Spinal injury first timer to WDW

Alex Smart

Earning My Ears
Hi I’m going to WDW with my family this summer, I’m a c6 spinal injury so no movement chest down, no balance I’ve read all sorts about the rides being accessible but could I have more information on this if possible please, are they suitable for no core balance? If I’ve transferred out of my chair with help and on a roller coaster will my legs just flop about?

Any advice/info would be much as appreciated

Thanks Alex

Welcome!
You will be able to stay in your wheelchair for all shows. Some rides have wheelchair accessible ride cars; most will accommodate a power and manual wheelchairs.
I only have a few minutes, so am going to post a link to the disABILITIES FAQs thread posts 18 -20 on page 1 of that thread and post 21 on page 2 should be helpful. Those posts talk about the transfer for different attractions and whether they have a wheelchair accessible vehicle.
Post 23 has info about attractions with warnings.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/

Some roller coasters are more turbulent than others. For example - Rock N Roller Coaster and 7 Dwarfs Mine Train are generally thought of as smoother roller coasters (but, Rock N Roller Coaster does have an inversion).
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Primeval Whirl are more turbulent and some people without disabilities find they move around in them.

Hi
I am a C5/C6 spinal injury of almost 40 years and have visited WDW 6 times since 1998 and I am going again this April.
I am confined to my electric wheelchair and have had no problems with any ride classed as "wheelchair Accessible"
Although I did have to hang on tight in my chair at the bumpy end to the AK Kilimanjaro Safari ride.
As for the roller coaster type rides most are seated with you inside a car with a bottom for your feet unlike the suspended coasters at Seaworld or Busch Gardens where your legs hang down.
Ask a Cast Member if you can check out the seating on a ride and if you think it will be OK go for it.
I have done Earthquake and Men in Black at Universal and been on an Air Boat ride with no problems after checking them out.
Only you know what your body will take, just make sure you have someone with you to get on the ride.
I hope you enjoy your trip

Hi

Although I did have to hang on tight in my chair at the bumpy end to the AK Kilimanjaro Safari ride.

On KS, make sure you get in one of the first two rows. The difference between there and further back on the ride is incredible in terms of bumpiness. And to the poster above, if you were already in the first couple rows, I sympathize. It must have been super-bumpy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts