorts when we started going, if you wanted to stay on site you stayed at a monorail resort, WL or what is now Shades of Green (wasn't military back then).
Did you mean Fort Wilderness, not to be confused with Wilderness Lodge (which opened in 1994?)
dizneed1 said:
Who else have or is contemplating to do the same? I was thinking of parking at Disney Springs then taking transportation back to my resort. Next morning back to DS and using my car for jitterbugging around., but that is just crazy. lol
No overnight parking at DS.

This bothers me. It potentially puts a strain on amenities and facilities, as well as overcrowding the buses.
Not sure why this bothers you? I'm not talking about cheating the system here. Hotels are free to set their own rules regarding room occupancy and many hotels allow 2 adults and 3 children to a room. (I assume the reasoning being that children are smaller than adults.) I run into this frequently since we are a family of 2 adults and 3 children. The Swan/Dolphin also allow 2 adults and 3 children. If you are worried about crowded buses, DS hotels have their own bus system separate from Disneys so they won't be "overcrowding" your Disney buses anyway. The only DS hotel I've stayed in is the Doubletree. Their rooms are all 2 room suites and sleep 6. I actually found the DS hotel buses to be much less crowded than the Disney owned buses. The 1 downside to their buses is that each one stops at 2 parks so they take longer if you are going to the second park. Definitely no crowded amenities during our stay at the Doubletree. We were the only ones at the pool during our pool day there!

Not sure why this bothers you? I'm not talking about cheating the system here. Hotels are free to set their own rules regarding room occupancy and many hotels allow 2 adults and 3 children to a room. (I assume the reasoning being that children are smaller than adults.) I run into this frequently since we are a family of 2 adults and 3 children. The Swan/Dolphin also allow 2 adults and 3 children. If you are worried about crowded buses, DS hotels have their own bus system separate from Disneys so they won't be "overcrowding" your Disney buses anyway. The only DS hotel I've stayed in is the Doubletree. Their rooms are all 2 room suites and sleep 6. I actually found the DS hotel buses to be much less crowded than the Disney owned buses. The 1 downside to their buses is that each one stops at 2 parks so they take longer if you are going to the second park. Definitely no crowded amenities during our stay at the Doubletree. We were the only ones at the pool during our pool day there!
I’m glad you mentioned this because I did not know that.

I’m glad you mentioned this because I did not know that.
One other thing to be aware of is that when going to MK, you will be dropped off at the TTC. Disney only allows their own buses to drop off in front of the MK.

This is where we plan to stay on our next trip (Marriott TownePlace Suites):

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/tra...lando-at-flamingo-crossings-western-entrance/

For a rate of $161/night (All-Star Movies is $140/night for the same dates), we are getting:

- Free hot breakfast buffet
- Zero-entry pool, whirlpool
- Free onsite parking
- Fitness centre
- Studio w/ full kitchen
- Poolside BBQ area

We are also getting three nights free using Marriott points, and earning points on the remainder of the stay. It'll be our first time staying offsite, but seems worth a try at this point!
This is where we plan to stay on our next trip (Marriott TownePlace Suites):

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/tra...lando-at-flamingo-crossings-western-entrance/

For a rate of $161/night (All-Star Movies is $140/night for the same dates), we are getting:

- Free hot breakfast buffet
- Zero-entry pool, whirlpool
- Free onsite parking
- Fitness centre
- Studio w/ full kitchen
- Poolside BBQ area

We are also getting three nights free using Marriott points, and earning points on the remainder of the stay. It'll be our first time staying offsite, but seems worth a try at this point!
We have stayed here a few times. It's a lovely resort and in my opinion far nicer then anything an All Star Resort offers. FYI- Avoid the GPS directions for this resort. It is so much faster to take Western Way to and from Disney Property. Western way is off Lake Buena Vista drive just past Disney's Coronado Springs Resort. This road sees little traffic and it's a straight shot out Disney's back gate under the toll road. Marriott's Town Place sits on the corner of Western Way and Flamingo Crossings. It's at most 5/10 from this hotel to Lake Buena Vista Drive.

We stayed off site once. Never again. It was at one of the "Disney Springs Hotels". We thought it had a musty smell the entire time, but after coming back to the room after a rainy day to find water running down the wall and the carpet all wet we knew why. We called the front desk and they came up with towels and a fan. Hhmm, they didn't seem at all surprised. We also had a clogged toilet (teenage boys!) for about 6 hours (and several angry visits to the front desk) and had to use the lobby bathrooms before anyone came and fixed it. Finally, the continental breakfast was a nightmare. They only seemed to have a couple of people working it each morning. The lines were out to the lobby because they weren't clearing tables or seating people. The worst part of all of this was that when we checked out and they asked us how our stay was, we told them. There was no "I'm sorry", just a "oh". And by the way, we paid $20 a night to park. I'll never stay off site again.

What's this "gem" of a hotel? Do tell. :)
All I will say is it's in Kissimmee, very close to AK via the back roads. Hey, if I give it out here, it may not be a "hidden gem" anymore!! LOL Seriously though, we have tried several hotels in that area and all of them are cheaper than the Disney value resorts, have coffee in the room, mini fridge, you can get a king size bed, and most also have microwaves. Some are definitely not the Ritz, but they are clean, comfortable and convenient to Disney. Since it's just me and DH, we couldn't care less about pools, etc. and we are only in the room to sleep, but having coffee in the room and a free breakfast before we head out are huge perks for us. Even though we get free parking at the theme parks, we do love just parking the car at the Disney resorts and taking their transportation. I will admit that the bus transportation from off site hotels don't hold a candle to Disney so we don't bother, we just drive to the parks. Another issue for us is that most of the AP room discounts are for Sunday through Thursday night only. The majority of our trips are just for the weekend so we don't qualify for the discounted rate. Now this is coming from Florida resident AP holders who have been going to Disney for 12 years now. We have stayed at several of the Disney resorts from value to moderate (no deluxe) so we have gotten our "Disney bubble fix" many many times and feel very fortunate that we have been able to do it. I can see how those who don't get to go very often, or it's their first time, can easily justify paying the parking fees to get the total experience.

Hilton Buena Vista Palace! Using hotel points too. I'm excited to check out the lazy river and it's right next to DS. I never use DME and rarely use the busses (I always drive) so this ended up being a no-brainer for me. This is for our trip in May so I'll be interested in experiencing a nice off property (ish) hotel, instead of my usual Clarion Inn off property hotel, lol.

When Disney refers to "Day guests", the dont just mean literally day, when its light out. It would include evening guests as well, as long as they dont park overnight. The problem will not go away. This is doing nothing to keep out the diners, monorail and boat hoppers from being in the lot until the parks close or the restaurants close. You will have the same issues unless Disney designates spaces for paying guests.

From staying at the Poly and Contemporary, I can say without a doubt, at 10 - 11 PM the parking lot is completely full. At 7:30 am, its about 1/4 full. Yacht Club is full all day as their business guests are in meetings all day long with their car parked in the lot. Boardwalk area...full now that they have a character breakfast and people keep their car there to hop the boat to Epcot for the day. PO-FQ..not full the one time I stayed there...but it was September, low season. Im guessing this effects the top tier $24 spots a lot more than the Mods and Values...but I could be wrong.
Last time I was at YC (October) they had construction or something going on in the main lot, so there was NO PARKING anywhere. There were 2 open rows & that's it. People were parking on the grass. It was super frustrating to come back to the hotel at noon to go swimming and have the CM just give me a blank look when I asked where I was supposed to park.

We stayed off site once. Never again. It was at one of the "Disney Springs Hotels". We thought it had a musty smell the entire time, but after coming back to the room after a rainy day to find water running down the wall and the carpet all wet we knew why.
To me, it seems rather odd to judge an entire region by one bad hotel experience, some time ago. I mean the Orlando area has over 68,500 hotel rooms, with over a THOUSAND BRAND NEW hotel rooms added in just 2017 alone!

JUST 2 of the new options opening this year:
1. Universal's Aventura - Aug - 600 guest rooms, with 16stories, and a rooftop bar/grill
2. Margaritaville Resort- Nov- 175 guest rooms, 1,000 vacation homes, with a 12 acre water park, dining complex, plus an onsite water taxi!

And just to round this out further, We've had a multiple BAD experiences at onsite WDW hotel rooms over the years, yet we returned- because we've also had a number of excellent stays. I'm not advising you to return to place that was terrible, just that it seems odd to condemn an entire region based on one bad experience, when there are so many stunning hotels in the immediate area, including brand new ones.

I have an existing reservation. I booked a bounce back in September. I will not be canceling it at this point unless I have to make a change in my reservation.

I've stayed off site a number of times. The hotels or resorts have usually been near the main gate with multi bedrooms. Each time it's been an absolutely wonderful time. I will say the only issue is not wanting to leave the park to go back to the resort in the middle of the day.

This year I got an annual pass to see the benefits of staying on site. I loved staying on site I've been with my kids and without. The issue I have is when I have my kids I need a car my 2 youngest have sensory issues and just don't have the patience for the bus system. My oldest and I no problem using the buses. Me by myself no problem as well but just can't do it with my boys. So unfortunately this will probably be our last year on property while traveling with the whole family. I just can't afford the resort prices and the parking fees on top of that.

To me, it seems rather odd to judge an entire region by one bad hotel experience, some time ago. I mean the Orlando area has over 68,500 hotel rooms, with over a THOUSAND BRAND NEW hotel rooms added in just 2017 alone!

JUST 2 of the new options opening this year:
1. Universal's Aventura - Aug - 600 guest rooms, with 16stories, and a rooftop bar/grill
2. Margaritaville Resort- Nov- 175 guest rooms, 1,000 vacation homes, with a 12 acre water park, dining complex, plus an onsite water taxi!

And just to round this out further, We've had a multiple BAD experiences at onsite WDW hotel rooms over the years, yet we returned- because we've also had a number of excellent stays. I'm not advising you to return to place that was terrible, just that it seems odd to condemn an entire region based on one bad experience, when there are so many stunning hotels in the immediate area, including brand new ones.
I'm so happy that Margaritaville is happening! I heard about this a while ago, I can NOT wait!

I don't have any illusions about their operating as a business and maybe it's a bit naive but I liked the thought that they felt I as a customer deserved an explanation, even a thin one. Now I'm apparently not even worth that effort, because they know there is someone waiting behind me should I step aside. That bothers me much more than fees and prices.
Matt

#1 - You don't "deserve" anything

#2 - You are absolutely correct. It is economics 101 or supply and demand. Disney is very popular, and they will continue to do what ever they can to maximize revenue and profits. If you say this is too much, there are plenty willing to pay the extra and more.

Prices will and should continue to rise until enough people stop going. then we know what the buyers will tolerate. Right now, Disney is still under priced based on the occupancy rates of the hotels, parks, and restaurants.

Disney is getting out of hand with their prices. I get it's a business, but it's losing it's magical appeal. Pretty sad really.

I've been to Disney World three times; summertime, Halloween and Christmas. I've seen it at it's most exciting times and I will no longer be going there. Rising prices plus a whole world out there to explore, I'm all good now. Love you Disney World, but peace!

Edit: I always took a plane there, never drove. But enough is enough.

We have stayed here a few times. It's a lovely resort and in my opinion far nicer then anything an All Star Resort offers. FYI- Avoid the GPS directions for this resort. It is so much faster to take Western Way to and from Disney Property. Western way is off Lake Buena Vista drive just past Disney's Coronado Springs Resort. This road sees little traffic and it's a straight shot out Disney's back gate under the toll road. Marriott's Town Place sits on the corner of Western Way and Flamingo Crossings. It's at most 5/10 from this hotel to Lake Buena Vista Drive.

Thank you! So glad to read your review.

#1 - You don't "deserve" anything

#2 - You are absolutely correct. It is economics 101 or supply and demand. Disney is very popular, and they will continue to do what ever they can to maximize revenue and profits. If you say this is too much, there are plenty willing to pay the extra and more.

Prices will and should continue to rise until enough people stop going. then we know what the buyers will tolerate. Right now, Disney is still under priced based on the occupancy rates of the hotels, parks, and restaurants.

Disney has historically set a precedent and taught us to expect their formerly very high standards and that I will always be treated like a loyal customer and held in high regard. They have taught me that I do deserve an explanation and a gain in value. For decades, that was their model, magic and pixie dust, happy customers will come back and spend more. This whole debacle indicates a change in the winds, that's the unsettling part. As we see more and more fees with less and less effort to justify them, the experience will suffer. Guests will become less forgiving when they feel less special. We are moving in to the late stage of most capitalist corporations cycle. The drive for profit is now consuming their standards for their brand and product. A great example of this is EA games. They've become very corrupted by short term profits and their position in the market has suffered. Now they are seeing the long coming rebellion of their customers. EA sales and stocks are starting to suffer as they've burned up their customer goodwill. It's going to be pretty difficult for them to reverse this damage now. You can only burn bridges so long before you strand yourself.

I don't know that I agree with "should" rise. Will rise, yes, but should? I think Disney is sacrificing their magic and customer satisfaction in the long run for profit now. Many companies do this, and they fall victim to the inertia. People tolerate more than than would normally because of the Disney magic, nostalgia, brand loyalty. Once they do finally turn, it's going to happen far past what it should be "normally" and Disney is going to have to fight that same inertia to win back their customers. Prices will not level off where the market will bear, it will overshoot and correct. Those of us with 401ks know that market inertia is a real thing!

Matt

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!